Paint that sticks to Reflectix?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipaaron

Reaction score
Anyone know of a type of paint that will stick to Reflectix based on experience? Or perhaps other ideas that don't involve fabric? I thought about duct tape, but, that would look tacky :p

Not a clue, but wanted to say you take some great pics, and your little dog is adorable!

Queen said:
Not a clue, but wanted to say you take some great pics, and your little dog is adorable!

Hehehe, she is amazingly awesome! She makes me smile everyday. Thank you very much for the compliment on the photos. It's all I want to bring a little bit of positivity to others through my photos.

Black spray plasti dip. I used it on the reflectix in my blazer. Wash the reflectix in soap and water to remove any grease or oil, then dry in the sun. It made a HUGE difference in the rear temps of the blazer. The guy I sold it to likes it!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Milk Hauler said:
Black spray plasti dip. I used it on the reflectix in my blazer. Wash the reflectix in soap and water to remove any grease or oil, then dry in the sun. It made a HUGE difference in the rear temps of the blazer. The guy I sold it to likes it!

Aha! Great idea, thanks! I've been wanting to play with that stuff anyhow. :D

Just buy one can of it at wally world and play with small test pieces. I found 3 very light coats, will suffice. From the outside looking in, it appeared the windows were very darkly tinted. No sign of reflectix.

It made a heck of a difference. Was able to use ac on low, instead of hi. [emoji1]

Spray paint made for automotive plastic interiors, used with the clear adhesion primer.   Works well.

66788 said:
Spray paint made for automotive plastic interiors, used with the clear adhesion primer.   Works well.

That also sounds like a winner. I used that stuff on a motorcycle seat and it held up surprisingly well to a lot of abuse.

I just use:
black duct tape
Very, very, thick , high quality black plastic trash bags pulled very tightly.
It looks like professional tinting. It has held up now for two years even in one area that gets taken in an out almost daily.

I like it, that's creative and I already have everything I need.

I am missing something.  Is painting Reflectix soley for privacy/stealth?
If so, doesn't it absorb heat in the summer?
Of course, maybe that's what is desired.  Here in Fla. we are always trying to think of ways to reduce heat, lol!

I just got some blackout curtains to experiment making a privacy panel between the front and rear seats and possibly the side and rear windows.
It's not going to do anything to reflect the heat so I'm guessing Reflectix should be on my shopping list.

Painting Reflectix black just threw me off.  What am I missing?

phillipaaron said:
Anyone know of a type of paint that will stick to Reflectix based on experience? Or perhaps other ideas that don't involve fabric? I thought about duct tape, but, that would look tacky :p

All I did was use automotive etch primer (Black) on the refectix, (mostly cause I had a can laying around) and velcro'ed them onto the windows of my old van. The paint never pulled away from the refectix over the two years I put them up and down every night, and the matte finish blended in pretty well with the factory light tint of the windows. (You had to really stop and look to tell)

Interesting read, I just put reflectix in my rear windows and I'm OK with the Silver color. Reading this I sure wish one of you could tell us for sure the difference you experienced between black and natural.

I sure noticed the van being cooler when the sun is beating down on those windows. I'm actually thinking if I were to paint them, it would be most likely white, same as the body color.

I too am wondering how black will impact the heat factor. We'll have to see once I get around to it.

phillipaaron said:
I too am wondering how black will impact the heat factor. We'll have to see once I get around to it.

On my first van (The 4x4) I painted the refectix, on my second one (G/F's old van) I didn't and to be honest I didn't notice any difference in the amount of heat it reflected or not. Both vans had tinted windows. When it was hot and sunny outside, it was equally as hot inside reflectix painted or not.

steamjam1 said:
On my first van (The 4x4) I painted the refectix, on my second one (G/F's old van) I didn't and to be honest I didn't notice any difference in the amount of heat it reflected or not. Both vans had tinted windows. When it was hot and sunny outside, it was equally as hot inside reflectix painted or not.

Good to hear.

Yes. I too was worried if I painted it then maybe it couldn't reflect the heat well.
Phillipaaron,
I have a hatch door on the back of my minivan. There was nothing to attach to, to cover the window. I used a large piece of Reflectix the size of the door and it can't "fall down" and leave part of the window not covered. The garbage bags take flexing, bending, taking it in and out in rain, snow, etc. I started using it two years ago everyday. I put the piece of Reflectix up, center it over the door, and tuck in the top portions across the top underneath the ceiling Reflectix. Daylight can't be seen through it when I wake up and it never shifts. The black bags are low profile and do not attract attention to the massive stack of stuff behind it. Frequently used items are at easily access on the top.
So, I open the hatch, bend only part of the "black panel", grab my item very quickly, and move out of the way and quickly close the hatch. I even do it under security cameras at work and it's such a fast move, no one knows of my lifestyle choice!!!!.......B-2 Stealth Under The Work Wave!!!

I never gave any thought to the fact that the plastic would help prevent some flexing. I could use this with one of my windows.

Minivan Window Update:
(not trying to hijack the thread.  Just seemed like it was the right place to post.)

I had purchased Black colored black out curtains that were on sale.  Minivan has so many curvy and non-metallic surfaces, it's nearly impossible to get a spring rod, bungy cords or hooks to work.  Will be returning the curtains.  I really liked them because they were white on the inside panel so it didn't make the cargo area feel so closed in.

So I got a roll of Reflectix and a spray can of Plastic Dip paint.  http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Cut out 4 windows and 1 hatch from Reflectix. 
I used the whole can of paint and it still looks grayish, not solid black.  I literally must have put on 6 coats!  I didn't use a primer since I wasn't able to find one that was "stretchy" like the paint.  I'm thinking of either going ahead and getting the same brand paint but the brush on kind, or cloth material. 
Has anyone used the brush on Plastic Dip paint?  

I want to be able to fold the panels at least in 1/2 so I really am trying to keep "stretch" in mind whether it be paint or cloth.  Now that they have the Plastic Dip paint on the them, wonder what would be the best glue to use if I apply cloth or even a plastic garbage bag?  
(I have found that spray adhesive doensn't last very long in previous projects.)

For some privacy between the front seats and cargo area, I hung a 3mil garbage bag and was able to clip it up with one of those black colored office clips.  There is a gap between the garbage bag "curtain" and the ceiling, but will have to do for now.

I have a metallic style window shade in the front window.  
With that and all the windows having Reflectix or Black Out, and a privacy curtain, is there any reason to make Reflectix covers for the driver and passenger windows?