Planning stages and time line of a newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuliaD

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Julia. I have a serious case of wanderlust. Covid19 regulations in Ontario has certainly magnified my desire to not be restrained. I am in transition to an empty nest. Single mom of 2 young adults 18 & 20. Both enrolled in college. Step mom to a 25 year old. Once a step mom always a step mom. He is on his own adventures now.  I have approximately 1-2 years before I can make the move full time. In the mean time I am starting with weekend trips in my Dodge Journey. Once the border opens up I will make a trip to see friends in Alabama. Also learning and preparing myself with new or improved skills. I am looking forward to making new connections with people who understand the desires of the heart to live with geographic freedoms. :cool:

Welcome to the CRVL forums Julia! Going on weekend trips is an excellent way to decide what you need to be happy and comfortable as you travel. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum and the life (soon) julia. I thought it over for sometime and my best advice I can give anyone in the preparation stage is to stop spending money. I heard that before I was part time for years so you thought I would know better. But I regret that I didn’t discipline myself to buy only what I absolutely needed. A bank roll capable of covering major problems is A huge stress reliever. And it would be a wonderful feeling to share at least a little bit of that with others who have needs on the road. That’s not saying you won’t have stress or you won’t have problems but that is saying you will enjoy your travels much more. IMHO.

I tried planning things out and making an itinerary, but i'm sure once i hit the road i will throw all of that out the window. Freedom is what its all about and i'm perfectly fine seeing where the road takes me. I won't have quite as much money as i'd hoped when i hit the road ($5k recommended) but i've spent a little upfront on things i think i'll need after having some previous experience to guide me. I have a good support system here at home and as long as i can afford a bus ticket home, i'm sure i can start all over again if needs be. I'm thankful for that.