On-going mechanical issues part II

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
well.   Been a disconcerting two weeks.

So, in the last episode the beast (new name is Honey) needed a new master computer.   She would reliably start..every time, but after a short time the complete electrical system would shut totally off.   Just like turning off the key.   Waiting a week for that computer was just impossible.   Through massive hassle I drove it to the place where the painting was to be done.    Got the new paint job.  Even had the opportunity to work on the electrical house system

But, when the time came to take it back...it would not go more than a few hundred feet before the electric just shut off.
Finally had it towed back.   The mechanic paid for the tow!

New computer put in.  Problem went away.   Starts and runs very nice.   But, after a few miles the engine stalls!
The hotter the engine gets, the shorter the distance between stalling.
Back to the shop

Those folks chased down every wire...every connection.  No codes showing.
They got a "break out box" and ran this till they saw the failure happen....everything on the box was reading good!

So. They started testing components, and found the control module for the coil was bad.   this is the same control module that has been replace 4 times in the last month.    So, the mechanic started doing some internet searching ... he found that Ford was actually the object of a class action suit over this part back in the early 90s.   When this get really hot...it fails.
This explains why putting a new one in always solves the problem for a while..it is cold going in.   So, they waited a bit, then tested the module again... cold it tests good.

The fix is to get a heat sink (this is the Ford design to solve this) and relocate this module away from the position deep inside the engine compartment....

As a quick test....the mechanic moved the module and screwed it down near the top of the compartment ...  after driving for more than 20 miles..no failure!  
Ok..it cannot stay there...it isn't secure.  But, once the heat sink is in...this (please) will be the end of these constant problems,

Man, that is some serious detective work right there! Glad it got sorted out.

On the old vehicles I used to work on vapor lock was the most common "heat" problem and was solved with some aluminum foil and close pins and a custom vented hood to increase ventilation. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Well I'm glad the problem was found and will be fixed for you........I hope.  I wonder if this was the problemm all along did you really need a new computer?  

You know it took months to find the short in the system in my Safari.  That was only after Glaval, who did the conversion refered me to the company that purchased much of their conversion stock/parts and plans.  They gave me a ph # for my mechanic to call and gave him a website to use.  

I think being a good mechanic includes detecting in the skill set.   I'm glad I watched so many detective TV shows from the '50s as a child to about 3ys ago when I dropped my cable. Thank You Perry Mason, Rockford, & Cannon to name a few. 
Not that I'm a mechanic, however I can find one :D

Jewellann

this was a common problem with Fords from the mid 70's through the 80's. I thought by the 90's they had it worked out. I wish I would have known this was a Ford you where having this problem with. highdesertranger

I hope Honey takes it easy on you for awhile. That new paint job really looks nice.

One of the reasons I prefer OBD2 vans. You can watch sensor output and faults develop in real time.
Interesting bug though. I'm glad there's a reasonable fix. Just remember it when driving in hot weather.

Once this is physically moved to a new location where it isn't subjected to the blast of heat directly behind the radiator fan....and it is imbedded in its own heat sink, this problem is done.

So far, there have been 8 unique and discreet problems, Solving each one as essential before he next would even be discoverable. I only,hope we have made it to the bottom.

highdesertranger said:
this was a common problem with Fords from the mid 70's through the 80's. I thought by the 90's they had it worked out. I wish I would have known this was a Ford you where having this problem with. highdesertranger

@highdesertranger

That the 'Thin Film' Module, or some similar name?

Hope it is a lasting repair for you !

It is almost a certainty there shall be some new wear & tear problem soon enough.
All we can do is hope it's later than sooner.
wheels

Picked up the RV yesterday and drove it about 40 miles.

It has never sounded so good, run so smooth. I have high hopes that this is going to last a while. A few months at least till my reserves are built back up

This mechanic did not bill me for the huge number of hours he and others in his shop spent running down all these problems.
I think he both felt guilty for not listening to me in the first place, and because nailing this took so much time and had him stumped.

did you give them a positive review and list their contact info? highdesertranger

VanKitten said:
Picked up the RV yesterday and drove it about 40 miles.

It has never sounded so good, run so smooth.    I have high hopes that this is going to last a while.    A few months at least till my reserves are built back up

This mechanic did not bill me for the huge number of hours he and others in his shop spent running down all these problems.
I think he both felt guilty for not listening to me in the first place, and because nailing this took so much time and had him stumped.
Your Mechanic sounds like a good guy. Plus now he can add Ghost Buster to his resume. :cool:
I hope it is now reliable for the duration of time you need it to be, and forever more.
Happy Trails. :)

I gave a great review. Did recommendations in the section below.

And..they all got boxes of muffins (all different kinds) and pastries. Lots of both

I advised the guys at the front desk to lock the doors and pretend to be gone if they see me pull in again! Lol