Official DATES for RTR 2018: Rules and Maps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I am seeing at the RTR there a lot of newcomers who haven't a clue. A new camper not far from was blasting music all day. I asked him nicely to turn it down. I informed him that this is a community that respects others. The guy got real nasty and I ended up calling the sheriff.
I am moving to a new spot tomorrow. All other people I have met have been nice.

Either you were in the music camp or he was in the wrong place. I move in tomorrow near HDR so be afraid, very afraid. lol

I can't believe I made it to the RTR from Kansas ! I'm very excited!!! I need some help as I was so very lost trying to know where to park and finally found a spot...but will need to move as the loud generators and constant bass and loud music into the later evening causes me issues. Where exactly do I  go, as the "no generator" area is full?

Tomcor said:
From what I am seeing at the RTR there a lot of newcomers who haven't a clue. A new camper not far from was blasting music all day. I asked him nicely to turn it down. I informed him that this is a community that respects others. The guy got real nasty and I ended up calling the sheriff.
I am moving to a new spot tomorrow. All other people I have met have been nice.

Even the random ones with monkeys?  :D

I am directly across from this guy.

His music is so loud I can hear it over my TV inside my rig at (nearly) 9.30pm

I won’t call the Sheriff as I don’t want to taint the RTR’s reputation when all eyes are looking this way.

Honestly, I could of tolerated his tunes if they had stayed at the volume when he started, but now every time someone says something it gets cranked up a little more and his cheap tiny outside speakers are distorting and tinny.

That and his (tied up) dogs barking every time someone passes by.

I’m going to try the sugar method tomorrow (I’m female so I’m hoping he won’t react as aggressively towards me) but if not, I’ll be forced to move camp also.

Yes, this is the music camp, but I work in music festivals, often camping and I’m finding this obnoxious.

There a lot of people parked close to him also. It is not right that people have to move just because of his dis-respect for other people. The sheriff did end up talking to him about 5:30 after I called. When I spoke to the sheriff he said they really can't do anything before 10:00pm on blm land. Yes he is still playing his stereo.

At last years RTR I did not hear any car stereos playing the whole time. Only some acoustic music.

And yes we are in the music section.

Hi all, I am planning on arriving RTR this Friday, 1/12 and have a couple of questions as a first timer ...  not to mention my first time pulling my 29' trailer solo (I do have experience, just not solo!!)  and am somewhat nervous...  so here goes: 

1.  are any of these roads ones that I could possibly go down in my truck/trailer combo that totals about 53' and not be able to turn around if I didn't find a spot on that "road"?  If so, I'd really like to look at other roads!!!!

2.  Do the colors on this map mean anything that I should be aware of ?  .. other than the black that designates the noise camp for generators and music (not for me), I haven't seen any type of legend for the colors.  FYI -  I don't have a generator, not a loud music player, so I am quiet in general and am looking for quiet and hopefully solo women if possible ... but that said I am not getting there until Friday and know it might be pretty full so regardless, I don't plan to be in the middle of things, but I would still like to be in walking distance of the firepit/seminars - are there any suggestions for what road to turn down upon a Friday arrival at approx. 2pm with my longish rig?  Older, solo Female first timer just looking for some input or advance information if possible!

attachment.php

So far, I have been planning from my research that i would come down Mitchell Mine Road (per the directions) and upon coming to the "sharp left" and seeing some RV's or the "RTR" camp sign on the right, I would hopefully find a place to "stage" that leaves me with options to get my rig either forward or backward without too much trouble!! ...  then after "staging" I would walk in from there to find a spot, getting some permission/direction/advice/input from the folks already there.  If someone could tell me now what a kind of "best bet" for which color road to consider turning down or staging at and trying on the first try - one that might be to my liking , I would appreciate anything I can learn in advance to calm my nervousness!

My plan is currently that if I "staged" at the start of a road, then I would walk back out, bring my trailer back in, park, unhook and THEN take my truck without the trailer to go get the permit.  Please also let me know if anyone thinks I should get my permit at Scaggan Wash first - but remember I'm pulling that fairly long trailer!!

I am looking so forward to this as an incredible opportunity to meet everyone (thank you Bob, Forum peeps and others), so if anyone can give me some direction that might help me feel more confident upon my arrival...it will be very much appreciated!!!  Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what staging means, but you could pull into the main camp road, unhook the trailer off the side of the beginning of the RTR road. Then drive in with the truck and look around. Or just pull over at the beginning of the RTR main camp road and walk around looking for a spot.
Ask a neighbor to hold your spot while you drive in.

