pontiac vibe question?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livesimply5

Reaction score
does anyone own or know is a pontiac vibe is a reliable car? ivr read good things and want to take back seats out for some car dwelling/traveling..

It's a Toyota Matrix. They are based on the corolla.

The Vibe is a great car. I'm driving a 2005. I bought it from my sister. Keep up on the maintenance and drive it for years. Both my sister and I have only had to replace small parts.

I'm going to miss this sweet little ride, when I leave New England this summer.

I've got an '07, love it!! Good on gas and super versatile. Pontiac outside with Toyota Corolla motor. No need to take out back seats, they fold down for a flat surface. I fit a slim twin blow up mattress on the bigger split side with the front seat folded forward. You'd also be amazed how much you can haul in them, had a full size desk back there laying on it's side, still had to strap it down because it had room to slide around. There's a forum for Vibe lovers, GenVibe I think? Right now I'm letting my daughter borrow it until they find another, but think her bf loves it so much, he may be looking for one like it himself. :) I do miss zipping around in her sometimes, but still have el Van Halen to take me places.

'04 Matrix here. When I first bought it with 20k I took it to a Toyota master mechanic to see what needed to be done. He said come back at 90k for a check up. He said the reliability of these cars was sending him to the poor house. It now has 150k with fluid/filter changes, one tie rod end, two front rotors, pads and spark plugs replaced. Timing belt is considered a life part. Valves don't need adjustment (unless overheated or head work perhaps). 32+ Mpg. We have a smaller motor that I'm not sure came with the Vibe.
Sleeping is the back is quite good. The area is not much smaller than a shortbed pickup.. It holds a lot of stuff. Camped out of it many times. The offset rear seats are a plus, so is the passenger fold down seat for carrying 8' lumber. We installed a hitch and tow a small trailer occasionally.
Can't say enough about the 'Corrolla Wagon of the 21st Century'

A high quality car and can be had for cheaper than the Toyota because you aren't paying for the "Toyota" name.