Overnight Walmart Job + Chihuahua + Minivan Life = Needs to make possible!!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoa, hold the phone. just commented in your "I want a treadmill in a bus' on the road thread. Now we got rent, a pooch, a job and more and yet we are now considering a treadmill in a bus? Sorry dude, you got to figure out a way forward that works best for you and wishing you only the best on it!!!! I hope all you require comes for you!

I'm barely staying afloat living in my apartment. My take home pay is about 1800-2000 a month. 900-1,000 goes to rent and utilities each month and from there the rest goes to pay down credit card debt, bills, and food. I been thinking about finding a cheaper place to live in November when my lease is up because looking online my rent is going to go up at least 10% Which with my raise at Walmart (assuming it's .40 to .50 cents) they will likely take ALL of that money and more making my situation even worse.

Not here to complain, I like my job it's physical and I don't gotta deal with customers so I get to have a nice workout and get in shape! I just want to be able to catchup on my bills faster than the projected 8+ years im thinking it will take right now..

I currently work overnights at Walmart and I been taking my breaks in my Van, many people do as well and I been thinking that why wouldn't I be able to have my dog with me in the minivan and save on rent! My typical schedule makes it so I'm on break every 2 hours so I can keep checking up on her. The Oklahoma summer heat would be impossible to sleep in the afternoons but perhaps if I were to stay around Northern California or even portland? I'm thinking I would try to transfer instead of just quitting so I would have a guaranteed job.

Giving up my dog would break my heart and that's a non-starter. I did enjoy vanlife during the winter in Arizona, the summer was much more difficult. I did get comfortable with using a Motel 6 weekly rate when I first started getting back into working my job now, so I would be able to see about either dog boarding ("daycare" except given it be overnight since im at work that could be an option then I can continue my gym workouts after work and shower and pick her up) OR weekly motel 6 rental for weeks of extreme temp changes.

My motel weekly rental was $250 which is almost the same price as my apartment this winter with the high heating costs! (rent was closer to $860 before the high heat costs)

Does anyone here work an overnight job on the west coast with a pet in van life or more specifically minivan life?

Right now my fridge leaks, my dishwasher leaks even though I don't use it!, the bathroom sink leaks, I don't even use the space... I loved minivan life because the space was MINE! I owned it! if it was loud I could just drive away and find a better spot. The summer heat concerns me but I think if I can find a place that is mostly much cooler than normal AND be able to budget weekly motel rates so I can easily move in there for a few weeks during a heatwave then I might have a far better life!

Even now my apartment isn't near any nice parks so I gotta drive my dog to a decent park to enjoy our days off... I feel like im wasting my money here..

is the west coast overcrowded with van dwellers that what im trying to do is much harder than I think? Is there something that im overlooking?

Right now what is most important to me is staying active and getting into better shape. I don't even want to be in the big cities either, so ideally setting up shop in a town some 50-100K in population and living on the edge would be ideal for me. Overnighting at rest area / picnic ares , truckstops or sister walmart locations would be ideal for my weekends. I would rotate between 4-6 public parks to sleep the afternoon away before work.

I would likely rent a motel weekly rate for the first few weeks to scope out the area, and get comfortable with my work before anything. Does anyone have any advice, thoughts or experiences that relate?
Urbankid, realize that even in northern California and Portland (where I am) it gots HOT in summer. Last year during the "heat dome," temperatures reached 119 degrees F in Portland and pavement buckled as a result. You need to figure out something better if you have a dog. Would be way safer to board her at an air conditioned doggie day care during the day than to try to keep it cool enough in a vehicle. Some vanlifers have solar panels that power air conditioners, but that is a big investment, and usually seen in vehicles larger than minivans. You might be able to find someone local who lives in sticks n bricks who could take your dog during the day for a few shekels. Maybe a retired person who could use the company.

Bankruptcy is (1) a valid tool that is (2) sometimes abused by unscrupulous people.
Nothing surprising there -- it's probably true of every good idea humans have ever come up with -- and no reason to shame somebody for mentioning point #2.
The #1 reason for the majority of bankruptcy recently in the US is medical debt.

Urbankid, realize that even in northern California and Portland (where I am) it gots HOT in summer. Last year during the "heat dome," temperatures reached 119 degrees F
Altitude not latitude. I live in southern NM at 7,000 ft. Been here 16 years. It's never gotten above the low 90s, and then only when humidity was in the single digits in late June. Quite comfortable then, in the shade.

