OKRA -- yuck or yum? Try this.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
Okra...ask somebody if they like it and you will always hear about the slime.  I found a way to make it that is quick, easy, and slime-free delicious!  Even my neighbor likes it.

Fresh okra, however much:  wash it well and dry it off.  If you want, cut off the top stem end.  You can leave it on, up to you.   It is important to do this right before cooking.  Not ahead of time!

Heat peanut oil on high in a skillet, just enough to barely cover the bottom of the skillet.  Peanut oil can withstand high temps without burning.  Place the dry okra in skillet, one layer, don't crowd it, stirring to turn it or just shake the skillet.  NO LID.  Cook for maybe 3-5 minutes on high.  This is like a stir fry. Don't overcook.  When you think it's almost done, remove it!  Otherwise it'll overcook.  Drain on a paper towel.  Salt and pepper to taste.  No slime and very tasty!

The key to this is to do it fast.  Don't let the okra sit after cutting the stem off.  And hot hot hot.  Cook it uncovered, no steam.  I do use a spatter screen.

No kidding, my friend and her son said "eewww" when I asked them about okra. Invited them over for dinner and made this for the first time. Offered her one right out of the skillet, she had this very doubtful look on her face and her son looked thankful he wasn't the test Guinea pig.  She took a small bite, got this very surprised look, and said, "OMG!  That's delicious!"  Now when I make it, I make extra and take her a plate.

Last night, after the okra was cooked and the skillet was still hot, I cut up some chicken (like tenders size), asparagus and a lonely mushroom that was hiding in the fridge, and dropped it in the skillet, covered and turned it down to med high, salt, pepper, a little garlic powder.  After plating, grated a little Romano cheese on top. A complete nutritious, one skillet meal in about 15 mins.  Afterwards, I thought about adding small tomatoes, whole.  Next time.  This is a good way to use up those fresh veggies that are about to go bad.

I love fried okra. Prefer it to be breaded though.
I don't cook it myself but order it whenever it is a side when going out to eat. My MIL used to fry some okra in cornmeal that I really liked too. The FIL grew it so we got to pick-n-eat fresh. Wear long sleeve shirt when picking though.

With all the food choices in the world, why bother with okra?

Bacon wrapped?!  Ohhhh...hadn't thought of that.  Except I sorta restrict my eating certain things (health reasons), which is why I don't bread it.  Sigh.

Why okra? Well, just some variety. Tired of broccoli, green beans, peppers, same ole stuff.

Bacon, huh.  One can dream!

Love okra any way you can prepare it especially pickled. My kids and I always called pickled okra cowboy pickles because you eat everything but that top and when you sit it down on your plate it looks like a tiny cowboy hat.

With all the food choices in the world, why bother with (gmo peanut oil ) & okra?

I had some fried okra the other day... I flooded it with ketchup... Man, that Heinz ketchup was good.

Annie W,

GMO peanut oil??  Oh my!  When I read that I jumped right up and checked my peanut oil (LouAna brand) label. It says "peanut oil is a non-GMO derived food" (in all caps).  Whew! Dodged that bullet.  Maybe.  Could that not be true? Is it a play on words?  An outright lie?  It was the only peanut oil on the shelf.  I may have to give up peanut oil!  Oh no! Along with sugar, fat, carbs, caged chicken eggs, any meats (abused animals), non-organic anythings, the list goes on and on.  Sigh.  (Tongue in cheek, of course.)

As for a whole world of foods out there, it's difficult to find different kinds of green veggies in the local supermarket.  Lots of different lettuces (mostly fillers with no nutritional content), broccoli, green beans, asparagus, peppers, cabbages (love bok choy), spinach. That's about it.  And lately OKRA!  People do make fun of it, poor okra.  So misunderstood.  But I like veggies and am open to different ideas anybody may offer up.

Hmmm...maybe start a thread on liver and onions next?  Lol!

I love tender small okra. Even as a child, I was fond of okra cooked any way it was presented. My Mom made the best combo of "stewed" okra, as she called it. She put a tiny bit of water in a saucepan with cut up okra, onion and tomato then quickly cooked it down finishing with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Summer goodness from the garden. Yes, I like liver and onions, too. Just don't overcook any of it!

