O2 sensors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
I confess that I am an old-school, self-taught, shade tree mechanic. I'm much more comfortable thinking in terms of hopping up an engine by slapping on headers, a new camshaft, and an Edelbrock with dual Hollys than I am in thinking about upgrading computer chips.

But I am trying to move into the 21st century. I've been studying a book called AUTOMOTIVE DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEMS: Understanding OBD-I and OBD-II by Keith McCord.

I was surprised to discover that he claims that O2 sensors are a consumable item, that they will degrade and adversely affect your gas milage LONG before they get bad enough to generate an error code and cause the Service Engine Now light to come on.

He maintains that they should be routinely changed every 50,000 miles under average driving conditions, and every 25,000 mies under severe conditions. He claims the savings at the gas pump will MORE than pay the cost of the new sensors.

Damn, that's the first time I've ever come across THAT bit of information.

Regards
John

Yea I can see that. They are constantly being mucked up by exhaust and compounded so if you fail to do regular tuneups. Most are fairly easy to change and are not super expensive (I think mine was $40) and probably a good thing to have on the list to change every few years. I think I will swap mine out now that you mention it...

FWIW, he does say that there is a special socket for O2 sensors, and that trying to do them with an adjustable wrench is a BAD idea.

Regards
John

Yeah of an O2 sensor code comes up, likely the sensor has been less effective for a long time.

Do not use Bosch 02 sensors in Chrysler products. NTK was OEM.

Despite claims of fuel system cleaners they can also help to degrade sensors, or just push them over the edge.

what your reading is true. the older(non heated) o2 sensors don't last very long. the newer ones(heated) are a little better, but still need to be changed well before 100k. also if you have any type of engine problem that has to do with the air fuel mixture they should be changed. this includes an extremely dirty air filter, bad maf sensor, bad map sensor, bad tps, bad collant temp sensor, a batch of bad gas, etc, etc. what stern says about fuel system cleaners is also true. also regular silicone gasket sealer will kill one quick. a 13/16 box end wrench will fit them if you have the access. highdesertranger