Our offer accepted on 28 acres in WA!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
We are buying 28 acres of fairly flat timber land with a nice gravel driveway already in and fairly decent timber in eastern Washington.  No well or surface water but we could drill a well for around $12k to $15k based on neighbor's results and depth.   For the amount of time we are going to spend there though I am thinking just haul water and rain catchment (rain catchment is legal in Washington).   It won't suffice for qualifying for building a residence but we are not planning on building anytime soon.  Might put in a septic though since they are around $5k and the ground supports a conventional gravity system.  Power is to the property but might stay off grid since we already have so much solar.   This county has no real restrictions on RV parking on your property except it seems you are not supposed to totally enclose your RV in a structure and start using it like a home.   I think we will build an open side snow shed though.

28 acres sounds small but it actually took us quite a bit of walking to traverse the property lines.   Beautiful mountain views.   Wish it had a stream but that would have been $$$ more plus critical area and setbacks.

Congratulations!! Sounds like a beautiful piece of property.

28 acres sounds HUGE!, you'll need a tractor just to mow it
Heck, i couldn't keep 1 acre mowed with a push mower (it was a rutty and heavily tree'd acre)

I will take some pics today.   We are going up there to identify the different species of pine and fir (and cedar) so I don't sound so stupid when I talk to the forester.   We are going to keep the property designated forest land (DFL) except for 1 acre.  This keeps the taxes about $29 a year instead of $1000 a year.  The forester writes up a plan based on your desires (aesthetics, timber value, recreation) and you submit it to the county (costs about $500 I have read).   It used to be you could just write out on a piece of paper a few lines saying you were keeping most of the land forest but I think people started abusing that to get low taxes).

Anyway, I don't want to go to him and say "der, there are some green looking trees with short needles and some other trees that are also green with slightly longer needles".   :D

sweet,eastern washington has full on winters so prepare if your going to stay

HAHAHA! that would be me, absolutely
Also yes I would leave most of it untouched, 'lawn' is another word for 'headache' I'm n less than an acre, and considering AstroTurf lol

Gary68 said:
sweet,eastern washington has full on winters so prepare if your going to stay

For sure, although access in winter was one of our criteria.  This property is off of a plowed paved county road that is a school route (so it will get plowed before others).  We also love riding snow machines and have all of the gear for extreme cold survival. 

There is enough timber on this acreage to provide about 3000 cords of firewood too ;)

But we are still in the RV mostly, so heading down to the next RTR is not out of the realm of possibility if it just gets too cold.

Right now it is sunny and 65, perfect!

ArtW said:
HAHAHA! that would be me, absolutely
Also yes I would leave most of it untouched, 'lawn' is another word for 'headache' I'm n less than an acre, and considering AstroTurf lol

I've heard that in some areas you can sow native grasses and wild flowers and then not mow that area. If you have a HOA and they start belly acheing I think there is a county or state entity you can register with.  Maybe the local US Dept.of Agriculture office or a county ag. agent would know about this if you're interested.

Jewellann

Congratulations! That's the type of place I hope to be on before too long. I'd love to see some pictures of the area.

Congrats on the property! 28 acres sounds big enough to be all alone in the middle of it. There is something very peaceful about being in the middle of a forest and hearing nothing but nature.

Up near Colville and Kettle Falls.   Easy going part of Washington, I love it here.  Everyone is quite friendly.

Was gloomy today but I took a few pics anyway.   A long gravel driveway winds through the property (doesn't go to any other property, just this one).  It is an easy grade, no more than 3 to 4% at most.   This means we could pull the big Isuzu RV all the way to the top section, which is where I took these photos.  There are about 5 other very flat areas and a lot of the land is gently sloped.   I have my eye on a 1/2 acre part with a slight slope to make a little pasture or garden in the middle of the woods.

top1.jpgtop2.jpgtree1a.jpg

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • tree1a.jpg
    tree1a.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 26
very nice. I see some gold prospecting in the area too, double bonus. highdesertranger

Congrats, looks beautiful there. I'd love to get a 28 acre piece of land. I have 3 and outgrew it very quick. You'll never go wrong owning land.

highdesertranger said:
very nice.  I see some gold prospecting in the area too,  double bonus.  highdesertranger

I am definitely going to prospect around it a bit but not sure if this ever had any old streambeds on it.   We did look at a 140 acre parcel very close to Canada (still in Washington but barely) which had 4 patented claims on it.   It was very rugged and remote though....no way to get the RV in that parcel.

The Grouchy Guy gets a lot of press...

0804%2B101025%2BKettle%2BFalls,%2BWA.jpg

54224942_a5833ae93e.jpg