Oil Light On

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

Reaction score
I've found a really good deal on a chevy express box truck.

It's a 2004 w/ 6.0 engine,  81K miles on it. It's not local and I haven't been to see it yet. Gotten pics/videos from the owner.

The oil light is on and shows 40 PSI when started/cold. I would have thought it would have been higher, but also would have thought the light wouldn't be on if 40.

I will get an inspection done on it this week, but wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

oil.PNG

could be nothing or could be serious. my guess would be a bad sensor. however the low fuel and the ABS light is also on and the fuel gauge shows less than empty. I would have it checked out. I wonder what happens once it gets warmed up? highdesertranger

good point Trebor. I notice a little wrench in the light, so it could be. highdesertranger

My Express runs at about 45 psi cold and a little lower when warm and the oil flows easier. However, synthetic oil will often read lower.

Problem solved.

Turns out, it is a change oil light / not low pressure.

Now to find out what's up with the ABS.

When I had an ABS light come on on my Tahoe, it turned out to be a burned out daytime running light bulb. A lot cheaper to replace the bulb but not easy (on mine).

The seller has agreed to hold it for me until I get an inspection done.

I figure I can get that done on Tuesday.

The truck is actually 700+ miles from me. I'm in FL and can't find any good deals at all anywhere.

Actually, I found one and it's even a better deal. However, I want a box that sits low and is at least 14 feet and has the overhang that goes over the cab. The one in FL is only like 12 feet with no overhang and sits high.

With a 14 foot box and the overhang, I can get like 1700 watts of solar on the roof and a fan. That will be cool!

A common thing with ABS... sometimes the wheel sensors collect metal shavings from brake dust, because they are mildly magnetic.  If there is any grease seepage onto the tone ring it can pack with brake dust under the brake rotor.  It's worth a few minutes to check and clean them.  My son's 1998 explorer has a sensor in the top of the rear end that gets fuzzies from the gear oil and needs to be cleaned periodically.  I've also seen wires damaged from road debris kicking up into the wheel house.  Sensors are fairly easy to swap out, but some can be pricey.  I wouldn't recommend to throw parts at it without first testing the sensors.  You can use an volt/ohm meter to check the sensor.  Disconnect the sensor connector plug and probe the sensor side.  Ohms vary by manufacturer but should be fairly equal across the fronts.  You can also spin the rotor and it will generate a small voltage depending on speed.  Beyond that you'll need an ABS scanner and diagnostics.

I know it's an old post but Chevy trucks have had lots of problems with their instrument panels over the years. Gauges stop working, especially the fuel gauge for some reason.