Pack rats in engine compartment...solutions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbit

Reaction score
So a few mornings ago woke up to a "nest" on the battery in the minivan. Removed it and thought it was a bird nest. Next day it was back, but this time when I pooped the hood I saw a lil rat jump out of the nest and run down into the engine compartment. Started and left engine running to hopefully make it uncomfortable enough so that it would leave. Didn't work(found another nest started). Read up abit and the only thing I had on hand was some red pepper hot sauce. Sprinkled that liberally around both vans engine compartment. Woke up early this morning and heard some scratching from the big van engine compartment. Popped the hood and sure enough, a(presumably) pack rat was in my engine compartment. Grrr. Don't care except for the possible damage it might do to wires\hoses. Gonna pick up some mace today(lol) and see if that won't leave a better residuearound engine or at least REALLY discourage them if they come back and I can spray them directly.

Other than that, any solutions that would possibly work? Thnx.

Leave hood open, they wont want to sit out in the open.

You really do not want them there, not only will they chew up your wiring and insulation their nest will become a major fire hazard as it will be the thing to ignite once it has heated up.

Gonna try a pine-sol\water solution before the mace.

Had to put in a new heater core last year because of mice living in it.  Maybe a humane trap loaded with peanut butter?

Definitely leave hood open. Also a small short'ish wooden dowel to prop up hood halfway.

I've never seen one, had to look them up. Wow! Eighteen inches long if you include the tail!

I've heard that if you can't leave the hood open, to put some LED lights in there to discourage them.

My buddy did some hiking in Colorado last year and the marmots were so bad all the locals at the trailheads would pull their car onto a tarp, then wrap the entire vehicle up so they couldn't get in.

Attachments

• Marmot-Mobile_1.jpg
    Marmot-Mobile_1.jpg
    439.3 KB
We have 6 more days here(ish). The plan is, hoods open, Irish spring rubbed on wheels, and 50\50 pine-sol + water sprayed around engine compartments. I have read positive things about a light under the vehicle and the electronic pest control stuff. If my plan doesn't work, then next fall when we're back in this area it will be a solar powered light and running power to electronic pest control devices.

one more thing if you leave the hood open make sure the hood light isn't on. highdesertranger

I'm hoping to pick up a pup early this summer or whenever the powers that be decide. A ratter would be great for rats, but I want a 60+ pound dog so it can semi protect itself(plus hawks or eagles are now attacking people if you believe the internet). Can't imagine how pissed I'd be seeing a bird carry off my 15 pound dog.

Oh...as to batteries, both are disconnected when we park. The dust from the desert messed up sensors in minivan and leave interior lights on and on the big van, when its parked for 1 week+ some parasite draw kills battery. It had a wheelchair lift in it that was removed, so that might be the possible culprit. Easier to disconnect batteries than hunt down gremlin power parasites. :cool:

Cats or Ferrets, no packrats
I'd actually feel sort of sorry for a Hawk that tried making a meal out of a Ferret lol

I think ferrets are close cousins to honey badgers. I think everyone has seen "honey badger don't give a sh1t". I laughed so hard first time I saw\heard that dude in that video.

I know mine backed off an 80lb German Sheppard
Got up on his hind legs, all claws and teeth, and hissing, dog was like
O_O

my dog Scout is a great ratter and he weighs 60lbs.

oregon 087.jpg

here he is and my old prospecting buddy Robert.  R.I.P.  Robert.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• oregon 087.jpg
    oregon 087.jpg
    1 MB