Please Critique My System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArmorAbby said:
Yes, both batteries read same voltage. I tested each on its own, and together as a positive on one and negative on the other.
There was no sun today but there will be tomorrow. But even without sun, the isolater should keep it up, right?
I got a new multimeter and the read from the isolater is weird. Its an auto thing and I have no clue what it thinks its reading from the isolater but its almost 150somethings.
Im really just so tired of this now... I don't even wanna deal with it anymore and need to just leave it alone and not think about it for a while which is pretty much impossible sitting right next to it. Moody woman now... it'll pass...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Wish I could take a look at it for you.  Is there anyone on the forum nearby that could lend a hand?

Its all good. Thanks. Turns out it was all working fine.. Mr. Trebor English went through it with me. It was all the fault of the thermo-cooler which I now understand the anti-thermocooler sentiment. It just takes way too much power even if power is free. Im actually sitting in the drivers seat right now typing this about to start the van and take it to return it and make one of these..

that's neat with 10lbs you can probably throw a 6 pack of cans in the ice itself.

48 quart cooler with two layers of R5 surrounding. Will trim the foam when its dry. Leaves me 8"x7"x16" for container, ice, and food/drink

63d4b54908a136c8275f774b8f12b0aa.jpg

0a3c0c3669cb39e7be3afe9ba81fa7ae.jpg

Abby, I hate to rain on your parade there, but I dont think that poly board is food grade, or rated for constant exposure to water.

Plus what about all the melt water that leaks down beneath the foam?

Or will it have another plastic container inside?

:huh:

Nice.  The thicker insulation went faster and nicer than the thin stuff I used.  8x7x16 is only 15.5 quarts.  That should hold 10 pounds of ice and about 5 quarts of food.  What's for dinner?    : )

tx2sturgis said:
Abby, I hate to rain on your parade there, but I dont think that poly board is food grade, or rated for constant exposure to water.

Plus what about all the melt water that leaks down beneath the foam?

Or will it have another plastic container inside?

:huh:
Containers inside and although it wasnt in the tutorial I got heavy grade tarp to line it. If some moisture does happen to get through, this type has moisture-wick so if it works like my moisture wicking clothes, should be alright if I air it out now and then if necessary

Trebor English said:
Nice.  The thicker insulation went faster and nicer than the thin stuff I used.  8x7x16 is only 15.5 quarts.  That should hold 10 pounds of ice and about 5 quarts of food.  What's for dinner?    : )
lol dunno, depends whats the Managers Special at the market [emoji1]

Nice cheap custom cooler/icebox ideas. A strong enough outer shell could be a seating bench bed component, can make it bigger than even those very pricey Pelican or Yeti units, but just the right height for under!

Plastic tub 3-4" less all 'round for food storage inside, expanding foam completely filling that gap between on all five sides.

Insulated tight-fitting top with cushion for more insulation, inside holding a rack for "polar tubes", no messy melt water to deal with. https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=313648#pid313648

Save up for one day a Danfoss-based marine icebox conversion kit, sliding partition for a freezer one side spillover fridge on the other setup.

PS XPS foam board doesn't absorb water.

I just went shopping to fill it. I got 8lbs of ice, I certainly could have.. or feel like I shoud have.. gotten more. But Ill work with this for now. So far fits my dozen harboiled eggs, cheeses, yogurts, and... I didnt put my drink in there, but a good amount of room. I started with a 48quart Igloo cooler. Used R5 insulation doubled up. Two layers. 1" thick each so 2" all around making R10.

Latest posts