Paths from California to east coast while avoiding stretches longer than 2-3.hr with

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
curious if such is a thing is possible 

As I am looking to possibly head to the southeast 

Thank You

Don't really understand this question.

What would be preventing you from stopping whenever you've driven 2-3 hours? If you need help planning a route, you'll have to be more specific about your starting and ending points.

From what part of California? North? Central? South? Coastal? Inland? East of the Sierras?

Thanks for the replies guys and gals

What i was thinking was from The Sacramento,Ca area towards Virginia although I'd like to see the southern states

I was wondering if perhaps it may be possible to go through southern Az,Nm,TX and the south east states driving no more than 2-3 hrs a day to stop and rest for a day due to a physical condition where it may be possible to find hotels without driving 4-5+ hours?

Thank you guys and gals

How comfortable are you driving through remote, sparsely populated areas with few to no services? In other words, the deserts of NV, AZ, NM and west Texas — out where my father said there are just miles and miles of miles and miles? How comfortable are you pulling over and spending most of the day and all of the night in the middle of nowhere, or at a rest stop, or at some parking lot whenever you're too exhausted to drive farther?

Is a trip across the country something you're willing and able to spend two to three weeks accomplishing?

Davsey85 said:
Thanks for the replies guys and gals

What i was thinking was from The Sacramento,Ca area towards Virginia although I'd like to see the southern states

I was wondering if perhaps it may be possible to go through southern Az,Nm,TX and the south east states driving no more than 2-3 hrs a day to stop and rest for a day due to a physical condition where it may be possible to find hotels without driving 4-5+ hours?

Thank you guys and gals

MrNoodly said:
Is a trip across the country something you're willing and able to spend two to three weeks accomplishing?

Yes..id be willing to do it

Google Maps or an up-to-date GPS can give you all the info you need as far as the distances between cities,locations of rest areas,truck stops,etc,etc.

At this time of year you'd need to be prepared to run your car A/C a lot if you'll need to stop in the middle of the day in the desert areas.

-AAA and other online apps or sites can provide trip planning services.

There won't be a more than 3 hours drive between gas stations if you stay on the major highways. Truck stops work for a resting spot and some of them have motels close by. There are apps that show the truck stops along the highways.

Thanks for the tips

It would be nice to not be far from civilization until I domicile as I have some nuerocognitive impairments

Seems to be ecological problems with air quality in northern California with wildfires.

I know traditionally blm in Az and Ca have been good places.

I'm not good with basic repairs like changing tires but I am at asking for help

AAA (and others I'm sure) has a road trip app where you can plot out a route, & then add markers for driving time, mileage, etc. Others, like Expedia, will list many/all motels along a route. Makes it much easier to plan your day. Man of these will show hiway rest areas as well.

Going from the southwest to the southeast is it fair to say that at least every 3 hours a hotel can be found going through the low deserts of southern Az,NM,TX,LA?

Thank You

^
Yes,it's fair to say that. If you want to be sure though, you'll want to research each area that you will pass through on whatever route you choose.

Have you checked on Google Maps?

That’s a good question. It’s certainly easy in the west. I’d look at three general routes. Along the coast, in a cooler season, is probably best. There might well be a longer day or two along the way - or a hotel. If you rest up before and after you could likely keep the same pace.

The longest way would be north cutting SE before Chicago. This would likely join up with a middle route through Missouri, etc.

I’d also have a bit of a budget for a motel, if needed.

Latest posts