Plants Van Log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plant

Reaction score
I picked up my 2003 Ford E350 van yesterday.  It's a single owner vehicle and I have all the maintenance records.  It had 187k miles on it and drives absolutely great, and runs like a top.  No leaks, no repairs needed that I am aware of at this time.  The relatively new Yokohama tires have about 85 percent tread remaining. 

I am still in the planning stages on what type of build out I'm going to do.  I think the first upgrade will be a reverse camera, so I'll start looking into those.  One picture for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 14
Good looking truck. Lol, how does a back up camera make it to the top of your "to get" list?? Joking, I've got one on my list too, just further down the line.

What engine?

Nice looking van, i've always liked those FORD wheel covers. The only reason I can see for a backup camera (to me) is to line up the hitch ball with your TOAD, otherwise it's just more technology to keep track of, pay for, and possibly to replace when it breaks.

I wired my back-up camera to be on when I have the parking or headlights on (wired into tail-light line). It makes it easy to know when I have passed someone and it is safe to pull back in. I leave mine on whenever I am driving. Of course mine is mounted high on the back and sure fills in the blind spot right behind the van. You know, the one you can't see with the side mirrors. My back window stays covered all the time.

MaTaLa said:
Good looking truck. Lol, how does a back up camera make it to the top of your "to get" list?? Joking, I've got one on my list too, just further down the line.

What engine?

Safety and security is job one. :)

It's a 5.4L.  The seller said he has gotten 17 mpg on the highway.  If I can get 15 - 17 I'd be happy myself.  

ckelly78z said:
Nice looking van, i've always liked those FORD wheel covers. The only reason I can see for a backup camera (to me) is to line up the hitch ball with your TOAD, otherwise it's just more technology to keep track of, pay for, and possibly to replace when it breaks.

I'll be doing an overall initial assessment of various build options from my notes during the coming days.  We'll see how it fits in.  I am trying to keep the cost and complexity down as much as possible, but I feel a camera would be of use for Walmart parking lots and such.  

B and C said:
I wired my back-up camera to be on when I have the parking or headlights on (wired into tail-light line).  It makes it easy to know when I have passed someone and it is safe to pull back in.  I leave mine on whenever I am driving.  Of course mine is mounted high on the back and sure fills in the blind spot right behind the van.  You know, the one you can't see with the side mirrors.  My back window stays covered all the time.

What model are you using?  Do you like it?

I installed the system 4 years ago. Dang if I can remember the make and models of the stuff I installed.

Here is a link to a camera that looks exactly like what I installed: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Waterproof-Backup-Camera-Infra-red/dp/B002L87KAM?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6

I put in a rearview mirror with a monitor built in like this: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...oem-rear-view-replacement-mirror-monitor.html

I tied the two together with a wireless transmitter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camecho-Wire...ocphy=9027693&hvtargid=pla-405042869998&psc=1

The wireless part is a little flakey. I have the receiver in the overhead right by the CB radio antenna input. When near large metropolitan areas, the video image roll and has bars in it. I think the CB antenna is leaking just enough RF to interfere with the signal. CB's are busy near towns and cities.

The interference could be overcome with hardwiring them together or maybe separation of the CB and receiver. It is not enough of a bother for me to try and rearrange things.. The path from the back to the front to run the small coax was just too daunting in my Roadtrek. The underside is jam packed full.

Yeah, I can imagine how a cable path could be a challenge on a Roadtdrek.  When I was figuring out what van to buy I watched many videos on them.  They are full (complete) for sure.  I was actually wanting to buy one but the prices were too high for me.  Then I started thinking, maybe a blank slate would be way to go, and sure enough as luck would have it, I came across my E350 for a good price.

And being a blank slate, it allows me to plan for cable runs.  I've been thinking of some type of dedicated channel on the drivers side floor to wall area.  That's all still foggy as I work on layout, but I'll be keeping it in mind.

I probably won't do full time camera on while driving, more of a parking lot aid.  Maybe something like this Pyle:  https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Mon...0&sr=8-7&keywords=pyle+rear+camera+for+trucks

When I had my Dodge vans back in the '70's, the channel up by the ceiling was handy for running cables. The channel ran from the back all the way to the windshield pillars where wires could be snaked to behind the dash. I think most vans still have those channels. A 1x4 decorative trim piece up there made access easy later.

My E350 came with a backup camera mounted in the back bumper, which I thought was great. Took me about 3 seconds to discover that the image was backwards :rolleyes:
The visibility is limited due to the location. If I had done it, I would have put it higher up (and, you know, done it right).

I have a rear facing camera that I use fulltime like a rear view mirror because I can't see out the back of my Class C.  I mounted it in the same place as the center rearview mirror since the mirror was useless anyhow.  I used a quad monitor hooked up three cameras.  One camera on top rear looking down at the bumper for close quarters backing, a rear facing camera mounted low under the back window that I use while driving, and one on the right side for backing into places since it's hard to see the RR corner through the mirror. They all run off of 12v and hook up with RCA style cable that you buy separately.  You can get cable with a power cord but my experience is they don't supply enough power to the cameras, so I wired power separately.  I'm happy with the products I used and would buy them again. The cameras have a pigtail you can leave connected or clip to change the image between mirror view or straight view.

