Oregon Star Party

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugemoth

Reaction score
https://www.opb.org/article/2021/05/13/its-a-star-party-in-eastern-oregon/

The Star Party is a great event for anyone interested in astronomy. It's not free but there are plenty of good boondocking spots near where it's held in the Ochoco Mountains. It used to be held on Steens Mountain where the night sky is even darker but it's very remote so they moved it closer to civilization. The Ochoco Mountains are beautiful, with few campers compared to the Cascades.

Looks like something fun to do, I just heard of something maybe in Joshua tree park but don't know the details or even if there are details... I need to look for more info.

hugemoth said:
https://www.opb.org/article/2021/05/13/its-a-star-party-in-eastern-oregon/

The Star Party is a great event for anyone interested in astronomy. It's not free but there are plenty of good boondocking spots near where it's held in the Ochoco Mountains. It used to be held on Steens Mountain where the night sky is even darker but it's very remote so they moved it closer to civilization. The Ochoco Mountains are beautiful, with few campers compared to the Cascades.
This would be awesome to attend, and I have 2 telescopes I have hardly been able to use on this foggy coast, short Summers, wind!  I have an Orion Observer 80ST Equatorial Refractor Telescope, and a Celestron – StarSense Explorer DX 130AZ!  Nothing super duper but I can see quite a lot on clear nights, even here on the coast ;)

vanbrat said:
Looks like something fun to do, I just heard of something maybe in Joshua tree park but don't know the details or even if there are details... I need to look for more info.
Joshua Tree is wonderful!  I was there a few years ago, a gal-friend and I went flew down there and it was so lovely at night, talk about stars!!

Last year I headed over from AZ towards Alma,NM where there is the Cosmic Campground. It's one of the Dark Sky locations. The campground was closed because of covid but I was going to just park it at a turnout. No stargazing at all because it was a very cloudy night and I ended up at a campground up the road.

So this year I hope to check it out and maybe be in OR in August.