Pirate Camp....a build opportunity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abnorm

Nice cabinet work despite limited tools on hand.

Very nice work! The cabinet and bed in my trailer were built using the same method of a straight edge with a cordless ryobi circular saw... gets the job done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That really looks nice Doug! Have Paulette crochet some nets for doors

Thank You all...."Pirate Camp" quietly exists in the Quartzsite LTVA South....Way back at YARC camp

I've got a short list of people and small projects to complete as Time and Materials collide....

Sleep...... needs some Solar panels reworked....between her van and trailer
CJ..... needs a roof vent fan installed
JennyJ....... is looking to buy a roof box/needs bars/ installing
Jacqueg..... needs a frig support platform built over battery storage
AND Ravella...... has some 1" plywood for a work table needs cutting

Our own INVERTER that powers our Frig went out this week....I've been watching it...lately the built-in GFCI receptacle has been had-to-reset.....a common problem in the S&B so I had a new replacement GFCI ready.....I fired up the generator and shut the battery system down....LUCKILY The repair went smoothly and we're back on Solar/battery power

If you're near Quartzsite and need HELP..... shout out............

Ho Ho Ho...........Christmas is right around the corner.......

You're a gem, Doug. It's awsome for all of us that you're driven to solve puzzles and make things work =)

Hard to believe a month has passed since my last report..........the virtual RTR is over..............It's 2021 !

Sherry came to camp with her cute antique "canned ham" trailer.....inside over-the-years it's been changed alot.....We needed to repair some rotted flooring........Now it needs a DESK

$sherry desk.jpg

The little cabinet holds a Microwave (to use while on Shore Power) with room for Bella's food bowl below..........Storage in the back where the trailer walls curve..............Sherry sanded and stained and Polyurethaned the desk to a beautiful finish

Sherry uses a mobile solar panel to charge the house battery for lights..........Needed some upfitting

$sherry solar setup.jpg$sherry solar.jpg

I mounted the solar controller inside a storage bay ..............Secured longer wires to the solar panel.......New Battery wires and also a Voltmeter inside the trailer

NEXT..........Jacque needed a Bed rebuilt and Battery/Fridge storage

$jac batterybox.jpg$jac frig.jpg

I hung the bed from ledgers bolted to the walls using NutSerts.......The battery box sits next to the bed.......The Fridge sits on top of the batteries

I also took time out to work on our rig........Christmas dinner included Brian's fresh baked goodies from a Microwave/Convection oven....IN-A-VAN
Hmmmmm.....we could do that !

So we got busy installing a Dometic Micro/Convection oven in the Transit Van....................

$micro space.jpg

Here's the space with shelves removed........Lots of electric wires in this cabinet

$micro installed.jpg$micro ceilingcut.jpg$micro feet lock.jpg

And here is the installed photo........The venting needed to to be cut into the ceiling where the van roof curved........The feet are captured in some drilled holes to keep the unit in place............Paint & Trim to follow   There's a new inverter in place to run the unit (while the Generator charges the batteries)

$feet.jpg

Paulette has been busy Crocheting .................We're now the proud owners of Warm Footies

Pirate Camp is OPEN............who's next ?

Attachments

• $sherry desk.jpg
    $sherry desk.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 14
  • $sherry solar setup.jpg
    $sherry solar setup.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 9
  • $sherry solar.jpg
    $sherry solar.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 10
  • $micro space.jpg
    $micro space.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 13
  • $micro installed.jpg
    $micro installed.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 13
  • $micro ceilingcut.jpg
    $micro ceilingcut.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 11
  • $micro feet lock.jpg
    $micro feet lock.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 10
  • $feet.jpg
    $feet.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 8
  • $jac batterybox.jpg
    $jac batterybox.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 13
  • $jac frig.jpg
    $jac frig.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 12
Sure are handy Doug. Figured out my sister’s wiring problem and we were able to take it back and get it fixed. Thanks!!!

Always Welcome Mark

Thanks Tex......see ya soon

HiYa Camila .....what is it with Vendors these days ?................Arrrrrrr

Yep. They are usually pretty good there. Really it was almost no work at all. She bought the solar suitcase from them and they added the little plug - backwards.

I wanted to make a shout out to Doug for helping me with my desk. It came out awesome! Also nice to have the solar panel hooked up to the trailer.

If she got Zamp they delibertly wire things backwards as to which color is groiund and power for wires compared to all the others makers. That way they can climn all theirr stuff is proptiary so people will only buy components from them. It is of course pretty much nonsensical but brings in the extra bucks. They have contracts with some of the RV manufacturers. Not saying the Zamp products are bad, just saying that is their business model.

It was a few years back that I learned about Zamp having done that to their components from a review about their thru hull plug.

Actually I bought 250 watt used panel for my van for $50 from SanTan solar and am using the 100 watt panel that used to be there for the trailer. The controller was from the Harbor Freight portable panels that the wind broke. I supplement my 12 volt needs with a Jackery 240. I am in power heaven!

"........ I am in power heaven!" .......You have such modest wants......... And you're Welcome

YES Camila's sister had the Zamp port installed to plug in a brand-new Zamp panel .............and ERROR b02 Reverse polarity

I made a quick cable to check on the health of the system...........I took a Zamp extension cord and cut it half...reconnecting the wires backwards Red to Black.......when installed inline between the trailer and the panels all was GOOD !

I'm out in Vegas and was thinking of going to Quartzsite in a few days. Is Pirate Camp still at the Quartzsite LTVA South? I'd love to visit and just say hi.

Yes we're here.................Welcome to the Forum and Nomads IRL.........Tell us about you in Newcomers

Is there something You Need ?

abnorm said:
Yes we're here.................Welcome to the Forum and Nomads IRL.........Tell us about you in Newcomers

Is there something You Need ?

Thanks!

Nothing needed. If anything, I'd like to help others with their projects or just check out builds. Swapping info and sharing ideas.

Enjoy the calm weather for now in this area!

I'll post in newcomers. Thanks for the reminder.