Old silenoid rusted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cford151

Reaction score
So I have an old silenoid wire??? Connected to by engine battery( at the battery posts) that is rusted and preventing me to start my van. So how do I remove it or replace. Is it something a professional needs to to do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

did you try cleaning the terminals on the ends of the wire and also the battery post? Sometimes that is all it takes. You do of course need to take the terminals off so you can clean the underside.

first off I moved this thread to the electrical sub forum. please only post one thread in the "Newcomers Corner" once with your intro thread.

lots more info needed,
year, make, model?
is this the starter solenoid or a house battery solenoid?
what exactly is rusted, the wire? the terminals? the solenoid itself?
good quality wire and terminals should never rust because they shouldn't be made out of iron/steel.

highdesertranger

cford151 said:
van. So how do I remove it or replace. Is it something a professional needs to to do.

If you do this yourself make sure you disconnect the negative cable from the battery first.

Not sure that on wire that is actually rust you are seeing since it is most likely copper wire. Iron/steel rust and copper corrosion is not "rust". I still think the first step is to remove the ends and clean up the terminals and battery post. Then try seeing if it works. It is of course very possible that the solenoid itself has failed. I changed one myself years ago when I had a VW bus. It was not a difficult job to do, just some bolts and nuts to deal with to swap it out and then reconnecting the wires. But all vehicles are a bit different regarding how easy it is to access components. Of course even though I am a woman and I was in my early 30s at the time I was already an aircraft assembly mechanic so nuts and bolts and doing some assembly removal and installing work did not intimidate me.

Well it will be interesting to me usually deal with flesh and bone instead of nut and bolts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts