Opinions from Ram ProMaster owners

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
A group of us were camped together in everything from a compact crossover to a 35-foot Class C motorhome. We were along a scabby dirt road with sort of a mosaic of large flat rocks mixed with football sized rocks and powdery dirt. It wasn't the best place, but it was what was available at that place and time. One of the group was in a ProMaster and the driver was having a hard time with the rough road. Considering a couple of minivans made it in and out without drama, I think part of the problem was due to the ProMaster driver not picking a very good line, part of it was due to hesitancy at the wrong moments killing momentum, but part of the problem seemed to be the front-wheel drive. I wondered how much harder it would be if the road was uphill instead of level.

I know, I know, there are those here who insist FWD vehicles have no business going off pavement, but it isn't an ideal world and many nomads are doing the best they can with whatever vehicle they have.

So, you ProMaster owners who venture off pavement, have you had trouble getting where you want to go?

MrNoodly said:
Considering a couple of minivans made it in and out without drama, I think part of the problem was due to the ProMaster driver not picking a very good line, part of it was due to hesitancy at the wrong moments killing momentum, but part of the problem seemed to be the front-wheel drive.

Probably mostly driver error since aren't all minivans FWD?

(Sorry that I'm not a Promaster owner)

Beware of the rear axle, it has much lower ground clearance at that one point than the rest of the vehicle, but is also the ideal spot to mount your 15 gallon black tank as required in some places.

Because of the rear axle, your PM cargo van cannot straddle a rock, it is gonna get stuck on that axle. I have not personally gotten stuck, except in snow deeper than a foot.

I have not noticed a problem with the front wheel drive, or power.
-crofter

I agree with Crofter, that rear axle is worrisome. Hubby got such a great deal on his Promaster that the rear axle was not a consideration. But when he goes into the “wilderness “ he is very careful. My minivan and his Promaster are both front wheel drive but so far (knock on wood) we have not had any real problem when we travel.

crofter said:
...but is also the ideal spot to mount your 15 gallon black tank as required in some places.

I've wondered why that axle is dropped like that instead of straighter. Looks like an aftermarket opportunity.

I do not own a promaster and I would never rely on a Front Wheel Drive(FWD) vehicle.

But more than that, Never ever ever do a suspension lift on an independent suspension vehicle. Especially a FWD. I can not emphasize this enough. Not when pigs fly, not when the earth stops rotating, not ever. You will thank me later.

Highdesertranger

@HDR
And what about a modified axle? Any thoughts?  -c

(crofter dreamed of four wheel drive vans but the budget bought a PM)

I've wondered about that,too. They flip the axles on trailers to gain more clearance.

they don't flip the axles anymore. you can't do that with newer trailer axles because the axles are not straight, they have a slight v-shape which gives the tires a slight camber. If you flip the axle you totally screw up all that. Now you can convert it from axle above springs to axle below spring that will give you a little lift and is perfectly fine as far as suspension geometry.

As far as a modified axle, why? If you need more ground clearance buy a vehicle with more ground clearance. Or buy a vehicle with straight axles, they can be lifted up to 6 inches usually without issue. I prefer to stay 4 inches and under.

And stay away from 4x4 conversion vans.

Highdesertranger

Ground clearance on my E150 Ford is 8.0" and I've taken it to some pretty gnarly locations.

The Promaster ground clearance at the rear is 6.9", so not a huge difference.

On a PM, I wonder how far you could go with taller/bigger tires?

What I have noticed, is that there is enough power to drag whatever you ran over.

For example when I got into more than a foot of snow going uphill on an icy road, did have to floor it to keep going but the van chugged along eventually reaching the top without incident. Free ride for the jeep who was following, as the road was essentially plowed after I went through with the van.
-crofter

ProMaster owners who venture off pavement, have you had trouble getting where you want to go?

I agree it was the line choice. I am regularly amazed by how surefooted the PM is.

