OMG!! Where is it Actually COOL?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I’m the fool sitting in south Texas now. I’ve been in 90+ heat since late May. I’m done with this. Next year, I’m going to be lolling right on the Pacific coast.

That’s where you go if y’all want to stay cool!

A cool 55 degrees with 89 percent humidity here in OR. Hard to get things done with all the wet, supposed to dry out tomorrow followed by another deluge.  I managed to get all my camping gear for camp hosting dried out, now am waiting for a dry day to "minimalist" the mini storage before hitting the road. 
Also thanks for keeping this thread & great map. That red spot between Cali and Az got worse. Knowing the real time temps out there helps when you are planning your meandering path.     ~crofter

another nod to the oregon coast

more trouble with chilly weather than being to hot. yesterday was beautiful but cool. still shorts n T shirt most of the day. rains came today and needed pants and a fleece. not much sun for the solar but if you can deal with the wet, this is a great place to be

Hi again.
When one is comparing south Texas (90 min from Houston) to almost ANYWHERE ... it's gonna be Cooler! Lol

I went due north and didn't stop til Ardmore, OK, where I found I could be outside without the dripping dampness (humidity) and even a cool (ish/er) breeze. :) (west Tx desert was NOT anywhere I was going THIS time of year!!)

From there I high tailed it thru OK. City, Amarillo, and on to NM. Santa Fe, Taos, and AngelFire in my sites so I can get with the Van dwelling!! Lol

It's sooooooooooi pleasant outside. I feel like DOING things already. :) (as oppossed to hiding in my house under the watchful eye of air conditioning!)

Yes..80s definately work minus 90% humidity!!
I feel human again.

The other thing to remember is, it is now the middle of September when the seasonal changes come. It will be cooling down very quickly at higher elevations. Some of the mountains near where I live are already getting below freezing at night. It's always something.

waldenbound said:
Hello,
I’m the fool sitting in south Texas now. I’ve been in 90+ heat since late May. I’m done with this. Next year, I’m going to be lolling right on the Pacific coast.
Bless your Soul. :(  Get out NOW!!! lol  

I'm waaaaaaaaaay happier in just one day, and the further I get the better the weather.
I spent a couple years on PC.. it's not necessary.  I'm havin a blast in NM.. just.... breathinggggg.

Last night is my first night of sleep in 4 months -
cooled off to 88 - Texas - almost got out a blanket

Cher, if you're near Santa Fe and going to be heading back towards Texas one of these days, you can go down Hwy 14, the Turquoiuse Trail, and bypass Albuquerque on the way. There is some very nice camping in the state parks on the reservoirs near Truth or Consequences. The cranes go there for the winter. Probably lots of boondocking spots too, if you check. You can also work your way west from there towards Quartzsite.

Groovy2 said:
Last night is my first night of sleep in 4 months -
cooled off to 88 - Texas - almost got out a blanket

You poor thing!  :blush:

tx2sturgis said:
Where abouts in New Mexico?

Taos area.  (Not real fond of the town... busy, traffic, crowded, too many tourist) Found great RV park a bit out of town w/110 elec. and wifi!! Whee.

Be sure to check out the old La Fonda Hotel in the square. There is one in Santa Fe by the same name, but the one in Taos is special. Famous back during the 1930s and 1940s (I think) when it was a mecca for the art world.

cherterr said:
Bless your Soul. :(  Get out NOW!!! lol  

I'm waaaaaaaaaay happier in just one day, and the further I get the better the weather.
I spent a couple years on PC.. it's not necessary.  I'm havin a blast in NM.. just.... breathinggggg.

Honey, I’m here for the long ride. The only consolation is that fall is coming. Right now, it’s like a Groundhog Day rerun of 90 something, 90 something, 90 something...

Washed van in Taos this morning then went to Kit Carson museum and homesite...for a book a fellow camper told me about..then down to not quite Santa Fe at a private home backed up to BLM land.

Last night at Taos was 45 degrees...I was fine but I worry about doggie heat stroke in goose down comforter.... So decided to go down a bit. Tonight should be a nice light blanket nite of 54 degrees..butborderli e hot a couple of hours in afternoon.

Have NO idea where to next, but have 2 nites here.:):)
Loving my 'adjustment phase'.

"Have NO idea where to next".

Now you can start heading back south.

Are you done with Texas now? It "will" be cooling off down there in the coming weeks I should imagine.

Won’t cool off in Texas till November maybe December, depends on how far south you go.

Last time I was there that was about when it started raining! LOL!!!

Latest posts