Now Solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Now that I have a much better understanding of the charge controllers..

Let's talk Solar panels..

Here is the Million dollar question

Are there solar panels the will produce with it being partially covered up? Such as partially parked under shade or partially covered with a tarp

Not really... you will get some juice out of them but and covering or shading will drastically reduce output.... some people tackle this by using more panels and/or having some portable units they can move around into the sun to augment the std install.

There was a discussion on wiring in series or parallel, also different types of panel construction and believe it or not controllers. I believe some touted parallel systems because of the effects of shading only affected the panel in the shade on multiple panel systems. The cheaper at the time panels I think absorbed more light due to the way they were constructed and used PWM controllers? I has been a while since we had a discussion on these issues so improvements and new ideas may have come about but the information is here somewhere. Bottom line was you can never have enough solar so build the largest system you have space for and can afford. Panel mounts need to be adjustable for winter months while sitting 2 weeks at a time. Portable systems allow you to park in the shade while your panels are in the sun in the summer.

I think you're going to want to make sure the panels you get have bypass diodes in them. Also, properly insulate the roof of your vehicle and don't be as afraid to park right in the sun. But hey, you can't win em all...

The short answer is no. There are no solar panels that perform well in partial or complete shade.

If your solar panels are organized in strings, one partially shaded panel can bring down the production of the whole string. So keep that in mind, too.

I have made over 200 videos on solar on my Youtube channel that may be of interest to you. Will Prowse has some good videos, too, but solar for beginner series has more views :) Yes, I am biased!

https://www.youtube.com/ldsreliance

Which way are you shading them?

There is a difference in if you shade one of the string of cells from the side vs all of the strings across the top or bottom. Across the side you will only lose the output of that string. Across the top/bottom and you hamper all of the strings.