Popup at the RTR?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevchriss

Reaction score
I have a travel trailer that pops straight up about 18" with tent canvas all the way around.  I was wondering how it would do at the RTR.  Would high wind have a bad effect?  Could I keep enough heat inside?  I've never traveled out west.  Thanks for your insight.

I'm sure you know the RTR has ended this year... it will be back in 2019. A pop up should do fine there against the wind. There were several pop ups there this year. As far as cold, it does get chilly at night, but not bad. Three years ago, it was consistently cold, and got cold enough to freeze at night. Even still if you have a heat source (stove top, little buddy heater) and some good blankets you'll be fine.

Just make sure all your bungies and/or straps and hooks are good. If you have a few that are broken, the wind can get under there and ruin your day.

When we did cold temps in a pop-up, we got Reflectix and made liners for the canvas area that we took down and put up as needed. We also made cut-outs for the windows which help in both hot and cold weather in a pop top or a complete hardside trailer.

kevchriss said:
I have a travel trailer that pops straight up about 18" with tent canvas all the way around.  I was wondering how it would do at the RTR.  Would high wind have a bad effect?  Could I keep enough heat inside?  I've never traveled out west.  Thanks for your insight.

I attended last years RTR in a Coleman pop up tent trailer and then stayed in the area (mostly near Ehrenberg and Quartzsite) until May. It was a great time.

There were wind and rain storms and sometimes felt like it might blow over but all in all it was a good way for me to get started.

Mostly the pop up was what I could afford and it got me started with solar and figuring out all the basic stuff of living mobile.

This year I came back with a small class C but never would have gotten started if I didn’t spend last year in the pop up.

It was a great living challenge and experience. The people I met along the way helped me figure out what I couldn’t. I hauled it 1600 miles one way to RTR and am so glad I did.

Have a heater and a warm sleeping bag for RTR and from there it begins to warm up about 10 degrees a month until May when I left it was 109 degrees.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to use me as a resource.

Happy travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 3500 campers attended RTR, although over for this year there are still approximately 250,000 campers wintering in Quartzsite. Your pop up will be fine...

It will start to thin out in early March, by April it’s pretty much back to a lonely desert truck and fuel stop...

It is already thinning out. You can actually throw rocks in the desert again without hitting campers. The giant RV lots are emptying out. Tents are vanishing overnight. Great deals can be found everywhere. It is up in the 80’s during the day.

Latest posts