Yes, you can get your spot first, and then go back out to get your permit.
Doesn't matter which color road you try, just try any one.

Welcome! After you get set up, you'll have a great time!

At the camp host, where you get the permit there is plenty of room to park and make turns.

And with a long rig like that there is a large area south of the main RTR road. Too the right and believe there is a sign for the "boomers" gathering. Where you may be able to drop the trailer and scout.

ASamanthajday said:
I am directly across from this guy.

His music is so loud I can hear it over my TV inside my rig at (nearly) 9.30pm

I won’t call the Sheriff as I don’t want to taint the RTR’s reputation when all eyes are looking this way.

Honestly, I could of tolerated his tunes if they had stayed at the volume when he started, but now every time someone says something it gets cranked up a little more and his cheap tiny outside speakers are distorting and tinny.

That and his (tied up) dogs barking every time someone passes by.

I’m going to try the sugar method tomorrow (I’m female so I’m hoping he won’t react as aggressively towards me) but if not, I’ll be forced to move camp also.

While walking our dog yesterday we could hear his music from a good distance away. Very rude to be blairing your music in that fashion in a camp. And then to get nasty at people for asking to turn it down, and even make it louder, sounds like cases of mental illness, so be careful and approach delicately.

Officially, RTR hadn't even started yet and already It begins.  Sigh.

There are people who need the stimulation of noise, whether it be music, barking dogs, drums, generators, it creates energy for them.  Silence makes them very nervous.  Others are just the opposite.  To ask a noise lover to turn down their source of energy... Makes them very nervous and defensive, possibly even aggressive.  Throw into that mix the "I can do what I want, it's a free country" attitude and here you are.  Those that do better with quiet become quite nervous with all the noise.  Now you have two people in heightened states at cross purposes.

As someone has already stated, noise travels across the desert in an amazing way, especially at night.  Separating the camps by a few miles may help some but for quiet lovers, maybe not enough.  The only solution would be to have two RTRs -- one in Arizona, another in Montana??  Noise welcomed at one, quiet only at the other?

Best wishes to all you brave people who are there.

Enjoying noise and blairing really really really loud music in the middle of camp I think are two different things.. if someone does need loud loud music, it seems common sense would dictate being courteous and moving to the outside of camp.

Or best if they USED HEADPHONES.  Maybe they think everyone loves THEIR loud music as much as they do because they're in the noise camp.

As for the gentleman with the loud music and two dogs, I had a really pleasant conversation with him yesterday evening. He saw me walking my dog and called me over because our dogs are so similar in appearance. He was really nice, relaxed and funny, BUT he is definitely a guy who reacts negatively to being told what to do. His opinion is, he is parked in the "music" area and, damn it, he is going to play his music. I didn't think it was all that loud when I was in the area, but I'm not 80 years old, nor am I camped close enough to hear it all day. I am camped in the noise section so I can use my little generator for a few hours in the evening, but I'm much further in. I call it the plague area because it's thinly populated. (I have no idea why you people enjoy camping right on top of each other.)

My kindly-stated opinion is this: if you cannot tolerate sound created by others or require total control of your environment, perhaps a large gathering is not the atmosphere for you. Maybe monastery life is more your speed.

I actually popped on to the forum this morning to find the location of the 10 am orientation. After reading a few threads, I have decided to skip it. If people are already complaining this much online, I'm not going to bother drowning myself in their negativity in person.

I think a solution for next year would be to change the label of the areas ....

I picked [music] because I have to use a generator, and I figured that generator use would be more acceptable in this area. I made sure it was running yesterday while people started parking close to me so that they were aware there would be day time generator use.

Several time he used the excuse “This is the Music area”. Which I’m pretty sure the amazing organizers did not mean “festival style camping”.

A change of terminology next year may help ???

Like I said, I work in the live music industry, I’m extremely good at blocking out people and noises, and I’ll suck it up best I can here. (Moving my rig is going to difficult now the camp has filled up).

Plus now the main event has started, I can at least walk away from the noise should it continue, and socialize in the main camp.

Sigh.

I’m sorry to complain, but it was really really obnoxious.

I’m really just trying to suggest a solution for next time. It’s the first RTR of this size, there are going to be teething problems.

I’m still very excited to meet everyone and get into the spirit of the event.

