Olympian Wave 3 recessed install (pictures)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Although I have a full RV furnace, I wanted to install something less resource intensive. I bought the Wave 3 to plumb it into my onboard tank. But not wanting to take up floor space I got a little creative.

Olympian says the Wave 3 cannot be recees installed. They also specify 18" clearance above the unit and 4" on both sides. What I did is build a firebox for the unit so that heat is not transferred to any flammable materials (also so that dust does not get in from behind and contaminate the catalyst pad). Plywood, then 1/2" drywall all the way around, then wrapped in sheet metal.

The vent for the furnace got moved over to make room. After installing, I ran the heater on high for an hour to see if anything was getting dangerously hot - everything around the firebox is cool to the touch. The underside of the seat has a heat deflector built onto it (not seen in pictures) as most of the heat goes up.

Next, I'm going to get on a metal brake and make a solid cover for the front so dust doesn't get into the pad when not in use.

For some this install may be a "don't try it at home" sort of thing, just be aware I'm knowingly not following manufacturer instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_20161006_220328662.jpg
    IMG_20161006_220328662.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20161007_090213608.jpg
    IMG_20161007_090213608.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20161007_114946.jpg
    IMG_20161007_114946.jpg
    928.3 KB · Views: 124
One Awesome Inch said:
Cool. Only challenge will be turning it on.

I'm not sure what you mean, the controls are right there on the front.....

Mobilesport it puts out a consistent even heat flow. It's only 3k BTU so I don't think it'll heat the whole van when it's cold but I just want it to warm the immediate area.

That wood and fabric directly above the heater causes me concern. Sitting in that space might be interesting when the heater is on. I would consider making that part of the bench something else.

Nice craftsmanship.

I've had two different thing literally catch fire after falling on a Wave 3--be very strict about clearances, they are life and death.

I would expect no less of something flammable on the heater to catch fire, that's why I built a firebox around it. :) That includes above it between the wood and fabric. I consider this thing no less dangerous than an open flame in a firebox when it's on. Obviously, no one can sit there when it's on - it works for me.

You have answered my biggest question! Can it be recessed? Why yes, yes it can! Being my ambo is all metal, it should work out great. I have been looking to move up from my buddy heater, and the wave was my first choice but the whole "no recess, keep dust away" scared me. Let me know how this works out long term. I want to get one for this winter, but don't want to jump in without research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baloo said:
You have answered my biggest question! Can it be recessed? Why yes, yes it can! Being my ambo is all metal, it should work out great. I have been looking to move up from my buddy heater, and the wave was my first choice but the whole "no recess, keep dust away" scared me. Let me know how this works out long term. I want to get one for this winter, but don't want to jump in without research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wave 6 is designed to be installed recessed, either vertically or horizontally. If you have the space I'd suggest jumping up to that. I don't have that much space so I went with the Wave 3 and made it work.

It's been running tonight and is on in front of me now. Will try to report back if there are any updates.

Just a follow up comment - I've been using this heater daily since its install and have had zero problems.

Great job and good information, thumbs up!!!

It's an interesting idea. I love my Wave 3 but prefer to keep off the floor so I can turn it on easily.

Seems you're okay with having yours low? It does make sense in terms of heat rising etc.

I experimented extensively with my Wave 3 and found that it is a pretty inefficient space heater, as it works well when pointed at the object you wish to heat (infra red waves), but will not heat space in general. I use mine sitting on a table surface the same height as my bed by pointing it at my head in bed. I've used it down to 15 degrees satisfactorily in this manner, and stayed quite warm. When placed on the floor it does not do nearly a good a job of heating at night. (I do run it all night long).

dang 66788 you are back amongst us. hope you show at RTR. Timotea and I would like to have you help us dig some yellow stuff. highdesertranger

66788 said:
I experimented extensively with my Wave 3 and found that it is a pretty inefficient space heater, as it works well when pointed at the object you wish to heat (infra red waves), but will not heat space in general.  I use mine sitting on a table surface the same height as my bed by pointing it at my head in bed.   I've used it down to 15 degrees satisfactorily in this manner, and stayed quite warm.   When placed on the floor it does not do nearly a good a job of heating at night.   (I do run it all night long).

Yeah there are definitely cold spots down low while the air is warm  near the ceiling . I have my Endless Breeze strategically placed to blow down. it hasn't been cold enough to tryit for the night yet however .

Very nice job. Craftsmanship. I myself would not enclose such a heater.

One Awesome Inch said:
It's an interesting idea. I love my Wave 3 but prefer to keep off the floor so I can turn it on easily.

Seems you're okay with having yours low? It does make sense in terms of heat rising etc.

I'm not sure it would be hard to turn on, it's just holding a button for a few moments. I like mine static and not taking up additional storage space.... if I had to set it up every time I would be disinclined to use it. This setup works for me!

How does the heat deflector at the top of the firebox work, does it come all the way out to the lower edge of that bench platform or have some kind of air gap between the wood and the metal flashing up there? I can't tell from the last picture if it wraps around or extends past the front edge of that piece of wood, or just stops right underneath the leading edge. As long as you've said that it isn't getting hot to the touch, I don't see how it would be a problem. Nice clean install for a catalytic!

Don't forget to cover the front of the Wave 3 when not in use because dust will contaminate and render inoperative the heating pad.