Political vs partisan (for Mod consideration)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Reaction score
With all due respect, I believe that the spirit of the rule prohibiting political posts is more about avoiding partisan bickering than it is intended as a universal blanket to be used to censor anything even remotely related to political interests as they may affect our nomadic lifestyle.

I agree that partisan bickering is unwelcome here. At the same time, I also agree that as people who live in a country where our participation as citizens as expected, that we ought to be able to civilly converse about political influence on our lifestyle without it necessarily resorting to, or being over generalized as, partisan bickering. And, if there's no partisan bickering then there's no need to censor civilized political inquiry and discussion.

I think there's enough dogmatism in the world that we don't need to invite it here by pretending that any political mention it somehow contrary to the spirit of what was intended.

In my opinion, there's no substantial difference between a question of how a new administration might affect our lifestyle, and a question about whether we ought to be concerned about scorpions in the desert. Agreed?

Related to that point is something that I encounter frequently enough here to raise as well. A question doesn't necessarily imply worrying about the subject of the question. We ask questions to get more information. Not necessarily because we're worried, but because we want to be informed. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be informed, and for blanket responses like I've seen, which imply that any such questions are synonymous with worrying, seems equally dogmatic to me.

Just as questions may be asked without worry, I think it's also true that political statements may be offered without necessarily implying some partisan bashing mindset. I hope the mods will come to a similar conclusion in their discussion about how to handle political posts going forward.

Respectfully submitted for fair-minded consideration. Thank you.

Richard said:
In my opinion, there's no substantial difference between a question of how a new administration might affect our lifestyle, and a question about whether we ought to be concerned about scorpions in the desert. Agreed?

I disagree. Interesting you choose scorpions in the desert as an analogy, but that aside, I am glad this board has been kept mostly free of political bickering through the entire election season. 

There is seriously nothing concrete to discuss, or even speculate upon, with am administration that has yet to even make their first policy-related statements post-election...let alone take office. Which means that, from what I've seen, most all speculation will be negative and fear-based...which quickly turns partisan.

If/when a new administration takes office and attempts to pass legislation that might impact mobile dwellers, then we have something to talk about. Until then, I really appreciate this site remaining focused on topics that actually relate to cheap RV living.

"With all due respect, I believe that the spirit of the rule prohibiting political posts is more about avoiding partisan bickering..."

Sorry. You're mistaken. We don't allow any kind of political anything. Occasionally, because we're human, views on what's political may differ. 
No political posts/threads of any kind are allowed on the CRVL forums. There are all kinds of forums, all over the interwebz to discuss politics.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.