Pack Rats

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canine said:
Prey animals will make a heck of an effort to avoid predators. I think it's the law mice must avoid cats when they smell feline urine. Perhaps bottled cat urine, dog urine, or some such thing would work well.

Sometimes people feed the squirrels and other critters and that makes the little vandals that much worse.

:p Just have to ask.  Do you have a source for bottled cat or dog urine.  I found deer and elk urine but no cat or dog.

I asked my cat to pee in a bottle, but he wants no part of this idea.

GotSmart said:
I asked my cat to pee in a bottle, but he wants no part of this idea.
That's funny [emoji23] If you are successful at changing his mind let me know how you did it.

My parents' cat occasionally pooped in the toilet if the lid was left up. She didn't flush, though.

VJG1977 said:
:p Just have to ask.  Do you have a source for bottled cat or dog urine.  I found deer and elk urine but no cat or dog.

Google pest management supplies. They will have traps sand stuff including various types of urine like bobcat, coyote, wolf, etc.

anewbiewannabe Wrote:"All the uses for dryer sheets came about after I had to go all natural on everything because otherwise my breathing is affected. Along those lines moth balls have always given me headaches and are hazardous to humans as well as the other animals."
So sorry to read of your problem--I have it too. Severe COPD and MCS. How do you plan to deal with smokes and other fumes while camping?
Ella[

Ella1 said:
anewbiewannabe Wrote:"All the uses for dryer sheets came about after I had to go all natural on everything because otherwise my breathing is affected.  Along those lines moth balls have always given me headaches and are hazardous to humans as well as the other animals."
So sorry to read of your problem--I have it too.  Severe COPD and MCS. How do you plan to deal with smokes and other fumes while camping?
Ella[
Thanks, sorry you have to deal with breathing problems too. I have had MCS for over 20 years now. When I camped around others I set up camp a bit away so I had more control so I plan to do the same again. If it's something I can't control easily then it will mean moving camp. Generators are not my friends. Other than that it will affect my choices differently than many---I can't imagine being able to have a diesel van since I have to put air on recirculate to drive in traffic because of exhaust fumes from others. I'll also have to go with AGM for house battery. Just having a diesel idling next to me when I get out somewhere means I hold my breath and get away as quick as possible.

If I get hit with fumes where it affects my breathing on top of giving me a headache, then I'll have to use my inhaler and plan for a doctor visit from the bronchitis it always leads to. :( I do my best to avoid using the inhaler. They won't give me oxygen though it helps me without giving me bronchitis---unless there's a squad at an event that will take pity on me as has happened once before when I was trapped and couldn't get away from someone spraying some kind of cleaner.

I plan to have one of the special cloth allergy masks with me in case I want to be in environments with others where I would be prone to react---I may look odd but better to look odd than the alternatives. I've been doing a lot of brainstorming for different ideas for things others don't think about. And the predator urine thing just doesn't feel like it will be an option for pack rat control---field mice around here have no problem being around cat smells and the litter box.

From my conversations with others I think we'd probably benefit from a thread for ideas for people with breathing problems so maybe our ideas can help each other. :)

akrvbob said:
That's a very good idea, I'll start a thread on that topic.
Bob
Please. I also have MCS. I've researched some stuff & would love to hear about how others are dealing with or planning on dealing with things.

LeeRevell said:
That has been claimed of softener sheets used in laundry driers too, but others say it's a myth.

Bounce, a brand of anti static dryer sheets is keeping the invading mice off my kitchen counters right now. But a friend with similar problems just told me the active ingredient is Roundup, highly toxic stuff.

Landlady provided plastic traps with edible poison that enclosed them. You throw mouse and all into trash afterwards. Problem is they eat the poison, sometimes trap snaps shut, sometimes they eat it and the trap door fails to snap. Now landlady provided a plug in unit with sound frequencies, supposed to disturb rodents and keep them out. I'm desperate so I plugged it in.

Rural friend with rodent problem told me a local store called The Feed Bin, carries a product for 16 bucks, pkg of four, herbal rodent repellant, money back guarantee if it does not work for you. EPA certified, called Fresh Cab. What works in a house may also work in a van. Rodents destroyed my vehicle wires in the past.

anewbiewannabe said:
We used the irish spring when I was young to keep mice out of long term storage but discovered too late that it didn't work in a trunk that had a hole where the lock would be---they destroyed some antique plush toys.  Between the trunk and the soap one wouldn't have expected them to find their way in. :(

I always heard peppermint repels mice, not spiders, but have my doubts since peppermint candies blew out the m/c exhaust pipes after a winter of sitting one year---after that covers were put on the exhaust for the winter.

All the uses for dryer sheets came about after I had to go all natural on everything because otherwise my breathing is affected.  Along those lines moth balls have always given me headaches and are hazardous to humans as well as the other animals.

So, even if someone comes up with something smelly that works :p, I'll still need to find alternatives.  So, the search continues. :) Maybe a repeating tape of predator sounds under the hood?  :dodgy: Not really serious about that one. :p
I just posted about rodent problems at my house. I tried soaking cotton balls with Dr Bronner's Peppermint oil last year and even poured piles of it all over my kitchen floor. Did NOT keep them out. I think the predator tape, owls hooting and coyotes howling is potentially a great idea. Might drive me crazy to hear that repeatedly but right now I'm ready to give non toxic solutions a try!

WriterMs said:
I'm sure this would not be safe within an engine...and not sure it works on larger pack rats...but when I lived in the mountains outside of ABQ, we used red pepper packets to keep mice out of things. You take a coffee filter, pour a small mound of red pepper inside, fold it up and tape it shut.

Supposedly, mice noses do not like the strong pepper smell. The coffee filters hold the pepper and can be picked up and replaced easily.

It did seem to work in the garage, garage cabinets and in places like under-the-seat storage in a couple of motorcycles (where a nest with baby mice was once found -- initiating the search for a repellant LOL).
I live in Northern NM, where red chile abounds. I don't know about pack rats but their weaker relatives the mice have no fear of red chile. Last year they opened 3 pkgs of mild red chile on my kitchen shelf. Maybe cayenne pepper would work becuz it packs a real punch. Rodents cause so much damage and require so much sanitizing. I've lost a fortune to them. Now all my food is under lock and key. Not convenient, but keeps them from damaging food supplies and getting free meals at my expense. Back to nature, you beasties, you!

When I hit the road with my three cats, now I know what to do with the used cat litter!

And if it works, maybe I can sell it! After all, I've got plenty...

Mothballs are toxic to humans , don't use in an enclosed space you will be inhabiting !

anewbiewannabe said:
So, I've tried several different searches on here to try to see if this has already been a topic---came up with all kinds of things but didn't find pack rats.  I've been reading rubber nomad blogs for quite a while and a lot of them have had experiences with pack rats.  Many leave the hood open at night with a light on.  I found this product that flashes a light under the hood without having to keep it open---less work and less stuff to remember which would be handy for someone like me.  Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had tried out the product here: http://www.rid-a-rat.com/?

Thanks! :)
Never tried that product. We did have good luck with a live trap baited with kibble when one actually found a way to get inside our rv.

Latest posts