Planning an RV retirement home.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobPeters61

Reaction score
I turn 56 next month, working a job that is eroding my physical health, making for a faster pace than aging alone.  I'm considering getting on 70% Social Security at age 62 and looking for a part-time job to pay for health insurance for the next 3 years.

In order to live on that, I have 6 years to save up for a used RV.

I do recall in the '90s a year renting a 30ft. Mallard travel trailer in the front yard of its owner and find that an RV would be quite adequate as a dwelling for my needs.  At the time I was working >70 hours a week and was half out of my mind with cronic sleep deprivation, but the downsides of the vehicle as shelter seem pretty minor in terms of what matters to me.  Other experiences indicate to me that this as a suitable choice for me personally.

I don't want to tow anything, nor do I want some interstate mansion that measures its fuel economy in gallons per mile.  :dodgy:  By the same token, I would require shower, toilet, bathroom and kitchen sinks, refrigeration and a cook stove as well as a comfortable places to relax to watch TV and play with my computers.

I'm figuring on a smaller Class C ideally but could see myself in a Class B if it meets my requirements.

Although I need to save thousands of dollars more before buying one, my initial browsing of Craig's List show a market decidedly slanted towards travel trailers and Class A RVs.  However, there are a few Class C candidates out there in which I could see myself.  Still just a wishbook at this stage, but I've got my plan and a good start on the savings.

Of course, other aspects of the low-cost vandwelling life will have to be addressed, such as how to have an address at which to keep my drivers license current, buy liability insurance on the RV, list for bank account or prepaid card, Social Security etc.  Just one example, but I'm hoping to learn more from this forum among other sources.

Welcome Bob to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Bob,
That's what many here do. Read the forum, ask questions, and you'll make a new way of living for yourself.

Six years. Dang.

Do you have a 401k or other savings in that company?

Most people are aware of the 59 1/2 rule during employment, but many people are NOT aware of the Rule of 55, where you can make a penalty-free withdrawal at age 55, from a company sponsored 401k if you have left the company.

Anyway, welcome, and I'm still in transition myself.

tx2sturgis said:
Six years. Dang.

Do you have a 401k or other savings in that company?

Definitely a low-budget deal. I'll probably end up with something from the 1970s and have the engine and transmission rebuilt, after which I can mostly work on the vehicle myself and learn how to refurbish and keep up the RV specific systems. Nothing fancy for me. Any campgrounds for which that's not acceptable would be no place for me anyhow.

As for the question, 401(k) has recently been wiped out and but a small pittance will have accrued back by then, but that never was a pension to begin with. Just a sweet lump sum.

Latest posts