Off Grid Rock Tumbling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanandElaine

Reaction score
Hi there!  Does anyone do rock tumbling while boondocking?  If so, what are the power issues?  Is it even possible?  Can it be done using solar power or is it not practical?  I would like to try it when we go full time in September and we will be in the desert southwest.  If anyone is currently doing this, I would love to hear from you!  Thanks!

Google "small rock tumbler" and see what size motor it has. From that you can figure out how much juice you will need.

yep, post a link to the tumbler you are thinking about and we can help you with the math. the thing is it takes weeks of 24/7 running to polish most rocks. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
  the thing is it takes weeks of 24/7 running to polish most rocks.  highdesertranger

Yup...highdesertranger....that was a shock to the system to realize how long it takes to tumble a handful of rocks.  I think a cabbing machine might take less time, but I think they need lots more power, and they cost more than I can invest.

yeah I am not trying to discourage you, in fact I am all for it. I have cut geodes in half with a diamond blades in angle grinders. although I have never tried it I thought you could polish with the angle grinders with the right discs. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah I am not trying to discourage you,  in fact I am all for it.  I have cut geodes in half with a diamond blades in angle grinders.  although I have never tried it I thought you could polish with the angle grinders with the right discs.  highdesertranger

I have never polished rocks with a tumbler, I have used a rechargable dremel tool to polish a single surface , it did take a long time though.
I polished an agate which is fairly soft , I think it would depend on the hardness.

yeah talc you can polish by hand with sandpaper. you can also carve it with a pocket knife. some of it looks like jade. highdesertranger

This looks like a windshield wiper motor he used in this build.  Pretty simple setup with a computer fan to cool it and a switch to go forward and reverse.  Swivel casters to keep it aligned  Probably need a gamma lid on that bucket to make it easier to open and close. 

Note: The above is a 30 second video of a homemade 12 volt rock tumbler.  There looks to be a few more made by the same fella for a series.

Put a shaft and some fins on a barrel... park by a stream... and let the stream tumble your rocks for a few weeks?

TMG51 said:
Put a shaft and some fins on a barrel... park by a stream... and let the stream tumble your rocks for a few weeks?

This is a great idea!  I've  done a lot of research into this subject---regarding both the power issue and the noise issue, and come to a conclusion.  Since this is our first foray into the realm of full timing, and our first RV (class C), I'm going to hold off on setting anything up for this RIGHT NOW.  BUT.  We are headed to Quartzite in September, and I think I may pull the trigger on something once we're there and talk to more lapidary peeps down there.  I'm a hands-on sort of person, and I think I'd make better decisions if I actually saw someone doing this so I can ask them questions and actually see what kind of results they're getting.  I thank everyone for their suggestions and ideas.  I DO want to get into lapidary stuff though.  But maybe doing something less "impacting" with hand tools.  Not sure what though.  I know one thing, however.  I love rocks!  LOL!

If you love rocks you are going to be in ecstasy in Quartzsite! I love them too and have spent way to much time looking at all the vendors wares. They have at least one rock hounding club there that you can join and I think it may meet at the QIA. There are calendars posted here and there through Quartzsite that list when and where they meet. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if you can't figure out something that bolts onto your wheels instead of the hubcaps.  Polish while you drive.

There might be some issues to work out, like too much speed and thus too much centrifugal force, but I like the idea in theory.

WanderingCanuck said:
  Polish while you drive.

Modify something like this little trailer. Add a belt drive like they use on scooters to turn a drum or two:

Attachments

• empty_trailer.jpg
    empty_trailer.jpg
    117.1 KB

Latest posts