Old Stanley stainless insulated jug... anyone recognize?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Five years ago, I was doing work inside the ceiling of an old building. It was a block wall building that at some point had been remodeled with drywall for offices. The location I was in, inside the ceiling, was only accessible by climbing the steel trusses over the block walls from adjacent areas.

While I was up there, I saw this. An old Stanley insulated jug. It's just like those orange plastic coolers with a spout you see everywhere except this one obviously much older... stainless steel liner, cork gaskets, spring hinges. I have to assume that someone doing the remodel work brought it on the job, accidentally walled it into the ceiling, then thought "Ah, screw it..."

At the time I thought it was neat and tried to find out more about it. I couldn't find anything online, even with the model number. I posted the pictures in a few places on the web without much feedback. I even emailed Stanley, but they've been bought out a few times and they said they have no records back that far.

Anywho. Just came across the pictures recently and thought if anyone might recognize this thing or take interest it would be this group.

833HpWr.jpg
RW1eJkA.jpg

q4C1wHP.jpg
BogxvFK.jpg

eKjHADo.jpg
xPDRvJ2.jpg

8uZc8jS.jpg

rCLgfll.jpg

Now , that's a COOL cooler , errrrrrr jug !.

definitely cool,my first though was,it looks military,so you might want to look there

My Dad had a couple from the mid 30's, those both (1-quart(?) , the other a gallon) had screw on aluminum cups over a cork stopper. They were blue at one time, the majority worn off by the 50's when I remember them. The spout on the gallon one was a turn spigot and not shielded like yours
I'd guess your's is older by the style of mfg and the complex latch.

Interesting what can be found in old houses- found one very rare conetop beer can that sold for $2100. Mostly found tools and junk, but that was a good day.

Contact Stanley and ask them.  If it is old as it looks they may be interested that you have it.  Maybe they can tell the history of it.

LeeRevell said:
Contact Stanley and ask them.  If it is old as it looks they may be interested that you have it.  Maybe they can tell the history of it.

Well, as was mentioned in my post, I did contact Stanley and they didn't know.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
That's a 1922 military issue "Jeep Jug".

Really? This is the first seemingly confident identification I've heard. I also wouldn't have guessed it at that old. I'll have to search that phrase and see if I come up with anything.

Off the top of my head, I don't think a military item would have a colored commercial label on it, and why would a 1922 item be called a jeep jug?  jeeps didn't come along until the 40s.

Skeptical Regards
John

it does look military to me, especially the wording on the labels. highdesertranger

IIRC a lot of military stuff is labeled GP (general purpose) and got shortened by saying jeep instead of G.P. The Jeep as we know it today started as a general purpose vehicle.

Now about the red label I don't have a clue. It is green paint but does not appear to be olive drab. Looks more like regular camping gear green. Dunno

Maybe originally designed for forestry crews, or railroad crews?  Lots of possibilities.  Whatever, it is sure in great condition.  :cool:

Found this on ebay, looks very similar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD...BALE-HANDLE-/201484703534?hash=item2ee96c972e

And another under the "Westernfield" name, which was a store brand name for items made by major manufacturers for a store chain.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-THE...-COOLER-JUG-/400710352124?hash=item5d4c32bcfc

Look on in this listing, and there are many other items of similar type.

The model number 3322 designates that it was model 33 and manufactured in 1922.

Only the military issue ones had the spigot guard.

I have a friend that's into antiques and collectibles. He purchases them at thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales, then sells them online. That's how he supports himself while full timing.

Didn't see much stainless in 1922. Liners were enameled if not glass.

That's a cool piece of gear! Just a side note - the original jeep was a General Purpose small ship from the Navy. And the original jeep vehicles were manufactured by 3 companies. You got to love when a manufacture trademarks a phrase that was in use for decades and acts like they invented it.

GrantRobertson said:
So, is it still trapped up in that building? Or were you able to get it out?

I got it out. I've had it in storage since then. So it's still in my possession just not in the van with me.

Latest posts