Novel luxuries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velojym

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread, I've spelled out some of the waffling I'm doing at the moment regarding future plans. As I tend to be a fairly imaginative sort, it can create all sorts of jumble-headedness in my noggin.

One idea is sticking with me, though. I described a tractor-trailer tiny house idea which dedicated the last few feet of the trailer to a foldout deck with a hot tub. A wet bar and sound system (this would have to park on the Loud Side of RTR if used appropriately) would round out a nice little 'bachelor pad'... or even couples' pad, or whatever ya wanna call it.

I recognize that if I ever did this, it would be a good ways off into the future, so a more near-future way of working something like this (yeah, I've oddly bitten into the hot tub idea like a crazy pup, but I get a bit creaky in the joints, and there's nothin' like some bubbly warm water for that) might be feasible.

The Truck design would have a standard, ordinarily fixed-location hot tub, ruggedized and otherwise modified to ride well and hold together during travel. The more near-future design would involve using the ramp door of a cargo trailer, with a couple foldout pieces, to create a deployable rear deck, upon which can rest a 6 person inflatable spa. The thusly exposed rear part of the trailer can house a tall-teardrop style kitchenette with a fridge and drink-mixing facilities. :)

I've seen these ramps load rated to between 1000 and 3000 lbs, give or take, resting on the ground as a ramp. If I mount some folding legs to support the thing level, I think I could keep that rating fairly high, in order to support the approximately 3000 lbs of tub(including pump/heater), water, and people that would need to sit on it. An awning could provide shade, and I'd maybe see if I could work in some screen material for the sides, for when it's needed.

I think that'd be a nice oasis in the desert. :cool:

Or, simpler, since the tub deflates to a fairly small size, just roll out a bamboo mat on the ground and set it up there, with a folding canopy tent over it.

I'm pretty familiar with the care and feeding of hot tubs, having grown up with one, but I think these portable units could be a nice thing to have along. It takes up a little space in the trailer, even stowed, but oh man... does it feel good.
I thought about a pool for that last one, but 250 gallons of water would be far easier to truck out there than a few thousand. :)

The biggest issue is the water. 250 gallons is 2000 lbs and that's just for the tub. You will need more for your personal use. Second is heating that much water. My 6 gallon water heater goes through a lot heating up the tank and then keeping it hot. Heating a hot tub is going to be a pricey endeavor. The last thing is disposal of the water. You can bring it in a tank but driving a full hot tub to the dump station is going to be a flood especially on the road to the RTR site. It will be treated water so I am pretty sure they do not want it dumped out in the wild but you would have to check with the rangers as to what the rules are. Even if they let you dump it, 250 gallons is a lot and the desert doesn't suck it up like you would think.

One of the guys who camped downriver from us last year had a portable hot tub, a lot of hose, a submersible pump and a portable water heater.

His idea of heaven was the hot tub set up outside with heated water pumped up from the river.

Of course, this means only using it when camped next to water but it sure beats trying to carry 2000 lb minimum of water slopping around in any kind of container.

I don't know if inflatable spa holds less water, but quick search said 450 gallons of water for hot tub big enough for 6 people.
A quick search also shows 450 gallons of water weighs 3755 pounds. Also, don't people normally use gear that's rated at least double what they're trying to do, for safety?

I love your idea. I think it will be awesome if you can manage.

Add to the crazy idea Jim. What if you got one of those camp chef instant water heater and hook up the input line from drain line of the spa?

Yeah, definitely a challenge. The model I'm considering says, IIRC, 250-280 gallons, so still a ton or so.
The other issues are also in mind, and I've been checking out a DIY solar heater, propane tankless water heater (run off the generator... haven't looked at that too closely yet, so be gentle),
or even campfire powered. I'd use a small generator for the pump and heater, but would want to get the temp up a bit beforehand if I could, say, with a black bag or the like.

Considering the idea of living light, this would be a horrible burden to carry, but the "cool factor" and the idea of watching a desert sunset from a hot tub out in the middle of nowhere... there's a certain romance to that.

Just floating the idea (pun! :D ) I may never do this, but I like letting my brain out to play sometimes.

I did see one setup on youtube where some folks stacked some logs in a square, two layers high, and used a 20x20 black tarp to hold the water from a nearby river, and pumped water through a campfire coil to heat it. I just don't see that happening in the big dry.

one word "Hot Springs", ok 2 words. natures hot tub. no need to carry water, pumps, or fuel to heat water. much better option IMO. highdesertranger

I can imagine what stream or lake water will do to a water heater. When younger we had to heat water in pots for the bath. A few pots boiling and some cold.

We all can't be near a hot spring every time we need it.

In all the places I've been over the years, the only hot spring I've actually experienced were the bathhouses in Hot Springs AR.
Kinda felt like a sanitorium, industrialized and just not real pleasant.

I'd love to visit a natural spring that hasn't been built over like that.

Yeah, you'd have to filter stream water before running it through anything sensitive. One thing I thought was kinda cool was a thermal siphoning solar heater. I'd design it to use a small fire at night.

Using local water is definitely recommended. Rig up a large rocket stove with firewood, use a water pump to run the water through a coil inside. I've seen campfire coils for sale but don't know how they'd hold up under those conditions. You might want to create something larger with some copper pipe.

You could regulate the heat by adding or not adding fuel and turning the pump off.

If firewood is out of the question, an on demand propane water heater could do the job. You'd want a good filter for the water going into it.

that's what nice about the high desert, you are never very far from a hot spring. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
that's what nice about the high desert,  you are never very far from a hot spring.  highdesertranger

Hot springs?  Not a luxury, a necessity! 

Where I'm headed, already have them mapped.

rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

Back when I was caving (wild caves) in  the T.A.G area ( Tenn. , Alabama , Georgia.), there was a caver's place we stayed at after a caving trip ( Pettyjohn's cave , near Lafayette,Ga.). I think there was 4 of us sitting in the hot tub. It had a submerged wood stove in it. It was call a Aqua Stove. That was close to 20 years ago. It was quite a intimate hot tub. lol. not much room in it, but it was nice and hot. The alcohol was flowing. 2 males. 2 females. Caver's, there a wild bunch. Some of them. They knew how to party. What was this thread about? :D

Couldn't find aqua heater brand. But here's the same thing. Called a Snorkel wood-fired hot tub. Link:
http://snorkel.com/hot-tub-products/wood-fired-hot-tubs.php

The hot tub the caver had wasn't all that big. He made it him self. Seem's like it was like a huge barrel shaped. But..."The alcohol was flowing".

[size=medium]youtube link to the cave. Pettyjohn's: 

NW of Phoenix is castle hot springs.  I have never been on the property said:
"In all the places I've been over the years, the only hot spring I've actually experienced were the bathhouses in Hot Springs AR.
Kinda felt like a sanitorium, industrialized and just not real pleasant.

I'd love to visit a natural spring that hasn't been built over like that.

Yeah, you'd have to filter stream water before running it through anything sensitive. One thing I thought was kinda cool was a thermal siphoning solar heater. I'd design it to use a small fire at night."