Picture Thread - Van people, what was your very first van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motrukdriver

Reaction score
Mine was a 1967 Ford Econoline, 6 cylinder 170cid between the front seats, 3 speed on the column.  Bought it in 1974. Put a bench seat from a bus in the rear and carpet because back then if you had a van Ohio charged you extra for commercial license plates.  A seat and a few other amenities would let you use regular car tags instead.  It didn't even have back windows in the back doors.  I used black electrical tape and made peace signs in the round tail lights.  Yeah, I was soooo cool.  This is what it looked like.  I wish I still had my old van.

1967-ford-econoline-custom-van-old-school-cruiser-resto-mod-clean-body-1.jpg

while not a van this is the first vehicle I lived in, 1951 GMC deuce and a half.  sorry about the low quality pics,  I could only find 2 and they are scanned.  lived in it in 78-80.  oh those were the days,

001.1.jpg

101.2.jpg

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 001.1.jpg
    001.1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 101.2.jpg
    101.2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10
Very cool HDR!

Here's ours (another low quality picture - sorry)  1972 vanagon. The three of us, Tony, I and our 4 year old daughter, traveled around the US a year in 1976. No cell phone, no internet, no solar panels, no generator, no shower, no toilet (not even a bucket!), little insulation - I don't know how we survived! :-D

016a.jpg

Attachments

• 016a.jpg
    016a.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 13
1200px-Mitsubishi-L300.jpgIt was a blue 1988 or 1989 Mitsubishi Wagon that looked like this

Attachments

• 1200px-Mitsubishi-L300.jpg
    1200px-Mitsubishi-L300.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 3
highdesertranger said:
I warned you all,  I am a redneck hippie.  highdesertranger

That would make you a hipneck.  Kinda sounds like a medical term.

'72 E-200 Ford window van, 302 manual, owned it twice for a total of 11 years. eventually installed that engine ina '68 E-300 and drove it another 5 years.

wagoneer said:
tough choice but here is choice #1

Almost forgot about the van a one ton 1986 GMC Vandura with a real diesel 6.2 Duramax raised the boys in this one. Choice #2 1972 GMC step with a 350

Like MoTrkr...............mine was an Econoline............A '66 Ford Econoline with a Mustang HP 289 tucked into that tiny dogbox.............It was a lot of fun for about 10 years in the 70-80's

Yes.......That's a wooden platform and 1-2-3 lightbar on the roof.............a photo platform (re: Ansel Adams) 

Sorry HDR.....those windows are not DOT approved.......I latter replaced the glass with redwood panels

66 FordSideView.jpg

The rear doors were rotting away...........so I welded them shut adding sheet metal and tons-O-bondo

66 FordRear.jpg

It had that large removable sunroof upfront right above the dogbox/mid-engine......1970's a favorite Vanners challenge was "Show us your tits".........when prompted my sweetheart would pop thru the opening and flash her ta-ta's

66 FordFront.jpg

Happy Days..............thanks for the thread...........doug

Attachments

• 66 FordRear.jpg
    66 FordRear.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 66 FordSideView.jpg
    66 FordSideView.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 66 FordFront.jpg
    66 FordFront.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
1969 Chevy Van. With 3 bullet holes. I was 18 years old. Built a bed frame in the back with storage under neath. Upright icebox. 3 speed on the column. No power steering. 6 clylinder mid between the seats. Vega front seats.

Mine was white. Not the actual picture.

Attachments

• IMG_7337.JPG
    IMG_7337.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 0
My second van was a 1972 Ford. 302 V8 I believe. Automatic. Blue with custom white pinstripes.
Not actual picture.

Attachments

• IMG_7338.JPG
    IMG_7338.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 0
Mine was a 1961 Ford Econoline Van. I think it had the 102 cu in. 6 in it when I got it. Later on dad put a 144 Cu In out of a Zephyr in it for me...wow did we cruise with that but I had to have an electric fan installed in front of the rad and the undercarriage channeled to provide an air duct. I was in serious trouble if I pulled off the highway and didn't turn on that electric fan.

Oh yea, 3 on the tree and a shift linkage that I occasionally had to take a rubber mallet to, to make it go back in synch!... :rolleyes:

My brother sold it to me in 1975 when he upgraded to a 2nd generation Ford van.