Pets and Pesticides

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my_vantasy

Reaction score
So I'm walking the little dog around the RV Park, and I see a guy spraying something on the lawn on his site. That got me wondering about how safe it is for a chi-wow-wow or any pet to be walking, sniffing, and rolling around. Since I teach preschool, I know we have to keep the children off of the playground for three hours after they spray for bugs.

Am I being overly concerned? I've been trying to keep her on the gravel walkways, but she's a dog and likes to sniff and roll in the grass.

Any thoughts, advice, or advanced knowledge? Thanks!

I am a licensed certified pesticide applicator in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Can’t help without knowing actual product.

It’s possible that Pedro got a free flea and tick treatment LOL.

I was a groomer for 30+ years and worked in a veterinary hospital for 5. No it is not a great idea for a Chihuahua or any other dog to be on freshly sprayed grass. Unless he has allergy's, grass is harmless except for the usual flea and tick issues. Usually if my dogs are rolling it's because there is something smelly in that spot so I don't encourage it. When a company sprays they usually put up little signs warning you. If you're worried, wipe the dogs feet off with a baby wipe after your walk. That way if he licks them, he's not getting poison.

That's the thing...I just happened to see this guy spraying his site. How many other sites or common areas have been treated? I dunno.

Mr. LR-- "free flea and tick treatment"--you made me laugh...thanks!

DD-- thanks for reminding me about the wipes I always have on hand. I enjoy your posts and comments.

If you play golf you might want to know that the greens are sprayed with fungicide and insecticide about every two weeks.

I once was a bozo put his lit cigar on the turf in my nice bentgrass tee box.

Do to customer relations I did not correct his actions but simply said you would not put that back in your mouth if you knew what chemicals I apply to this turf on a monthly basis. LOL

when I read the intro I thought you were talking about flea collars or flea baths or front line or one of the others. those are all pesticides. for that matter so is offs, cutters and anything you put on to keep the bugs away. not saying don't worry but we are all exposed in so many ways. highdesertranger

When we came into this rv park, we found a large black widow living in the water hookup cover. She got flipped over when we open the cover, and there was that red hourglass on her abdomen. Got a nice pic before Wolf killed her. A week or so ago, I found a dead scorpion in the dog walk area. Whatever our attitudes toward pesticides were before, we will be spraying the bejeesus out of the rv, inside and out, at least once a month.

Attachments

• 20140608_094535.jpg
    20140608_094535.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
A 30-day application cycle is needed to interrupt the life cycle of fleas.

My suggestion for which insecticide to use would be a food grade pyrethrin.

Fleas I am not worried about. Whiz gets his monthly meds to deal with ticks and fleas and heartworm. He also gets a regular flea bath. So far, no trouble. I am worried about reaching into a dark cabinet and finding a black widow or sliding into a shoe and finding a scorpion, tho.

Latest posts