Olympian Wave 3 on sale on Amazon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I bought the Olympian heater I think with some minor maintenance the Mr buddy may last longer, depending on the environment it is operated in. Looks like the dust and humidity can harm the Olympian easier.
A SEEKER

mr buddy is safe if vented properly also. the manual even says its for van use among other tight spaces. i slept with mine running all last winter with zero negative effects. vent, alarms, win.
it only produces noticable co when oxygen is depleted.

DazarGaidin said:
mr buddy is safe if vented properly also. the manual even says its for van use among other tight spaces. i slept with mine running all last winter with zero negative effects. vent, alarms, win.
it only produces noticable co when oxygen is depleted.

What kind of tank do you use? How did you set it up? Thanks!!

I use the little buddy, the 20lb with 12 foot buddy hose, and filter. The tank is bungied in at the back door behind my bed and hose feeds under to the heater, which is sitting where it has open space in front of it. I usually keep some of the small canister around too, as the filters will sometimes freeze up. I also keep an extra filter at work to swap out in the morning, but we can go weeks at low teens or less here.

I also have a small fire extinguisher, digital co detector, and wool fire blanket right near my bed and always ventilate well.

The green bottles cost a minimum of $10 to as much as $24 a gallon. You can fill a bulk tank for $2-$4 a gallon.

Which would you rather pay?

Bob

DazarGaidin said:
I use the little buddy, the 20lb with 12 foot buddy hose, and filter. The tank is bungied in at the back door behind my bed and hose feeds under to the heater, which is sitting where it has open space in front of it. I usually keep some of the small canister around too, as the filters will sometimes freeze up. I also keep an extra filter at work to swap out in the morning, but we can go weeks at low teens or less here.

I also have a small fire extinguisher, digital co detector, and wool fire blanket right near my bed and always ventilate well.

Thanks!
You set it up the way I'm thinking of doing it myself.
On other posts its been mentioned that a vented box should be built for the tank, is that what you did?

akrvbob said:
The green bottles cost a minimum of $10 to as much as $24 a gallon. You can fill a bulk tank for $2-$4 a gallon.

Which would you rather pay?

Bob

I guess it depends where you live and/or work. If I was retired living on BLM land I sure would get the biggest possible and safest tank available.
But I'm still working. And for the last three years I've been doing work in a facility owned by the NY/NJ Port Authority. Sometimes I have to get in through this one particular gate where they make you open the back doors.
How would they react upon seeing such a large propane tank? I don't know. Not sure I want to find out.
For the time being I may have to use small tanks, as much as I don't like it.

i dont have a vented box for it. thats proper but im not always proper :p. neither of my old vans are exactly airtight either

DazarGaidin said:
i dont have a vented box for it. thats proper but im not always proper :p. neither of my old vans are exactly airtight either

I'll have to figure something out. Thank you.

Just got an email notification that my package had shipped. Pretty quick for free shipping.

Mine arrived and I'm pleasantly surprised that it is so small. It will be just the right size for my Dodge High Top van and take up much less room than my Wave 6.

Lovin' it!

Mine came in today also, one box with the legs, cover and 12 ft hose. Thanks for the tip.

I received the Wave 3 from Amazon. I set it up with a 20 lb propane tank in the van. The heat output seemed weak and I could only feel heat when I got close to the heater. After about 3 hours I was awakened by my CO detector going off.

The CO level had reached 42 PPM. Not a dangerous level but enough for the alarm to go off. I didn't have a window open, but my van is not very sealed and I get a lot of cold drafts. I am considering returning the Wave 3 and going for the Buddy with more power.

I forgot to mention in an earlier post that keeping dust away from the Wave 3 is very important. Dust and other particulates damage the platinum catalytic surface and shorten its life. I bought the cover for mine though one could probably be made easily enough.

Van-Tramp said:
I have to ask, why get this over the Mr Buddy heater? Mr Buddy is a catalytic heater too, costs half that of the Olympian Wave 3, and has higher BTUs to boot.

I can't find a reason to spend them money since I already have the Mr Buddy... am I missing something?

As I was perusing this thread I think it's because the Olympian uses a double platinum element and we know that platinum is expensive.

Just my two coppers worth.

One Awesome Inch said:
So whats the overall consensus on the Olympian?

Are you happy with it?

Very happy with it. Although it was not enough to heat the window van in the snow (27 degrees f) with no windows covered, once the windows were dealt with it is exactly what I need to keep warm.

I plan on being a snowbird and not needing it, but one never knows...

I used my Van furnace to get the inside temperature to 60 and then used the Wave only. It was about 20 outside and the wave held the temperature all night. Seems to maintain the temperature pretty good, but slow in bringing the temperature up. All in all I like it.