Picking up and leaving.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epaminondas

Reaction score
Hi. I am new here. I have been planning on leaving any day to live out of my Truck... but for a few months now.  I keep thinking I have to prepare more, than I’m not ready, etc. I build a bed into the back of a 4 door Ram 1500, got solar, a battery, etc.  I feel that I have exhausted all possibilities of finding more ways to be prepared, I’ve done everything I can think of, I have no more excuses, but I’m still weary. I guess it’s just, I don’t know where to go. I’m trying to find a place to start off at, where I can meet some people and pick their brains and learn from their experience.  I was planning on Quartzite, but I think it may be too hot now. I plan on forcing myself to leave on Wednesday.

Any help would be most appreciative.

You could start out easy by going to a primitive campground and camping. This would get you used to sleeping in the truck bed.

Welcome Epaminondas to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Just do it.

Highdesertranger

I remember that feeling. The thing is, I will never be ready (and I launched 3 years ago!). There is always something that could be better, and always a list of things to get as I can.

Pick a place where the weather is nice and the camping reviews good. Then go. Tell yourself that you're just going camping, because that's exactly what youre doing! While there, research your next camp. Rinse and repeat.

You'll gain confidence by doing :)

You'll figure it out soon enough, when you leave the place you've been living. Good idea to camp with others for a while, but just remember to embrace the adventure, wherever you go. If you don't have a campground, hit the rest areas and truck stops for a chance to sleep. They're everywhere.

Hello,
You dont say where you are? but I am assuming Arizona by the mention of Q. 
I just left Parker as the forecast was near or at 100 degrees for the next few days. I moved up to Lake Mead Recreation area which is a little cooler and getting cooler over the next several days.
May I suggest searching youtube for "_____________ boondocking" or "_________ free camping" Like Lake Mead free camping / boondocking.
Chances are good you will find other like minded people in these places.
Good Luck
God Bless

Plenty of forest lands with national forest campgrounds to start out in. Get a pass if you plan to use it, if over 62 or disabled is half price.
-crofter

Link to passes, scroll down for the senior pass.

https://store.usgs.gov/Access-Pass

Can also purchase in person at forest service offices with proper documentation.

Epaminondas said:
Hi. I am new here. I have been planning on leaving any day to live out of my Truck...
Any help would be most appreciative.
sounds like you have much of it covered and ready to go. i can imagine it would be a anxiety producing thing
to just head out into the wild blue yonder as such but i agree to attempt to look others up and see if you can start
off there. every new thing takes some getting used to. if you cant find others just start off in a state park or national
forest near you at least to make it through your checklist of what you may need when you are way out there. good luck
to you and enjoy your adventures!

Where are you? If you are east you can come by our place in KY. We will be back in a few days and have a nice camping area where you can get your bearings and ask questions.

We stick the nomads at the pond when they pass thru. There is a small family boneyard next to the camping area but they are quiet. Doesn’t bother most to camp there. I know them all and they don’t bother anyone

ed587afb47502d5118d299b860ddfee6.jpg

Epaminondas said:
I have no more excuses, but I’m still weary. I guess it’s just, I don’t know where to go.

It will get better.  Blessings on your journey.

A little paraphrase here. Universe has you in the palm of it's hand. :)

Hi there, I read  your post. I have traveled part time since 2015. I live in Las Vegas. For several years now I might take a week or two off every few months and travel. A great place to go right now I believe is Silverton Colorado. You will love it there. After you go through the quaint tiny town of Silverton, there is BLM land that you can camp on. Many spots are by a beautiful stream. Silverton Colorado is North East of Durango Colorado. Another spot is BLM land near Telluride. The spot is high up on a hill. You can see for miles. I noticed that by July its way too hot to stay in Quartzite, Laughlin,Vegas, or Death Valley. But Colorado is very pleasant. Silverton is at a high elevation ..I believe a bit past 9,000 feet which makes it cooler. Make sure to drink alot of water because you will have to adjust to the climate change. I use to get ill for a few days until locals told me that I needed to increase my fluid intake before going at such a high elevation. You get less air the higher you go up in elevation. My parents both just passed away from Covid in the past month, and its been pretty devastating. Im planning by summer to be making van life permanent and working from my vehicle. Tonight I donated my van to a local Charity. I had it on the site, and being a woman I didnt really know what to ask for it. So I decided just to pay it forward. Maybe we will run into one another on the road. Take care, and be safe during your travels. If where your at doesnt feel right.. MOVE. Trust your instincts. For myself I prefer to park near people being a woman.  User Name: EXPLORINGTHEUSA ....Email: [email protected]