Plants Van Log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO there is no need to bolt down the plywood.

I've been building out vans since the 70s and have never bolted a floor down yet. Friction fit and having components screwed down the to floor and attached to the walls is all that is needed.

Bolting down means either sealing the bolt holes against water penetration or knowing that road splash is going to work it's way up through the bolt holes sooner or later causing wood rot and floor rust. IMO the fewer holes in the body of the van the better.

I ended up bolting it down.  The paranoia in me wants everything as solid as possible.  The holes were stuffed with lap sealant, and bolt heads on the bottom of the van will be coated towards the end of the build as I need to complete the repair of other holes made by the previous owner.

Attached is a picture showing the chaos after putting up the furring strips and insulation.  Insulation is a combination of Great Stuff spray foam, fiberglass and polyiso.

Attachments

• IMG_0917.jpeg
    IMG_0917.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0925.jpeg
    IMG_0925.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 7
An old friend had a 350 from the same generation.

It was a real workhorse. But it was still more quiet and comfortable than the earlier generations of vans. I think you're going to have a good rig.

Hi bluegoatwoods.

I drove it 200 miles home and it drove great, and nice and quiet as well, it will probably be more so once I'm done. The guy I bought it from did all the maintenance. I think its going to keep on ticking like a Timex watch, especially with me babying it down the road at the speed limit and keeping the maintenance up. We'll see but I think it will see 300k miles before I'm done with it.