Onan microlite 2800 generator issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting comments about Onan reliability. My friend has a 3kw version that has been used in a hostile desert environment all it's life. It's over 30 years old and the carb has been replaced at least once but the basic unit has motored on.

Awesome! Glad to hear it.
For those who haven't used J B weld, the stuff is just like liquid steel. Im not kidding. In a pinch once I had a two stroke motor cycle, suzuki 185 and stripped the thread for one of the head bolts. I couldn't find a helicoil soon enough so I mixed up a batch and filled the hole. Went back 24 hours later, drilled and tapped it and that dog gone bolt held for several years! Amazing product.

The number of problems seen in Onan generators in RVs is probably in proportion to the number of them, so does not indicate any particular problem with them over other brands. I've got a Generac in my motorhome because that's what it came with.

Searching Onan, Honda and Yamaha with generator problems attached brought back 297K for Onan, over 500K for honda and over 400K for Yamaha.

This really means nothing other than all of them can and will have issues.

I wonder just how many folks get there first RV with a genset and know nothing other than you need gas in the tank and to push start when you want to use it! :p

yeah that's what I was trying to say. the majority of problems come from sitting so long between uses. highdesertranger