Park, hike, tent/hammock camp in NF...Safe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEXpat

Reaction score
What if I parked my van, packed for three days, hiked out a bit into the forest and camped. Would my van be OK? Would rangers report my vehicle? 

I'm guessing the best way to go about this scenario is to stop by an information kiosk or ranger station and let them know my plan. We should stop by the station anyway to get information, right?

People do it all the time, but a vehicle full of valuables is an attractive target anywhere, so personally I would not leave my van for that long. When I park and backpack, I use the same strategy as when I drive in to the big bad city, the vehicle interior appears to be completely empty, no change in the cupholders, no GPS on the dash, no bags or anything on the floor. Obviously, this is impossible with a camper van.

I have camped, backpacked, mountaineered in the west for the better part of 50 years.  Vehicle broken into twice; once in the Washington Cascades, once in the California Sierras.  Scuttlebutt was that the closer to a large metropolitan area one is the greater the likelihood of being victimized.  I also think the more popular the trailhead is the more likely a lowlife is 'patrolling'.

I always fully curtain my camper so no-one can see if there are valuables in there.  Since I have only one entrance to my camper I try to back up against a tree.

I always stop by ranger stations to get the latest information on: trail conditions, area closures, animal issues, required equipment, required permits, fires, . . .  I also explain what I am looking for and ask for recommendations.  Been steered to some great camping that way.

-- Spiff

Spiff covered it pretty good. there are trail head parking lots all over. that's where they want you to park. around large population areas they do have problems at some of the trail heads. saying that, the vast majority of the trail heads are safe for parking. highdesertranger

If you're hiking into the back country it's always a good idea to let a ranger know your trip plans (rough schedule and the trail you take) so if you get lost or hurt they will know where to start looking. They'll also probably keep an eye on your vehicle and tell you weather and other things to look out for .

I've pondered the best way to do this, but don't have a lot of experience leaving a vehicle like that for an extended period.  One idea that occurred to me was to leave a note inside on the windshield that says "Gone hiking.  Back on [date].  Questions?  Contact me at ..." with contact info.  For the most part, I had LEOs in mind with that idea.  Then, I thought better of it.  Seems like that might be seen by some as a very helpful robbery invitation, complete with a description of the safe time frame for picking it clean.  Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be nice.

Vagabound

oh, that's another thing about talking to a ranger. in California if you hike into a wilderness area and spend the night you are supposed to get a wilderness permit. they control access into the more popular areas, so get your permits early the back country rangers DO CHECK. highdesertranger

I've left my vehicle many times for multi day trips and thus far no issues. But i've been in parking lots where i've been warned about recent break ins and even been in lots where other cars have been hit. The less visible you can make everything, the better off you'll be. I don't think many thieves go shopping.....that is break in and hope somethings there. They see something they want then break in.

I put a game camera in use sign up on my property in Maine and haven't had a single break in since doing so. Had about 6 prior to that, but I bought a house that had been abandoned for 6 yrs and I think most were just kids breaking in to hang out. I wonder if putting that on your drivers door window with small stick on vinyl letters could/would do the same. I've even though about setting up my game cam when I park at a trail head and then face it towards my truck. If I get broken into, maybe it will pick the guy or the plate on the car they're driving.

highdesertranger said:
. . . so get your permits early the back country rangers DO CHECK.  highdesertranger

And in places that require bear proof food cans they check for those also.  Stiff fine for non-compliance.  Another reason to check in with the Rangers.  Some ranger stations will have some bear canisters to loan out 'as long as supplies last'.

-- Spiff

If you park in such a manner that suggests that your van was abandoned, you will be reported. Your van may also be towed if the parking location is deemed inappropriate. Best to park at a trailhead. Alternatively, conceal your van in the forest with a note left against the chance of an encounter.

here's what I like to do. set up camp, stay a few days, get to know your neighbors, if you trust them tell them you are going into the backcountry for a few days and ask if they will keep an eye on your stuff. if you don't trust them leave the area. I do this only in popular areas, which I don't visit very often but sometimes it is unavoidable. highdesertranger

Like others, I've never had a problem in my many years of back country cruising. I regularly leave my truck full of tools at trail heads in Colorado and Utah for up to 8 days with no issue. Of course you can't actually see the tools, as there are no windows in the sides of my topper. And the areas I go are generally very remote. I think break ins are a much bigger issue in populated areas as others have said, but if you take precautions like keeping stuff out of sight etc... they are much less likely. I also wouldn't put a note saying how long I plan to be gone - Just seems like you'd be saying "please rob me between these times only". A sticker in the window saying something like "protected by Smith and Wesson" or "we don't call 911" with a picture of a handgun may also be a small psychological deterrent whether or not you actually own a hand gun. In reality you're only going to stop the amateurs, but I don't drive a vehicle professionals are interested in so that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the replies. There are some good ideas here. I might also install a couple blinking red LEDs .

I used to live in Las Vegas, NV, The Land of Opportunists. One of my coworkers lived in an apartment complex with a lot of vehicle break-ins. He routinely left a nicely perforated range target (changed periodically) and an empty holster on his front seat. Never had a problem.

Also, if things are visible in your rig and you have tinted windows, get a dark blanket and cover the stuff. It's hard to see the actual blanket when looking through the windows.

hahaha TC when me and my ex first moved into our new to us Mobile Home, we had no blinds or curtains, and had 'spent ourselves broke' just getting into it
But I did have tape, and a boatload of DPS 'silhouette' targets from regular shooting practice, so that's what we covered the windows with
Not one salesman ever knocked on the door, let alone were we ever burgled
my other crime prevention tactic is own old beat up stuff you didn't finance

Latest posts