not so much a food

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it in gardening. What are you looking to do with it?

We use it around the yard to discourage fleas and ticks.

You will find it in polishes. Used to be used in toothpaste. It is used as a filtering medium for liquids. A spoon full will flick you up.

I understood that there is a food grade version that helps general good health

1977dodge said:
I understood that there is a food grade version that helps general good health
Never heard that and I thought I'd at least heard about every natural remedy ingredient out there. After the (mild) warnings I know of I never would have thought to ingest it. Gonna have to look into that just because I'm curious.

I had to refresh my memory on why people use it as a supplement...the reasons are anecdotal rather than applied science at this point for the most part. I've been meaning to get some because of the silica which is supposed to have many benefits for the joints. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17435951 Make sure it's FOOD grade diatomaceous earth.

Anecdotal reasons people use FOOD grade diatomaceous earth:
- better digestive health
- more regular bowel movements
- detoxifies
- healthier colon
- reduced cholesterol
- better food absorption
- better night's sleep
- clearer skin
- stronger teeth and gums
- healthier hair and nails
- less joint and ligament pain
- helps arthritis
- less sickness
- more energy
- soothes burns
- insect bites
- clears skin rashes
- less acne
- possible antiparasitic
- could lower Candida levels

Food grade diatomaceous earth is 89% silica

Diatomaceous earth is fossil shells. It has a lot of surface area so is used as a filtering medium. It has sharp edges so is used as a polishing agent. What part of sharp do you want in your intestine? Food grade DE is certified as a filtering agent for water or juices, not for eating.

I know from having worked in the pool industry they use it in the filters. So I always thought it would have to be safe in case it was accidentally ingested.

There is a facebook group that often mentions it as a cure-all for everything from stomach ailments to the Black Plague. That is a bit to natural for my taste LOL .

Lee is right, one thing it's used for is to put in food for long term storage. It's rough and sharp so insects crawl around in it and it gets into their exo-skeleton and grinds them apart. For example, as you pour rice in a 5 gallon bucket you would pour in a cup or two of DE. Apparently you can eat it because you couldn't seperate it from the rice/flour etc.
Bob

I have never heard of eating it, but it is good to control crawling insects, especially ants. highdesertranger

I tried a cup full and here 30mins later still alive :D

theres actually two vids but they got seperated

1977dodge said:
I tried a cup full and here 30mins later still alive :D
 I  hope you mean a small amount in a cup of liquid, not a cup of DE
anewbiewannabe said:
Here's a link that has how-to instructions: http://www.diatomaceousearth.com/diatomaceous-earth-human/  It's used in grain storage and as an anti-caking agent as well so it's most likely everyone has eaten it whether they knew it or not---that's why it's FOOD grade.  Hydration is important.  

Glad you survived! :p

Interesting.. :rolleyes: info in that link...they write that trace minerals means UP to 1% and then go on to claim that the full 1% is there. The site fails to list what the 14 different trace minerals are!

Something tells me that there's better ways to get the 14 different trace minerals into your diet if indeed you need them and that the small traces you're getting with DE aren't sufficient to make any significant changes in ones health anyways.

And yes, I'm always a little leery of claims that one product can cure a whole host of ills. Call me skeptical.

Almost There said:
 I  hope you mean a small amount in a cup of liquid, not a cup of DE

Interesting.. :rolleyes: info in that link...they write that trace minerals means UP to 1% and then go on to claim that the full 1% is there. The site fails to list what the 14 different trace minerals are!

Something tells me that there's better ways to get the 14 different trace minerals into your diet if indeed you need them and that the small traces you're getting with DE aren't sufficient to make any significant changes in ones health anyways.

And yes, I'm always a little leery of claims that one product can cure a whole host of ills. Call me skeptical.

yes i meant a cup of water with a spoonfull in it  :D