Polyiso+laminate floor teardown results

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reducto

Reaction score
I had to set up my NV200 in a hurry so I went as simple as I could with the floor. 1/2" polyiso sheet with the cheapest, thinnest laminate flooring I could find. The floor of the van has ribs that are about 3/8" high with 2" wide low spots. There are a few large voids, one of which was where the middle leg of the bed would be. That leg took most of my 250 lb weight when getting in and out of bed. Common sense says to put down a subfloor or at least lay something in the voids so the polyiso has something solid to sit on. I did not do that. I also did not glue or screw anything down.

I lived in the van for the equivalent of about 2 years, then used it to clear out a hoarder house and haul furniture around. Some of the loads were pretty heavy.

I just pulled it all up to see how bad the polyiso was crushed by this abuse. It wasn't! There is at most a 1/32" difference where the big voids were, almost no difference at the ribs. The laminate did get scuffed pretty badly, it's still functional but is not pretty. The pieces pulled apart from each other a little over time and dirt accumulated in the gaps. It held screws well enough to keep furniture from shifting. Anything large or heavy was also attached to the wall.

If I do another build I will definitely not worry about a subfloor. The only thing I'd change is to glue or otherwise bind the flooring planks to each other.

thanks for the info. I was just contemplating insulating my floor. the floor of my trailer gets real cold it's just 3/4 plywood. I was thinking of going with 1" polyiso then that diamond pattern rubber flooring they sell for trailer floors.

so as far as regular traffic goes it sounds like I will be ok. I wonder how it will be with mounting stuff. I don't mean to the poly, but to sandwich the poly. for instance right now my bed has three mounts to the floor. they are screwed to the 3/4 ply floor. I wonder how that would work with the poly and rubber flooring in between?

any opinions on this? from anybody?

highdesertranger

If you are really concerned about crushing you can do what I do on walls. Just use a hole saw with a very short pilot bit to cut out the foam wherever you want to put a screw. Then cut up a 1” hardwood dowel in lengths the same thickness as the insulation. Gorilla Glue in the hole then the dowel with a predrilled hole in the center and screw it down to keep it in place or just go ahead and mount whatever you need to mount. I would use an oversized hole in the dowel since you have 3/4” plywood below to screw into just to make sure the screw going through the dowel doesn’t give you any problems.

yeah I was thinking of just cutting around the mounts but I was thinking I would get better results on keeping the rubber and poly as one solid piece.

highdesertranger

Yeah, I like that. Any shape 1" thick wood could work as well, just cut a matching hole in the insulation and gorilla glue it into place.

BTW I used polyiso because that's what was available locally. XPS (usually blue or pink) should work just as well if that's what they stock where you live.

I used a layer of reflectix under plywood floor to smooth out the dips. I recommend using T&G plywood, as the small gap between plywood sheets developed and was a magnet for spills of course. Alternatively, you could caulk the seam like in a boat, but not as pretty as T&G plywood. Floor finish was polyurethane clear which resulted in a tan colored floor that is waterproof.  I did not need the extra insulation on the floor, just the walls and sleeping area which is raised. Polyiso is my goto for insulation, and I am still happy with how my walls and ceiling insulation warmed up the place. 

However, I am not currently camping in the North during the winter season. For sub freezing temperatures, check out ice house construction methods, which include heavy insulation on the floor, along with holes for fishing.
~crofter

Description: link to ice house construction, youtube video shows him catching a fish through the floor

Description: here is one that shows the spare tire, jacks, awning, etc. You can get it as a toyhauler and bring along your snow machine.

highdesertranger said:
thanks for the info.  I was just contemplating insulating my floor.  the floor of my trailer gets real cold it's just 3/4 plywood.  I was thinking of going with 1" polyiso then that diamond pattern rubber flooring they sell for trailer floors.

so as far as regular traffic goes it sounds like I will be ok.  I wonder how it will be with mounting stuff.  I don't mean to the poly,  but to sandwich the poly.  for instance right now my bed has three mounts to the floor.  they are screwed to the 3/4 ply floor.  I wonder how that would work with the poly and rubber flooring in between?

any opinions on this? from anybody?

highdesertranger
I pre built mounting cleats from the back side of the plywood flooring, and also used existing D rings to hold down the floor. Everything in my van is secured to the floor from those cleats. 

I installed wood ribs to mount the plywood to the walls, insulation pockets in between are about 3 inches deep. 
Ceiling insulation is hot glued to the ceiling between metal ribs. covered with hot glued reflectix layer and a few wood ribs that run front to back.

I used thinner floor and ceiling insulation in order to maximize standing space in a standard cargo van, but still stays pretty warm in there.

It has been 120 degrees here most of the summer, and the hot glue is holding up fine.  
~crofter

An ice castle ice house, says new for $35k. Ouch. More fish catching from this one. Can you tell I like ice fishing.
Check out the giant lake trout he caught on that tiny rod.
~crofter

Description: youtube video on the ice

This guy is using his as a vacation rental, does not need to own any land.

Here is another fish story. 
Description: link to ice house thread on CRVL with another big fish story embedded in it. These guys are in a tent type icehouse and their heater quit, clearly clothing and equipment makes a difference. I would like to know what their brand of winter gear, flexible and keeps you warm in the wet.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=29812&pid=435915#pid435915

Angie says her rig will heat 100 degrees above the outside temperature, so that is some good insulation and heater. 
~crofter

yeah my trailer walls and ceiling are already insulated. for the ceiling we just cut the polyiso to fit tight between the ribs. it stays up by itself, no glue needed. then I covered it all with 1/8 ply. the walls are the same. highdesertranger

The Yeti icehouse, only 4000 pounds, but not much to say about the interior and no fish were caught in the video. The down side of an icehouse with a floor, is that you are stuck with that one size of hole. If you are catching the big lake trout as seen in previous videos, could be a problem.
~crofter

Description: link to video

but they also sell custom shells you can finish yourself.
https://yettioutdoors.com/products/yetti-shell-c612/

New price for this one is about $20.5K new, so cheaper than the other brands, and also less sexy as in no big screen TV, no underwater cams, etc.
https://www.kroubetz.com/inventory/2020-yetti-angler-a614-dk-3627

These are aluminum frame, and according to the MFG can be pulled by an ATV, so no need to get your fancy truck out on the ice.
~crofter