Paint job in Mexico?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammalu

Reaction score
Anyone ever get their vehicle painted in Mexico? Any recommendations and prices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't done it, but your question made me smack my forehead and say to myself, "Duh, of course!"

My hood has the common Chevy Express peeling paint problem plus 220k miles of embedded bug guts and a few hail dings. US body shops want $300 to $400 to repaint it. I don't have that kind of money so I've been doing my own lame coverup with spray paint. Anything I got in Mexico would be better than what I have now, and WAY cheaper. I'm going to check into this.

Thanks Mr Noodly. I figured the question might help others as well. I'm not out that way yet so can't do any checking myself. Please keep me posted.

If you drive it down there, don't you need Mexican insurance? If you leave it at a body shop will customs tear apart your vehicle looking for drugs? What if they find some? The body shop will have your home address to visit if you do make it through. If you don't, they know nothing about your smuggling business.

Maybe I am paranoid, but for $300 it doesn't seem worth the worry to me.

About a jillion people drive in and out without incident daily.

Yea, the Wandrly family did just this a few months back (https://wandrlymagazine.com/blog/), leaving their VW in Mexico when they flew up to visit with family for a few weeks. Paint came out looking good, no oddities from the shop or police. I do not know the price range.

Body work and paint south of the border is almost always a safe bet.  

Depending on what you want done, as well as the quality of the paint, prices are around $1,000 for a top job.

I'd really like to have my new (to me) RV painted. I'll bet that will set me back no matter where I go... It's a 2002 and just faded with the old decals a little peely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my question is where in the USA do you get a paint job for 300-400 bucks? the paint, primer, tape, and prep material is going to cost that much. highdesertranger

I was quoted $1200 for the van roof alone.

Right now it is rattle can IH off white.  About $30 total.  :blush:

I think that was just the hood
otoh, Earl Scheib still advertises a $400 paint job (no bodywork, you do prep, IIRC)

If it was just the hood, I'd do it in rattle can flat black regardless of the van color and call it good.

Mexico isn't riddled with drug dealers everywhere you turn. The drug epidemic is more concentrated in certain cities/towns along some areas of the border. It's just more brainwashing fear mongering instilled on Americans.

MrNoodly said:
I haven't done it, but your question made me smack my forehead and say to myself, "Duh, of course!"

My hood has the common Chevy Express peeling paint problem plus 220k miles of embedded bug guts and a few hail dings. US body shops want $300 to $400 to repaint it. I don't have that kind of money so I've been doing my own lame coverup with spray paint. Anything I got in Mexico would be better than what I have now, and WAY cheaper. I'm going to check into this.

If it's just the hood, unbolt the hood from the van, prep/paint it in one piece... I did that out in the woods after I bought my van.
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-TMG-s-Van-Thread-Picture-heavy?pid=148773#pid148773

A can of primer, can of top coat, can of clear coat (I like Rustoleum 2x brand for all three), some sand paper, and you have a quality paint job for $40 and an afternoon.

My Safari's paint job is a wreck!  I had my 1st car in 1967 and in all these years this van is the worst paint job.  It's even worse than the roller job on my '60s something Falcon wagon that was there when I got it.  I intend to rattle can a lace paint job on the hood ala my 1964 Old's trunk.....hey it can't look any worse :D

Jewellann

Every Road Leads Home said:
Mexico isn't riddled with drug dealers everywhere you turn.  The drug epidemic is more concentrated in certain cities/towns along some areas of the border.  It's just more brainwashing fear mongering instilled on Americans.

You're more likely to encounter a drug dealer in a midwest Walmart parking lot.

Another option is rolling on bedliner, do a little prep and roll away. There's a fella (blogger) in a VW van who did his in red, can't remember his name though.

Van Tramp did his whole van in bedliner and it looks incredible !