Yeah I think when the music area was created it was pretty thought to be common sense and play at respectable levels, and even respect your neighbors. I highly doubt anyone thought we should all just force our music on people and get mad when they don’t like it, that’s a mental issue, and if someone feels that they have to play their music so loud as to make sure everyone within 50ft can hear it, what exactly are they trying to prove?

The main thing we all need to do is be respectful of each other and not let egos get in the way, it’s not a free country and we cannot do anything we want. Things could run a lot smoother with compassion and respect. No one is telling him to turn it off, it’s a simple request of maybe not playing it so loud, no one is asking for a kidney.

Cranky Nomad said:
As for the gentleman with the loud music and two dogs, I had a really pleasant conversation with him yesterday evening. He saw me walking my dog and called me over because our dogs are so similar in appearance. He was really nice, relaxed and funny, BUT he is definitely a guy who reacts negatively to being told what to do. His opinion is, he is parked in the "music" area and, damn it, he is going to play his music. I didn't think it was all that loud when I was in the area, but I'm not 80 years old, nor am I camped close enough to hear it all day. I am camped in the noise section so I can use my little generator for a few hours in the evening, but I'm much further in. I call it the plague area because it's thinly populated. (I have no idea why you people enjoy camping right on top of each other.)

My kindly-stated opinion is this: if you cannot tolerate sound created by others or require total control of your environment, perhaps a large gathering is not the atmosphere for you. Maybe monastery life is more your speed.

I actually popped on to the forum this morning to find the location of the 10 am orientation. After reading a few threads, I have decided to skip it. If people are already complaining this much online, I'm not going to bother drowning myself in their negativity in person.

Yes, the few minutes I spent talking to him before he took a dislike to someone else asking him to turn it down, he was pleasant .... and his very aggressively ACTING dogs are sooper sweet animals, when you actually go up to him.

I’m not suggesting he’s the devil incarnate by any means. Just someone who didn’t care that he was obnoxious.

If you were walking the main thoroughfare past him, his speakers are not so painful, it’s just the 8 or so campers that were here before him that are affected by the very poor quality of loud tinny speakers. That once he realized he was upsetting folk he cranked up even louder.

Loud music is fine (I have stated that his starting volume was, while not socially acceptable was fine), but this was distorted rock music, for 9 very long hours that I couldn’t block out, inside my rig with my TV on extremely high.

I’m in my 40’s, I work around loud music, I’m an extremely tolerant person, this was obnoxious. I’m not someone who’s usually bothered by music and I’m parked here as it was the only place I could find that I could turn around my rig. My options are limited (I can leave camp obviously but it wasn’t an option I really wanted to consider before he RTR had started).

Anyway, I don’t need to clutter up this forum with complaints. I’ve made my suggestion as to a possible change in policy for the future, and I’ll now move on with having fun here at the RTR as much as possible.

Please don't think everyone is like that.  I'm not and although I tend to keep to myself a lot I have been social.  I'm in the disabled camp area behind the bulletin board.  I'm not geriatric either.

I'm really pleased to have met a very nice young man who gave my dog and I a tour today on his utv while he ran his dog and looked to see how far camp had spread.  He's quite intelligent and YAY another dog trainer that understands both behavior AND training.  His dog's reaction time to his whistles is impressive.  I very much hope I get to be in the same camp with him again. 

Plus there's some very nice people from where I camped in Ehrenberg. 

Please don't let a few people jade you on the rest of us.  Bob explained the purpose of the noise/music area during the orientation and it seemed reasonable to me. 

I always ask people to meet me in person. Bring a chair over.  There's plenty of room.  I'm in the very first disabled camp spot.  Just no pictures please.  It could mean my safety.  Thanks.

There will be all types of people. That will be trying to many. I drove over this morning and had a pretty good time except being dusted mercilessly by people coming in that refused to use the blacktop and instead drove in the dirt on the side of the road kicking up dirt that was drifting on the campers parked just off the road. Have some consideration with your dust please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confetti said:
GENERATORS: I hear generators in the main camp. Is it okay or not? 

Bob's rules post said there'd be a noise camp for those that need to make noise.  

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If you need to listen to music or run your generator, your neighbors around you should not have to listen to it...
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I do intend to have a designated NOISE CAMPING AREA for those who need to generate noise.[/font]

He established that camp on the northern border of the RTR.  It seems rather straightforward, though there is a generator putting 50' behind me.  I parked as far as possible away from Noise Camp as possible.   

Bob addressed the generator issue this AM in the orientation.  He said something like if you are running a generator for hours a day you need to be in an RV park with shore power.  The crowd applauded.