older woman looking with a nomadic soul

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamer106

Reaction score
Hi all, have been following Bob for years.  I thought about becoming a van dweller but kind of chickened out.  I am 67 and just moved to a retirement community in beautiful SW Florida.  However, I am not the golf cart, follow a bunch of retirement community rules type.  You have to ask permission to do just about anything to your property.  Moved out of sticks and bricks and into another type of home ownership.  I am giving myself a year, going to look for a van, sell this place and hit the road to see more of this beautiful country.  I would like to ask for help and advice in buying a van, finding someone to help with a build out and support from older women who are just starting this journey.  I realize that there are other types of community rules, ie, rules of the road, etc., but I desire friendship and shared community above all else.  I have a problem staying in one place too long.  Anyway, please tell me your stories and how I might start this adventure.  I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot, paid for but not what I imagine traveling in, unless anyone has done it, I would like to hear from you.  Thanks in advance.

You can get a taller Sprinter type van and there are tons and tons of mods and places that do van conversion. My advice is to create a folder in your browser and start visiting sites like this one, watch utube videos and when you see something that appeals to you, BOOKMARK IT. Then after a while you'll have a sort of "best of the best" ideas to look into with more depth.

Since you're the nomadic type you should have little problem with the tiny home and fewer worldly possessions lifestyle. It then becomes organization and day to day planning for necessities, food, water, gasoline, communication / internet and so on.

The Sprinter van size is easy to drive and find parking for, much easier than an RV.

Best of luck on your journey! Stay safe out there.

Welcome dreamer to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Have you given any thought to a used motorhome ? I just bought one and love it I bought a 29ft and already I think it's on the smaller size, glad I didn't get what I thought I wanted a really short one?
I converted a cargo trailer 10years ago and although I have pretty good carpentry skills it was hard without some help and in the end just had the bare needs.
filling generators and gas cans gets old fast
with a motorhome you have it already professionally built and you just get in it a go if you wanted to trade or sell it I think you may have a easier time than a converted van ? just my thoughts ?

Since you have a newer vehicle to tow with consider getting a very small teardrop trailer like a MyPod teardrop link. The towing capacity of your jeep is very low so you need a 1000 lb or less trailer.  Try to find one used so you don't take a huge depreciation hit.  You can try out the lifestyle this way with minimal cash outlay, and if you do not like the trailer or want to upgrade in the future teardrops sell very well in the used market.  Number 1 most important when traveling is a reliable vehicle. Find some groups of people on this or facebook forums to camp with and see how it goes. I do not recommend spending a lot of money on a Sprinter and outfitting it until you really understand the lifestyle and t
he type of rig you are gong to want. Many people find they are better off in a smaller class C with a shower and bathroom.

dreamer106 said:
Hi all, have been following Bob for years.  I thought about becoming a van dweller but kind of chickened out.  I am 67 and just moved to a retirement community in beautiful SW Florida.  However, I am not the golf cart, follow a bunch of retirement community rules type.  You have to ask permission to do just about anything to your property.  Moved out of sticks and bricks and into another type of home ownership.  I am giving myself a year, going to look for a van, sell this place and hit the road to see more of this beautiful country.  I would like to ask for help and advice in buying a van, finding someone to help with a build out and support from older women who are just starting this journey.  I realize that there are other types of community rules, ie, rules of the road, etc., but I desire friendship and shared community above all else.  I have a problem staying in one place too long.  Anyway, please tell me your stories and how I might start this adventure.  I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot, paid for but not what I imagine traveling in, unless anyone has done it, I would like to hear from you.  Thanks in advance.

I live in punta gorda I have a van and was doing the nomd thing  until the virus kinda of made it unfun so I bought another place I just left in the middle of June and gone for 2 months should be back around the middle of aug if you want to check out my van to get some ideas 
JIMMY

dreamer106 said:

If you're OK with towing, there are some very lightweight trailers that your vehicle will pull.
Check out Slim Potatohead on youtube.

jacqueg said:
If you're OK with towing, there are some very lightweight trailers that your vehicle will pull.
Check out Slim Potatohead on youtube.
Slim Potatohead is awesome!! I love his lightweight trailer adventures!

Hi. I’m also older (68) & in SW FL.  Also irritated with my HOA telling me what I can/can not do.  After living in Clearwater general area for years ( I own a 1bedrm villa), I’m sick of the heat & decided to be a Snowbird, thought about buying  a small Snowbird house near IL / Iowa border. Then found Bob’s CRVL on UTube. It makes more sense for me to have wheels and travel. What I love about Bob is that I also cherish freedom more than “things”.
   I’m in Dunedin now for 5 yrs. I lived in New Port Richey for 14 yrs and in Port Charlotte for 15. Where area are you in?  Close enough for coffee?
  Jeri

Started out in a Kia Soul and moving up to a minivan. Im in Fort Walton Beach and would be happy to help if I can. You tube and Bob's videos have been a tremendous help for me.