Camera I used   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P914W7C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quad Monitor I used (there is a similar monitor for single camera)  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019U4ZZMY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the info and feedback on your backup cameras.  I ended up going with a Pyle monitor and camera package (PLCM7700).  It's not the one that I linked earlier, I believe it's a slightly older model.  I chose it because.

• It has a slightly smaller screen at 7 inches, making placement easier.  I prefer it unobtrusive as I'll only be using it for parking lots.
  • It was cheaper than the one I was at earlier at $58.64 for the package.
  • The camera is small.
  • For what its worth, Pyle is a brand a I recognize.

Today I mostly spent my time cleaning out the garage to make room to work on the van.  I had to move 21 - 80 pound bags of concrete to another location. That was fun, lol.  Somehow I managed to get it done with my back still feeling good. Slow and easy.

I also removed the back seat out of the van.  The original owner had installed it.  I also did some poking around, and removed the engine cover - no leaks anywhere, looking clean.  The attached picture is before removing the bench.

B and C, once I empty out the interior I should be able to better determine if it has a channel like you mentioned for wires.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0811.jpeg
    IMG_0811.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0817.jpeg
    IMG_0817.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 12
I should note that this van is nice and quiet going down the road.  Today I was removing the interior in the rear getting it prepared for finishing and I can see why.  I found some nice sound deadening underlay under the carpet and fiberglass insulation in the walls.  The fiberglass wall insulation will remain, and I'll augment it with additional insulation.  I'll be doing some type of faux wood flooring.  I'd like to reuse that underlay but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea with the hard floor.  I'll have to research that.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 13
Here is a picture with most of the interior removed.  I still need to remove the old floor slats and plug holes in the floor from the rear seat and miscellaneous screws.

But that can wait.  Time for a spaghetti dinner.   Here is the beginning of my marinara sauce, and its almost ready!  Good, healthy and cheaper than prepared.

Recipe:
28 once can of crushed organic tomatoes.
28 once can of petite diced organic tomatoes.
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
some salt, not too much
3 teaspoons of crushed red pepper
some maple syrup, not too much
1 shake of tabasco for good luck
1 small splash of whiskey if you have it

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpeg
    IMG_0852.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 11
If there is a moderator out there watching this thread, can you please rename it to "Plants Van Log" ?  I can't make you real spaghetti, but I will offer a virtual plate. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 8
... hey Plant , kinda reminds me of my ole E 350  ... yeah the 32" TV was a bit overkill ...

Attachments

• Van outside.jpg
    Van outside.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Van inside 1.jpg
    Van inside 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 9
Oh, wow big TV for a van! It looks like you have someone on the bed waiting for you to put on his favorite show.

That's a good looking van with the windows and swing out doors. I wanted swing out but the deal I got on mine, I could not pass up.

A 1 ton van makes a great platform. Will this be a camper van or a van to call home?

Somewhere in between. It will be a camper van but I do anticipate being out for weeks at a time, perhaps months. Time will tell my house/van balance will become.

After a lot of consideration of various options since buying the van, I've determined what my build out will look like out of the gate. Basic but with all that is needed to be in the van for a long period of time.

+ I'm keeping the existing roof, no high top for now.
+ The bed/couch will be left side wall toward the back, creating a narrow isle leading to the back door which will be my primary camping entrance/exit.
+ The right side wall will be a long cabinet with a counter top that will have a sink, water tanks and a spot for a portable propane stove.
+ Solar components will be housed toward the rear of the long counter. The batteries over the right wheel offsetting the weight of the gas tank on the left side. Most of the electrical will be on this side of the van as well. Wire runs will go up the rear corner post following existing van wiring.
+ The isle between counter and bed will accept a removable extension to the bed, but the bed will be wide enough that I may not use it.
+ The fridge may sit on the floor or in the cabinet behind the drivers seat.

There seems to be two common layouts, with variations, either bed at the back or bed on on of the sides. I went it on the side primarily because I like how it can do double duty as a couch for lounging. Given that I'm not going with the high top, it seems this layout would also work well as most things could be accessed from the long couch. I tried some bed in the back diagrams and that layout doesn't seem to suite me as well.

I'm currently working out the details of solar setup so that I can plan for quantity and size of batteries to build a custom vented enclosure.

Working on the floor.  Disregard the 1 inch furring strips they are coming off.

I'm trying to keep as much room as possible so I wanted to keep the insulation as low as possible.  I got this idea from a Youtube video that I saw.  1/2 inch Polyiso down in the ribs, and I used foam in the high spots and then cut the high spots down to the level of the Polyiso.  Don't have pics of it once cut, but this shows the madness in progress.

The plywood is 15/32.  Where edges meet I used rabbit joints.  I'll bolt down the plywood tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpeg
    IMG_0891.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 9