Giving up my dog would break my heart and that's a non-starter. I did enjoy vanlife during the winter in Arizona, the summer was much more difficult.
Echoing what others have suggested about seasonal work, and summers being the dangerous season for your dog. Maybe campground host or other park/forest work during the summer? I’ve posted elsewhere on how I keep my cat safe during the summer heat…

Altitude not latitude. I live in southern NM at 7,000 ft. Been here 16 years. It's never gotten above the low 90s, and then only when humidity was in the single digits in late June. Quite comfortable then, in the shade.
Yes, I agree, but Urbankid was talking about living in a relatively urban environment with a dog. He mentioned northern California or Portland, both of which became unbearably hot during the last 2 years, not to mention the fires that wiped out half of forested land. That changed the weather. It makes it more desertified to burn all those trees. It means more temperature extremes. It is April here and snowing, BTW. Hasn't happened for 80 years.

I'm barely staying afloat living in my apartment. My take home pay is about 1800-2000 a month. 900-1,000 goes to rent and utilities each month and from there the rest goes to pay down credit card debt, bills, and food. I been thinking about finding a cheaper place to live in November when my lease is up because looking online my rent is going to go up at least 10% Which with my raise at Walmart (assuming it's .40 to .50 cents) they will likely take ALL of that money and more making my situation even worse.

Not here to complain, I like my job it's physical and I don't gotta deal with customers so I get to have a nice workout and get in shape! I just want to be able to catchup on my bills faster than the projected 8+ years im thinking it will take right now..

I currently work overnights at Walmart and I been taking my breaks in my Van, many people do as well and I been thinking that why wouldn't I be able to have my dog with me in the minivan and save on rent! My typical schedule makes it so I'm on break every 2 hours so I can keep checking up on her. The Oklahoma summer heat would be impossible to sleep in the afternoons but perhaps if I were to stay around Northern California or even portland? I'm thinking I would try to transfer instead of just quitting so I would have a guaranteed job.

Giving up my dog would break my heart and that's a non-starter. I did enjoy vanlife during the winter in Arizona, the summer was much more difficult. I did get comfortable with using a Motel 6 weekly rate when I first started getting back into working my job now, so I would be able to see about either dog boarding ("daycare" except given it be overnight since im at work that could be an option then I can continue my gym workouts after work and shower and pick her up) OR weekly motel 6 rental for weeks of extreme temp changes.

My motel weekly rental was $250 which is almost the same price as my apartment this winter with the high heating costs! (rent was closer to $860 before the high heat costs)

Does anyone here work an overnight job on the west coast with a pet in van life or more specifically minivan life?

Right now my fridge leaks, my dishwasher leaks even though I don't use it!, the bathroom sink leaks, I don't even use the space... I loved minivan life because the space was MINE! I owned it! if it was loud I could just drive away and find a better spot. The summer heat concerns me but I think if I can find a place that is mostly much cooler than normal AND be able to budget weekly motel rates so I can easily move in there for a few weeks during a heatwave then I might have a far better life!

Even now my apartment isn't near any nice parks so I gotta drive my dog to a decent park to enjoy our days off... I feel like im wasting my money here..

is the west coast overcrowded with van dwellers that what im trying to do is much harder than I think? Is there something that im overlooking?

Right now what is most important to me is staying active and getting into better shape. I don't even want to be in the big cities either, so ideally setting up shop in a town some 50-100K in population and living on the edge would be ideal for me. Overnighting at rest area / picnic ares , truckstops or sister walmart locations would be ideal for my weekends. I would rotate between 4-6 public parks to sleep the afternoon away before work.

I would likely rent a motel weekly rate for the first few weeks to scope out the area, and get comfortable with my work before anything. Does anyone have any advice, thoughts or experiences that relate?
Hi. Look into citizenshipper.com.

Motel 6 rates, (rolling up my sleeves to get into it!)

lets talk motel 6 rates and imma share what I LEARNED from my experience renting a motel room at the weekly rates for about 4 months!

The motel I had stayed at had a weekly rate of 199 per week and had a sign out front on the building... shockingly I didn't even realize the banner existed until 2 months later 😱 (you would have to either see it from the freeway which was partly blocked since you coun't see it from the parking lot because it was blocked but the awning and it was hard to notice.. but anyways)

I learned quickly how things worked... People who rented a day and then extended another day got rate increase. for example a lady in front of me in line was complaining about the rate going from 50 to 55 to now 60 on her 3rd day staying there!... yet, when I looked at the rates on the motel 6 app they were still near the 50 bucks rate. THEY JACK UP THE PRICES ON YOU AS YOU EXTEND!

