Police scanner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been looking at getting a digital trunking scanner (police) and seems like Whistler and Uniden are the main ones to look at these days.
Uniden offers the bcd436hp (8 yr old design) and the sds100 (2 yr old design), which are both very capable units. The sds100 is a software defined radio which is the way of the future in sophisticated radio design it seems. Whistler has the tx-1 which is more in line with the bcd436hp, technically speaking.

In terms of energy, keeping the sds100 charged will be much more demanding than the other two.

Basically, I am trying to decide if the sds100 is worth the extra cost (25% more). I plan to use it at home and also carry it with me on my camping excursions.

What frequency scanner do you use and what are your thoughts on this topic?

I haven't used a scanner in years and have been wondering about the trunking and digital aspects. Programming must get interesting and where do you get the data to set them up?

I have heard some amazing things on a scanner way back when.

Guy

Most police channels are encrypted now days. You will probably not be able to listen to very many only ones with old technology.

I joke with law enforcement here as they are so few they seldom have enough people to get the job done but end up having to have someone to do crowd control so they hand me a radio as I am retired now and I ask them if having a radio makes me an official member of the “secret squirrel society” as I get to listen to all the tactical traffic! The last thing I want to hear nowadays is other people having problems.

These units are pretty simple to program. Basically you download the database to your scanner, and then enter the zip code you are interested in monitoring. The scanner then loads the frequencies and trunking data for your unit to monitor. A lot of transmissions now are digital, only some are encrypted, so you at least need a digital trunking unit. Occasionally some departments still use analog signals, like the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. But the rest of my state is digital. Some have GPS options so that as your travel down the highway the scanner will update to your new location. These units also monitor weather and aviation frequencies.

I find that about 95% of police radio traffic is so routine and generic that I can't keep the darn thing turned on...too annoying....

You can listen to hundreds (if not thousands) of scanner audio feeds for free, on any of the many scanner feeds on the internet and thru the various apps for smartphones.

Here is one, there are many others:

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/

I have a Radio Shack Pro 164 trunking scanner and my favorite feature is the Signal Stalker, which scans for nearby RF signals (within 1/8 of a mile normally) and stops on a detected signal to hear the broadcast.

When out in the boonies, it's normally handheld radios and police/rangers, so I know when they are nearby.  If the signal is encrypted, I hear a digital noise, but know it's most likely LEO very close by.

In Quartzsite the ATV/UTV crowd likes FRS/GMRS radios and are sometimes interesting to monitor.

There is also a fair amount of 2 meter amateur radio traffic as well.

The streaming websites offer only limited frequencies and are also timed delayed. Only a fraction of the channels are available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've not found any thing on the police radio I think to listen to.

Years ago where I worked we had a police scanner, and we had a family in town that got a lot of calls. One day the dispatcher told one of the officers to go by the Pryors house, and the officer asked East side or West side. He didn't need the address, and then another officer got the radio and called out the tag number, make and model of one of the kids cars.

This family was well known in town for causing problems.

Freelander said:
I have thought about a Hand Held CB.
I have 2 trucking radios. One portable, but u can pl ug it into ac, or cig. Plug. The other one is for home use. Last year I put a 600.00 cb radio in. Some one cut my cord to the outside. Have not got it fixed yet. Where r u located at , at this time. If u r not to far apart, maybe we can meetup and talk personal. Maybe to see what we can work out. Being by myself, one doesnt really know who might come along, kill u and take every u have. Traveling with some one, I would feel safer.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk