Photography

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hugemoth said:
I need to get a new camera after dropping my Canon DSLR. Aerial photography was always my favorite. Bonus points to anyone who knows what this is.
Looks like painted desert to me, but I have never been there.

74C4E48F-0837-4F64-8000-17B67C4C2E75.jpeg

You guys take beautiful photos !    I just took this shadow image from a eucalyptus plant that was superimposed on my laptop.....lol

Here’s one I took with an old Nikon...

Attachments

• 74C4E48F-0837-4F64-8000-17B67C4C2E75.jpeg
    74C4E48F-0837-4F64-8000-17B67C4C2E75.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 9BABD9A4-7B62-4DE5-A1CC-9BCC06F82C0E.jpeg
    9BABD9A4-7B62-4DE5-A1CC-9BCC06F82C0E.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 12
hugemoth said:
I need to get a new camera after dropping my Canon DSLR. Aerial photography was always my favorite. Bonus points to anyone who knows what this is.
I just saw this picture on TV.  Maybe not this picture it self, but of these. But of the same mountains. Oregon's painted mountains. It is on my list for this summer/spring. We are watching the series Ariel America. And now I have added several things to my list of want to see/do.

alvordppc_copy_768x960.jpg
John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Painted Hills Unit is where to see those colorful hills. Best pictures are the morning after a rain. There is BLM land for boondocking nearby. The John Day river is pretty close too.

Attachments

• alvordppc_copy_768x960.jpg
    alvordppc_copy_768x960.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 40
Death Valley Zabriskie Point

I like that line of photographers.

Attachments

• 008A8353 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    008A8353 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    672.2 KB · Views: 14
Capturing some of the scenery during a road trip is one of my favorite types of break. It serves as a souvenir as well, "hey I made it to this place."

I use a Nikon D750. One thing I love about having a nice camera is the ability it gives me to get places I might not otherwise be able to. It's a pretty noticeable camera with a 70-200 2.8 on it. People see it and they think you are there taking official pics.

I went to the drag races and just walked right down to where the "official" photographers were. No one said a word to me. I went to an outdoor concert with The Marshall Tucker Band playing. I was able to walk right onto the edge of the stage. I live in a small town and the governor of the state was nearby. Our local mayor was there. (I do know her). I walked right up and one of the governors handlers did question me when I walked up front. She asked who I was with and I waved at the mayor and said "the mayor". They left me alone.

I post some pics online and a friend of mine was the head of the Libertarian party here in WV. He asked what I would charge to photograph the state convention in 2016. I told him to feed me. I got to have lunch with Gary Johnson.

I've always enjoyed photography but learned it in a more "narrative" sense.  That is in helping to illustate stories. I've used it most in past decades to produce websites.

There are many cameras in my possession now as a bunch of them have been given to me by friends who upgraded and I enjoy "novelty" cameras quite a lot.  I've had panoramic cameras, mini key chain cameras, and a credit card sized camera which I bought more for the bundle of software that came with it.  I've also enjoyed using my Cell phone for photos & video.  And I do have a couple of video camera s
in my collection.

Lenses are another matter too.  I find these clip on wide angle lenses at Dollar Tree Stores. There is a collection of lenses including a telephoto at Walmart for the Cell phone I haven't decided on buying just yet.

I took this photo from my kitchen window the other day of the sunrise over the Ohio River.

[img=125x236]http://djsaan.homestead.com/Sunrise_Cell_Phone.jpg[/img]

When I purchased the Vivitar Key Chain Camera (a 3 in one webcam/camera/video camera) I found these small tripods at Dollar Tree that I wanted to use with it.  But there was no mount in the camera.
So I epoxied a 1/4" nut that fit the tripod mounting screw to the bottom of the camera.  Works fine now as a web cam with my laptop.

Did this website with the little camera. (you may have to paste the link into your browser to see it)

ezorange How to Cut a Navel Orange

I have been deeply into photography my whole life. I reluctantly made the switch to digital for the convenience and to learn the technology. My preferred medium is B&W film, 35mm or 2 1/4” square.

I wanted to keep things simple for my “road digital camera.” Canon produces a line of non-DSLR pocket cameras called the G series. They have 14.4 megapixel resolution, which is not bad. And they are fully featured as either point & shoot or fully manually adjustable- all based upon your photographic skill level.

At one time the G10 was Canon’s top of the line camera in this series, it has been surpassed and put out to pasture. Good for us! Excellent condition units are available on eBay for $100; less cosmetically perfect but fully functional ones for as little as $40. I like the used ones showing wear; it makes me look more professional!

Check out the Canon G10 on eBay!

Just my opinion . . .

One of these things is not like the others.  This is near where I live in the urban part of southwestern British Columbia.  You should see what the rest of it looks like.

Attachments

• Different.JPG
    Different.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
lopicma said:
I have been shooting landscapes and wildlife for many years and don't feel the need to stop now.

I've been a photographer for my entire life... the advent on the digital camera has freed us all from the financial burden of film and paper... i have been blessed with "the eye"... I see photos before I take them.. composition is so the base of an amazing shot...

See you out there.. ;)

I got into photography when I was a kid.
My mom was a concert photographer in New Orleans. So I got dragged along to a lot of festivals.
It looked fun so I begged my mom for a camera.
Years later I got back into photography with a cheap digital Canon powershot I think it was called?
Fell in love with how you could see the image immediately.
Upgraded to a DSLR, then a full frame Canon.
Now I shoot with a Fuji Xpro-3 and an XT-3.
I have a few Fuji lenses, but lately I enjoy using adapted M42 lenses I buy off ebay or at flea markets.
Super cheap for quality glass!
Heres a few from recent campgrounds in State or National Forests.
DSCF5071.jpg

DSCF5120.jpg

I've been using a Panasonic Lumix fz300.
It's water and dust sealed, has a 600mm equivalent zoom, and is less than $400 bucks. Oh, and it shoots 4k video.

I use Adobe Lightroom to "develop" the photos if they need any tweaking.

I too come from the old film development days.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I love my Panasonic FZ1000 and Nikon P900.
The FZ1000 is my Go To Camera. Takes magnificent photos.

With the P900 I can get a crystal clear image of a human face from nearly a mile away. The newer P1000 could do this from over a mile.

Me and my partner still shoot film. But, we're dinosaurs.

Attachments

• IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi--
I've been thinking about getting a newer digital camera-- the one I have is old and beat up from being dropped. I know that many people just use their phone but I like a camera better..

Sigh-- I guess this will kinda date me-- I grew up with photography and learned early on the photobooths in parking lots got expensive quickly if you shoot a lot of film. I set up a darkroom in my parents basement and learned how to do it myself. (silver nitrate is cheaper) My old digital camera is basically just point and shoot and low pixels. I'm looking for a decent camera that's not super expensive but the newer ones are so full of tech that I don't even know what they are talking about-- I don't even know how to translate the lingo from old school (F-stop,shutter speed etc) into todays' cameras!

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Hi. I know this is an old post, but wanted to tell you I relate. I use an old digital also and learned how to do old school developing back in the day. I even have enlargers in my attic still lol.

View attachment 27982
View attachment 27981

Ok - i’m pretty stupid. I posted a picture along time ago can’t remember how I did it but I’m trying see if this one comes through. If it doesn’t I’ll have to switch to my computer rather than my iPad so I can edit it down to lesser size.

The first one is the tri-colored heron the second one is the great blue Heron both taken here in Florida before I hurt my foot.
Lost my camera in the Great Thanksgiving Van Theft.

Looking for a new(er) one. Which camera/lens did you use to take these?

Anyone else with suggestions, chime in.

I've learned quite a lot from two particular YouTube channels.
Tony & Chelsea Northrup
Besides lots of technique instruction from beginner on up, they do very in-depth product reviews as well. Their honest review of the Pentax K1-ii was useful in my selection of that camera and three years on, I'm glad for that choice.

Mads Peter Iversen
Lately I've been getting some very comprehensible composition tips from this guy.

Plenty others as well, of course, but these two have helped me the most.

Plaza Park Sunlit.png
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Beach Steps.png
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

Latest posts