I did the weekly rate.. the first time I got a 1K bedroom with no fridge or microwave. I paid 250 weekly rate, an extra 50 bucks for the pet. and was informed I would have to pay extra for ANY visitors and I know they were watching me like a hawk! after 4 weeks I had to move out for a day and then was able to move back into the motel. I just stayed at a park during the day and napped and slept at the truckstop and took the days off from work so I could be well rested and not leave my dog in the car alone.

When I returned they would always try to give me a higher rate. I pushed back, They tried to get me at a 300 dollar rate then lowered it to 275 and I kept saying no until they offered me the same 250 rate. This time it was a Queen room with a Microwave and fridge which was 1000% better for me this time! another 4 weeks and then I came back and again they tried to give me a higher rate. I kept pushing back, This time I learned about the sign and pushed back AND since I knew the rates online I knew the REAL rates (the weekly rates were NOT posted online though..) I kept implying that I knew of a better priced place I woudl be going to instead but I was bluffing since the other motel 6 in the areas were 1000% more scary given the homeless and drug addicts roaming the parking lots in the afternoons... yikes!

None the less I managed to get the same rate again. They switched my room this time they gave me a Queen room but no microwave and no fridge.. They even mentioned they had just put in a microwave in the "lobby / vending machine area" which was just the vending machine area and ice room because the lobby was locked due to covid.. It was a battle but I managed to keep the same rate.. They will try to price increase you and if you threaten to leave then they get NO RENT so they want you to stay. Granted I knew the area and my understanding was that on the weekends capacity was 60-80% and during the week it was more like 10-20% occupied. That gave me flexability. I worked in hospitality before and I learned a lot about the hotel industry, I never expected the price gouging practices to extend into the motel industry as well but they clearly do... I seen alot of people in difficult situations that were pouring their hearts out to the front desk but that was just making their situation worse because the front desk knew they were desperate and could charge them MORE given they had to just pay it or get locked out of their room.

A lot of people had problems and my stay was not without difficulties. I had found a cigrett that burned itself out on the back windsheild of my car, likely from the guy that was pissed at me for not giving him a free ride. Typically I would be asked for a ride or money once a week, but I usually wasn't at my car much so if I was there more I think I would be asked more often... The motel was hit with catalytic converter theft, I almost packed up and went home that week but managed to calm down and move on from the issue... it was sad hearing all the loud cars at the motel knowing everyone else there was struggling worse than me...

I think the worst moment I experience at the motel was when I was walking my dog and I saw a neighbor couple. The woman was using a walker and had an oxygen mask on, she couldn't move very much but she tired to look out the door and find her man that was ignoring her... he was in the car using some type of substance... I felt her pain to a level I can't even describe.. I don't remember if they had a kid with them or not, but it felt like she was dealing with some type of cancer.. I will never know, but I do know that staying at a motel is no way a "vacation experience" anymore..

Maybe im just in the wrong metro and other cities are not as bad? Either way, if you know how to push back on the prices and if the motel occupancy isn't above 80% then you have leverage. Check the prices online and if need be book on the app instead. extending the stay DOES give you the 10/11AM - 3-4PM time in the room but that should NOT cost you more when the motel would have to clean the room if you checked out and checked back in via the app/online booking.

If all else fails simply state "that's to much to pay, I saw online the weekly rate was $199. I can pay that, what about a room without a fridge or microwave? or somthing along those lines. I had a fridge in my minivan and I bought an electric burner for 20 bucks at Walmart. Plus they likely have a microwave in the lobby you can use anyways if you really needed it.

Oh and always try to get a room closer to the office, I'd rather be watched like a hawk by the office staff, instead of being in the back where more shady stuff happens. Granted the rooms were infested with roaches, I saw a roach during the day a few times, mostly they only came out to dye weekly when they did the weekly spraying.

