Only smell the black water tank when driving?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickinducky

Reaction score
It has become apparent that the funky aroma we smell when driving can no longer be blamed on the dog (though she is quiet the belchingfart hound). We don't have this issue when parked. Anyone else have this issue? We have a 1999 26 ft coachmen leprechaun.

When driving the er....stuff....gets stirred up and that is why you smell it at that time. 

I had an old RV. The shower drain went to the black tank. I put a rubber stopper in the drain hole. Also check that your vent is ok. and the toil;et seal.

I am having the issue that Zil mentioned.  I'm in a camper van and the shower is one where you sit on the toilet and you are in the shower pan.  The drain for the shower sits directly behind the base of the toilet.  Since it is not recessed at all there is no way to place a stopper in it.  If at all possible I make sure my tank is well rinsed and I have put some clean water back into the tank before I drive anywhere.  If there is no way to empty and rinse I drive with the windows down until I can get to a dump station.

Okay, all good to know! I believe our shower is separate, so I will check the vent at the least - and keep some sage handy up front.

The grey water tank can smell really foul as well!  Found that out the hard way.  I liked to never got my grey water tank rinsed out enough to quit stinking when I first bought my van.

Good point. We try not to use ours (dish water outside, solar showering) but I can see the issue!

If you drive with the front windows opened but everything else closed tight it causes some sort of vacuum and pulls the smells out of the tanks and into your motorhome. Try cracking the windows in the back if there are any. During summer heat waves the tanks get really bad so you might have to add a deodorizer too.

I have had that problem also but was confused because the tanks were empty. Then I read that the P traps can smell when they are dry. Poured water down the sink and shower and the smell was gone. You might try that if you don't use the sinks often.

Hope this helps.

Jo

Talked to lots of people and we're going to add the vents like those mentioned in post 9. Great reviews from all which included owners of several different brands.
RV parts abound in Quartzsite and those are on my list.

Yes, dry drains can be stinky too.

right before i do the Tank dump---i add a squirt Dawn (Blue) & at least 5 lb ice cubes, down toilet---drive to Dump site---the ice cubes "swishing" around break up stuff, & help clean off sensors,I also run rv up on boards right side-which helps get a "good dump" when finished Valves all shut another squirt dawn (blue & at least a gallon water--(YES) some water in Tub & sink drains to fill "p-traps". & go happely down the road.
keebler.

Sparky, the bottom of our black tank is slanted toward the dump valve...no need for blocking to get a good dump.
When we first got this rig the tank was pretty gunky. I put in 1/2 bottle of Dawn, a few bags of ice, a little water, and drove a while making lots of turns and such. Made a power sprayer out of PVC and gave it "the business" after dumping the soap mix.
The sensors still don't work, but I can tell by the sound of the "plop" when its time to dump. Failing all else, a peek with a flashlight will tell the story.

ha-ha---Plop plop love that..
yep---when the shower backs up---time for the grey one for sure.
my black tank flat so i do the angle thing.I added the rinse out hookup on my black tank.
take care
light snow coming down here. NOT sticking, been raining since yesterday but 34 degrees..
happy Thanksgiving.

Latest posts