OMG look what I found!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara

Reaction score
They are these giant conversion/cutaway/sort of boxy but not really Chevy vans! &nbsp;The boxes are super light and it's just on a regular chassis. &nbsp;I think the boxes are about 10 feet. AND they're from the 2000's AND one of them only has 8k miles on it!!! They're being auctioned off and it looks like I might be able to get one for under $4k! &nbsp;Cross your fingers for me!&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Also, any intel? &nbsp;They're diesel, "del van," 8 cylinder... I can't find anything about them but I think it should get around 15mpg? &nbsp;Wheee, what will I do with so much space?!?&nbsp;</div>

That seems almost too good to be true. But if everything is legit, than snatch it up!<br>

It's totally legit! &nbsp;I would link to it but I don't want y'all bidding against me. ;-)<div><br></div><div>I'm probably going to end up with the one with higher miles (28k! &nbsp;still so low!) for what I can afford and the way the biddings going.</div>

<font class="Apple-style-span" size="4">holey moley! that would be a vanmansion! &nbsp;we'd have room to sit and play dice games in that sucker!</font>

Looks like there'd be plenty of room for my Earl to move around in too.

Hope you are able to get one.&nbsp; I'm still trying to find a car that I can afford.&nbsp; Sometimes wish I had bought a TT and truck instead of motor home.&nbsp; Ed<br>

Oh man. &nbsp;The bidding suddenly exploded and with about 10 hours left they're all way up out of my price range. :-( &nbsp;gsaauctions.gov tho!

Tara, check out my ex prison bus, "Buford" in my aviator. It came from a state auction. It's a 2000, v8 gas 350, one ton (3500) single rear wheel and had 99.5 kmi on it when I bought it for $1800. I did have to do some work, (front brakes and rotors, brake line and fuel pump) but I still have less than $3k in it. I can stand up inside ( very slightly stooped, I'm 6' tall) and it's 10' from the rear door to the seat backs.
http://www.GovDeals.com/index.cfm
Might be a good place to look.
Les

<font size="4"><strong>Hi, I am new here and am thinking about living on the road. I found an old TRANS-</strong></font><font size="4"><strong>VAN that needs work on the inside. So I could customize it to my liking. The asking price is $1000.00 I think if I waved 700 or 800 under the guys nose he would take it. Now for my question! Would that be stealth enough to park say at Wally-World. without getting hassled by the police? What about being parked legally on the street? Would have all living electric be 12v system on different Battery than starting battery. For heat in the winter would use ceramic 12v heater. I have a bicycle with a 2 cycle motor on it. That I would carry with me for short trips to save on gas.(for Trans-Van) Bike gets 100 mpg Cooking would be done on a propane stove. Which could be used for heat in a pinch. (windows down a bit) Any thoughts would be helpful - TY in advance</strong></font>

A 12v electric heater either wouldn't put out enough heat to be worth much, or would take so much power as to drain your batteries quickly, or both.&nbsp; Maybe a 12v electric blanket to warm your bed would be doable.<br><br>Some type of propane heater would be more practical -- mr. buddy or catalitic with the window cracked.<br><br>

&nbsp;Hi polecat - you don't need to worry about being stealth at Walmart - if they don't have signs up you can stay. If you stay for many days in a row without moving they may ask you to leave but you won't get hassled by the police or towed without some warning from Walmart first. Staying on the street might be a different story. If you move around and don't stay on residential streets ,you can probably do it. We stay on the street with our small class C when we're visiting people but most of the time the neighbors know that why we're there and we've been okay. You'd do better to find some public land close to a town if you want to stay long term.<br><br>&nbsp;Think about setting up a small solar system with at least one additional battery.<br><br>

Hi Polecat..<br>I think a transvan is a great choice...I am also looking for something like that...an older Chinook or certain Transvans, maybe a Mobile Traveler. But a small class c like that would be great for my needs. Tonyandkaren already addressed&nbsp; the parking concerns and they are right in line to my way of thinking.<br>Also what you are paying is about what I would want to pay. That said, it will need a lot of work being as old as it is...as you say, you can do the interior....how about the running gear? What is in it and how much traveling will you plan on doing?<br>Bri &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>

Would be going about 300 miles per week or 1000 per month. Have not heard it run yet. Its just sitting there been there for 6-7 months that I know of. The only way I wont get is if it dont run. My plan is to do flea marketing and swap meets. While maintaining a Ohio residence.My landlady is the type of person that would let me use the address for a small fee. Could sleep in the T-Van when I came back to town. I live above a bar so there wouldnt be a problem staying there in the parking lot..(ask already)

I have started saving for the T-van the guy still has it. Going to talk to him soon figure in 3 months will have the money to get it. I figure it will be about 1 1/2yrs before I am ready to hit the road. I also was wondering does anyone ever get up by me. If so let me know in pvt mess. and maybe we can meet for coffee.

<P><FONT size=3>In 1982 I bought a 1966 bread truck. Paid $600. Paid about $1,000. to get it road worthy. It was great. I used tongue and grove pine paneling inside. I had installed a kerosene heater with cold air intake and outside vent. I did not insulate it and used it during winter. Ah yes fond memories... a cabin on wheels!</FONT></P>