If you have any questions regarding my motel stay just ask... but overall I would say staying at a motel 6 can be a good way to get by. Oh and one of my rooms had a VERY weak AC. I had to turn it off during the overnight so it would work OK again the next day during the heat of the day. It was annoying but necessary to survive in that room. The value of the dollar is much weaker than it used to be when I was growing up that is for sure!!!!!! but it can be a good place to get buy when you need to and survive. Oh and extending the stay another week was simple I just payed the same rate as the first week. The weekly rate was "locked in" so week 2-4 was the same but when I checked out and back in for another 4 week stay that was when the price was subject to change and we negotiated. 👍

Quite a long post, but I hope maybe somebody gets some value out of my experience.
I could handle the rest, but not the roaches. I went to see my son in Washington once and when I got to the motel I had reserved, it was unbelievable! People were hanging out in the doorways doing drugs no clothes on but when I saw bugs, I just left. They would not refund my money.

There isn't enough actual information to give you accurate information, which is why you have 2 pages of general advice.

Your have a minivan. You have a job. You live in an area where you can rent an apartment for around $1000/mo give or take including utilities. You have a small dog. You take home $1800-$2000/mo. You apparently live in what you consider a metro or urban area and want to continue that in whatever location makes the most sense.
This is the information that you have stated. So I will do my best to work with only that information. Let me say up front there is no judgement on my part.

So on a lower income month you have $900 to work with to buy food, gas and pay down debt and bills outside of utilities. Working to get out of debt is very commendable, and does require some sacrifice due to the nature of it.
I'm uncertain if the bills and debt you mention are the same thing. It matters in the sense that both need to be paid, but some are more necessary, such as a phone.

That being said, you seem to be making yourself miserable because of that debt. I don't know who you are, where you live, or what your exact circumstances are.

I have made amazing amounts of money at certain points of my life. But I have also made none at times. And I have also been in very hard situations financially while being a single dad. I've done the motel thing with them, and yeah it sucks. One thing that I have found to be true is this: money, or lack of it, doesn't determine much. It helps some things and makes things more convenient, but it's nothing to ruin your life over. The best things in life aren't things. Sure you have debt. Sure it's a pain and you want to be rid of it. Good for you. But never let money dictate your happiness.

10 years from now you'll remember that time when you made yourself miserable that entire time and didn't have to. It's kinda like when you're in school. What people think is important. 10 years later their opinion probably doesn't matter. And if it does, you probably married them and congrats making your 10 year anniversary lol.

The point is this. Finances are an important part of everyday life. But they are only a part. You make a surplus every month. Take the advice from those above and get expert help to minimize the pain.

If you actually want to do minivan life, cool. But if you're doing it because you can pay an extra $100 a month to what sounds like huge debt, it's probably not worth everything that entails.

Having a place for Fido to live and picking up a supplemental income might be a smarter move than moving yourself onto a course that will cost in effort, stress, and actual money as well.

Your dog is your determining factor. Your debt reduction is your goal.
Getting in shape you can do anywhere.
Treating yourself with respect and consideration is something we all learn differently.

Unless there's an actual deadline with extreme ramifications on the other end, slow your thinking down. You're not in a race, but you have a goal. And you want your dog with you and safe.

I don't think minivan life is your correct solution. From what I've read, possible solutions regarding the dog will cost you time and dollars, and most certainly inconvenience.

Time that you can use to make extra money. Dollars they can be spent on something more productive. And constant inconvenience takes a harsher toll than most people realize when they are considering those inconveniences.

You have days off. Find a side gig. Do some delivery. Take some online classes to expand your earning potential.

You are smart enough to ask for help and work on solutions to your problems. You are a hard enough worker to have a full-time job. You are thoughtful enough to make sure you put your dogs need ahead of your own as it's dependant completely on you.

This is a moment in time. This isn't your life. This is a very small fraction of it. You can and will overcome this situation. It's not nearly as bad as you think. But it's as bad as you make it. So make it good. Look for positive changes that will better your future you and their situation. And yes at the very least get that stuff in your apartment fixed. That's their job. Your job is to pay the rent for a working place.

Build your life the way you would like it to be. Not the way that you think you're forced to live it. You have more power than you think.

I have a specific question. What metro area are you located around? I asked because solutions are usually area specific.

One other question I have is this. How much debt are you carrying? And I mean in very general terms. What might be a huge amount to some isn't for others and vice versa.

Examples being under 5k, between 10 and 20k. Different amounts of debt can be dealt with differently. I'm sure the place linked above will have very specific solutions based on that. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what advise I can give that makes sense for you.

General advice is great, and wishful thinking is as well. But you sound like someone that needs something more directed to the situation.

Last edited:
Especially since the original poster hasn’t been around since April! You may be talking to yourself! Lol!!!