I've camped places where the only other vehicles passing were jeeps, UTV, and dirt bikes. I've been on roads so rutted only one front wheel was touching the ground . I dented my front bumper bonking a steep rise several miles into a 4x4 trail in Big Bend (and still made it over). This week I accidentally drove into the Ehrenberg Sand Bowl and got back out with only a little puckering.

The main issue, IMO, is that on loose surfaces like sand and mud the traction control detects slip on both drive wheels and backs off the drive-by-wire throttle. This causes loss of momentum and Stuckness. Pressing the ESC OFF button on the dash disables this throttle manipulation and allows one to plow on. Caveat: do not cowboy it too hard; the throttle limiting is intended to minimize brake overheating from all the brake-based limited slip action.

I've been stuck 3x so far; in retrospect two of those stucks were due to the throttle reduction thing and I haven't been stuck since I figured that out. The other stuck was driver error so stupid and egregious that even 4wd wouldn't have saved me. I dug down about 2' into the gravel bed with a shovel and never hit solid ground. I hooked up my strap and a few hours later a Raptor pulled me out from nearby solid ground. I gave him a cold Estrella Jalisco tallboy from the fridge.

I have taken my Promaster over a lot of different terrain the last three years.
The only time I can think of that we have palms was in Colorado when we drove into a snowbank and it took a bit of patients and digging to get out.
My husband is a mechanic and he said overall the Promaster has impressed him on our adventures.

Last edited:
For me the bottom line in purchasing the Promaster instead of the Chevrolet, Ford, or Toyota, was that I could afford the used cargo van without a loan. There is at least ten thousand dollars difference in price & IMHO having payments kills dwelling life.

Newness and low mileage was also a factor, I did not consider the ground clearance at the time as that low axle is hidden behind huge tires. Over all has not been too much of a problem. Just need to leave the north country before winter snows come if possible, though its easy to chain up too.
-crofter

Promaster driver here. Do not live in it, but have put 60K miles on it in the last 3+ years. Love the rig, but am toying with the idea of selling and trying to find an AWD vehicle. My son and I (we share the van) have had the PM stuck many times - snow, sand and dirt. We've upgraded to AT tires and no real difference. I know how to pick a line, and grew up driving in snow. It's gotten so I'm reluctant to take the van out for a weekend if there is snow forecast. Other than that - great vehicle.

Have you already tried turning off ESC as described above?
Yes, I have. Honestly it hasn't seemed to help. A tow strap is a must when I go travelling. And I don't mean to sound so negative on the PM - really do love the van. Have had absolutely no other problems in over 60K miles.

I have a PM 2500 High with the OHV 3” Lift. I added black Sumo springs to the rear, for stability in cross winds. After almost 20k miles, the right inner CV boot tore. There is now 55k miles on the lift without further trouble.
I’ve gone down hundreds of miles of dirt road. I often air down for comfort over rough roads. Sometimes I air down for traction. The FWD Promaster has only one arrow in its quiver. Other than turning off ESC, airing down is the best way to increase off pavement capability. However, airing down small Promaster tires will reduce ground clearance, making a suspension lift an important part of this capability.
Airing down has a major downside. Since the sidewall bulges out, the distance between tread and wheel is lessened. This increases the risk of sidewall damage, something which can’t be repaired.
The reason to air down is to increase the contact patch of the tread. This provides more traction in most situations and more floatation on soft ground.

Hi,
I've been driving a ProMaster since 2014. Thousands of miles on gravel roads - I live on a gravel road.
I think generally its fine, but it depends a lot on what you mean by a rough road. If you are talking about the road into that mine that was last worked in 1930 and the road has had no maintenance since, then its not the vehicle for that. Its not a rock crawler.
But, for run the mill forest service roads and the like its fine.
Ours has been up the Dempster Highway in the Yukon twice with not even a hint of a problem.

The rear axle ground clearance is 6.9 inches, which is really not that bad. I'm sure the Ford Transit with its rear differential is less. It just looks low when you look at it from behind.

I've never felt that FWD was giving me a problem getting anywhere on backroads.

Gary