Stargazer said:

Makes my gout flare up and then I gotta use the asparagus tea method to stop the symptoms.  I was a liver and onions lover (LOL) in my younger days but in these not so younger days I need to watch what I eat a little more carefully.

Thanks for posting. I shall try it. I've never really seen okra except in gumbos. I'm all for veg that doesn't need a lot of fuss. Brussels sprouts are my fav (cooked the same way except with a short steam at the end) but even they need to be messed with and cut in half.

Yummy, give dehydrated okra a try no slime,healthy and shelf stable. Easy to eat driving down the road,I eat the whole thing stem and all. The road ahead.

I like to cook up the Okra with a can of corn and a can of diced tomatoes with some dried onions and a beef bouillon cube and let it simmer to reduce in liquid volume. 

In the meanwhile, cook a cup of white rice in a couple cups of water (or just slightly more).  Once cooked about 15 minutes covered set it off to the side so it can absorb all of the moisture.

Then make a bed of rice on a plate and spoon the Okra, Corn, and Tomatoes over it.

If you want to cut up some smoked sausage into the Okra, Corn, and Tomatoes it will add to the flavor.

This makes a decent meal and I've also tried it with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on it.

Stargazer said:
Annie,

GMO peanut oil??  Oh my!  When I read that I jumped right up and checked my peanut oil (LouAna brand) label. It says "peanut oil is a non-GMO derived food" (in all caps).  Whew! Dodged that bullet.  Maybe. 
I may have to give up peanut oil!  Oh no! Along with sugar, fat, carbs, caged chicken eggs, any meats (abused animals), non-organic anythings, the list goes on and on.  Sigh.  (Tongue in cheek, of course.)

As for a whole world of foods out there, it's difficult to find different kinds of green veggies in the local supermarket.  Lots of different lettuces (mostly fillers with no nutritional content), broccoli, green beans, asparagus, peppers, cabbages (love bok choy), spinach. That's about it.  And lately OKRA!  People do make fun of it, poor okra.  So misunderstood.  But I like veggies and am open to different ideas anybody may offer up.

Hi Stargazer,
Most don't know to check when foods get added to the ever-growing list of GMO-inventory, so speak up ;) ahead of time.
(about 50 people die in the US yearly from peanut allergy),
so Dupont would love...cashing$$in on CRISPR-peanuts. For a few years, peanuts are still cool . *organic Coconut & Olive oils are best*.
Interesting below
http://seattleorganicrestaurants.com/vegan-whole-foods/top-20-genetically-modified-foods/

re 'hard to find enuf (?) GREENS': Look http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/04/brassica-vegetables_n_5091657.html - if you stick with EIGHT cruciferous veggies, or even just Broccoli, cauilflower, Kohlrabi, & kale, your body will love...you. Exceptionally nutrient-rich. Cook all but the yummy kohlrabi ;) Continue with bok choi, cabbages (incldg. purple), & Romaine-hearts.

re "liver & onions": you know what the liver's function is, right ? so in the good ol' days liver was good as animals were fed right. And we ate it whenever we could. Good stuff that I love :) too - But now, please make sure you get liver from a farmer you know well. We are blessed with such a friend, as all his animals are organically-fed.
after moving to the USA, teaching nutrition is one of my many passions... Be well :) Stargazer

If you aren't sure if a product is "GMO" look at the bar code.  If there is a 5 digit number it starting with "8"...then it is a GMO product. 

If it is a 4 digit number it is grown conventionally.

If it is a 5 digit number starting with "9",  then it is organic.

This info comes from this website: (uncommon information page)

http://spicerack.homestead.com/

eDJ_ said:
If you aren't sure if a product is "GMO" look at the bar code.  If there is a 5 digit number it starting with "8"...then it is a GMO product. 

If it is a 4 digit number it is grown conventionally.

If it is a 5 digit number starting with "9",  then it is organic.
Yeah, which when you think of it, is also passing strange.
It should be in Reverse:
"8" being the symbol for Eternal... should be used for Organic... really.

Whereas the gmo-crap they smuggle & shovel unmercifully, should be a "9" <-- as in NEIN (german), or NO.

yes eDJ_ = since kindergarten it's been 'do u ever not think, deeply?', & i said i should do it more.

Latest posts