Opinions on a Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwilloww

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1-owner, no accidents 2002 GMC Safari conversion van with 95,000 miles on it being offered at $4495. I would love to hear other RVers opinions about this possibility for me. I know the conversion part means little to me though I do like the rear windows. Anyway, I would love to know how seasoned vanners rate this make and model. Thanks so much...

Safari's are great as a mini van!

I consider them and their sister van Astro the only true mini-vans. All the others come under the 'over-sized station wagon wannabe's' IMHO but then I'm not considered to be the judge and jury :D 

As to price - that will depend on a whole lot more info than given - run it through Kelly Blue Book with all the details input and see what it says.

They do come without already being converted so if you're just going to gut the interior then keep looking...you're paying for all those finished details that mean nothing to you.

For full-timing, I really don't recommend a mini-van although some people are quite comfortable living in that amount of space especially if it's just you. Add in a pet and it gets really cramped. I lived OUT Of one for a year but it was always in comfortable weather and I had a 10x10' pop-up style shelter that I essentially attached to the side of the van giving me more living space outside than I had inside. I also towed a cargo trailer so I had storage room for all the necessities. Basically, it became my bedroom and nothing else.

All depends on how much space you need, if you want to insulate or not etc. 

Go onto YouTube and type in "camper van", you will see several Astro's that have been used. One of the more prolific video posters switched to a full size when he got a partner. So if you have pets, lots of stuff or anticipate a traveling companion, maybe don't bother with the Astro.

There's a couple video posters who prefer minivans due to their gas mileage, stealth and it forces them to be minimalists.  

All depends on you. Of course any vehicle needs the proper inspection of running gear and the dreaded rust... Depends on where you are finding/looking for vehicles.

Search our forum for my recent thread "minivan musings" found under the "Van" subforum, and others containing the word "minivan" for reactions to the posted queries...

Almost There said:
Safari's are great as a mini van!

I consider them and their sister van Astro the only true mini-vans. All the others come under the 'over-sized station wagon wannabe's' IMHO but then I'm not considered to be the judge and jury :D 

As to price - that will depend on a whole lot more info than given - run it through Kelly Blue Book with all the details input and see what it says.

They do come without already being converted so if you're just going to gut the interior then keep looking...you're paying for all those finished details that mean nothing to you.

For full-timing, I really don't recommend a mini-van although some people are quite comfortable living in that amount of space especially if it's just you. Add in a pet and it gets really cramped. I lived OUT Of one for a year but it was always in comfortable weather and I had a 10x10' pop-up style shelter that I essentially attached to the side of the van giving me more living space outside than I had inside. I also towed a cargo trailer so I had storage room for all the necessities. Basically, it became my bedroom and nothing else.

Thanks for your comments and I have to agree with you. What the car dealers call a minivan does seem more like a station wagon, but seeing as I was considering going with a minivan, this van seems much larger. :D

If you post the VIN I'll run a report for you on that particular one.

The Safari/Astro is a vandwelling favorite, esp. the 4wd model.

Thanks so much!!! Here's the VIN:

1GDDM19X02B512629

I emailed the dealer asking for  Carfax report. He reported back that it was 1 owner and no accidents but I didn't actually get to see the report. So thanks again.

fair warning- a mechanic friend of mine LOVES Astro/Safari vans.. because they pay his rent.
It can take an experienced mechanic 3-5 hours to change sparkplugs.. easiest if you jack up the front and take the wheels off to get at the front-most plugs.. etc.

wwilloww said:
I emailed the dealer asking for  Carfax report. He reported back that it was 1 owner and no accidents but I didn't actually get to see the report. So thanks again.

Autocheck agrees;  1 owner, no wrecks, no obvious problems.

The report is attached.

Attachments

• 1GDDM19X02B512629.pdf
    133.4 KB
frater secessus said:
Autocheck agrees;  1 owner, no wrecks, no obvious problems.

The report is attached.

I can't thank you enough!!! Were you able to get this report for free? No matter, dinner is on me when we meet (yep, I'm a pretty good cook). My dilemma now is that I found a very similar vehicle 100 miles away with only 64,000 miles. I asked them for the report and got an email asking me to call. So I will, and hopefully they will send it so when I drive 137 it will be to pick up my van. Thanks again for your help, I totally appreciate it!!!

I bought a discounted batch of 25 a couple weeks ago when I was buying a van. The other reports will just expire soon if I don't use them so I am trying to share the wealth. :)

So if you get a VIN on the other one let me know.

frater secessus said:
I bought a discounted batch of 25 a couple weeks ago when I was buying a van.   The other reports will just expire soon if I don't use them so I am trying to share the wealth.  :)

So if you get a VIN on the other one let me know.

Well thanks for sure!!! What did you end up buying? I will be getting either the one you researched for me or one with a similar Auto Check and 30,000 fewer miles. I just want to be able to check out both. What I really want to know is if you are building yours out?  I'm going to plan out how I want my new home and then my son-in-law and grandson will probably build it for me. Keep me posted on how you're doing and I'll do the same. Thanks again. Oh btw, what does your user name mean? I got the frater pretty easily but not the secessus. Take care...

I bought the Promaster in my sig line  the build thread is there, too.  Just starting out so not much to show so far except floor and wiring.  I bought some thin polyiso yesterday to get something behind the electrical junctions/busses.  Hopefully I can get that done this weekend then start the real insulation.

Secessus is from Latin and has shades of withdrawal from previous situations, intentional choices, private places, etc.    It's the root of secession.  There is a good bit of resonance for me :
  • refocusing on what is important to me rather than what is important to society
  • relocation to a quieter, lower stimulation place (geographically and emotionally)
  • contemplative life in the desert.  I am thinking biblical hermits here.  Choosing interaction carefully.
  • personal secession rather than political secession.  I live in Texas where talk of secession is not uncommon.  I think a personal secession is more important;  live more simply in order to bind oneself to other citizens and (as a side benefit) starve out the parasitical superstructure.  <-- being vague here so I don't step into banned topics  
There is more but I haven't had coffee yet.  :)

frater secessus said:
I bought the Promaster in my sig line  the build thread is there, too.  Just starting out so not much to show so far except floor and wiring.  I bought some thin polyiso yesterday to get something behind the electrical junctions/busses.  Hopefully I can get that done this weekend then start the real insulation.

Secessus is from Latin and has shades of withdrawal from previous situations, intentional choices, private places, etc.    It's the root of secession.  There is a good bit of resonance for me :
  • refocusing on what is important to me rather than what is important to society
  • relocation to a quieter, lower stimulation place (geographically and emotionally)
  • contemplative life in the desert.  I am thinking biblical hermits here.  Choosing interaction carefully.
  • personal secession rather than political secession.  I live in Texas where talk of secession is not uncommon.  I think a personal secession is more important;  live more simply in order to bind oneself to other citizens and (as a side benefit) starve out the parasitical superstructure.  <-- being vague here so I don't step into banned topics  
There is more but I haven't had coffee yet.  :)

Thanks for the explanation. I certainly understand refocusing and relocating with the opportunity for self-discovery and in my case, to once again "drop out!"

Latest posts