Northern Utah help.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waywest

Reaction score
Going to be homeless in April.I was wandering if anyone knows of any good free camp sites.Most of the forest grounds  open around the end of May.So looking for Blm land with access for a truck towing a travel trailer .

Thanks Robert

Freecampsites.net and campendium.com are great resources.

But please understand that you can NOT live on public land. It is against the regulations, will get you a citation, and will cause lands to be closed for everyone

With the snow you're getting, it might be well into June before Forest Service and BLM roads are passable. But Utah is covered in public land, so there are plenty of choices. Check at ranger offices or with locals. Hunters know all the good spots, and most Utahans hunt.

Also, do you need to stick around northern UT or can you wander farther?

Van-Tramp said:
But please understand that you can NOT live on public land. 

But you can CAMP for 14 days in a spot then move 25 miles to another spot, or to a different ranger district.

Local knowledge is a key to finding campsites, some of which are not listed in finding aids such as freecampsites.net.

When passing through a town in the late afternoon, I sometimes stop at sporting goods stores and ask young employees where local people like to do weekend camping. This question sometimes produce leads to good local sites which are unknown to outsiders.

Go to the LTVA near Quartzite. Plenty of places and support too.

Getting my va disability rasied.Gotta stick around for the review appointments..Otherwise I would leave the area.Va is know for the slow wheels.Latest projection from them is a August completion.

MrNoodly said:
With the snow you're getting, it might be well into June before Forest Service and BLM roads are passable. But Utah is covered in public land, so there are plenty of choices. Check at ranger offices or with locals. Hunters know all the good spots, and most Utahans hunt.

I live here.They open labor day.  Not to much snow this year.I think they will open on time.
Thanks for the info.

I just don't know the bom part.Never had a need to camp there since moving here .just need to buy time for forest service to open up.

Off roading? Will you be bringing an ATV or ? with you?

Some of us are camped together at one of the LTVAs in Quartzsite. You do have to pay but you have a free dump station, potable water, trash pickup, bathrooms and great campsites for $180 for the whole season (Sep 15 - Apr 15)

We have our ATV with us and take trips into the desert daily. Another benefit of staying in AZ for the winter months is that we can also use the ATV as our car as it’s street legal in AZ.

Yes next winter we will down in az.

I have a sandrail with a corvair  engine in  the worksnow. I  will have that or buy something else.

I looked up sandrail. That looks like a fast beast! Are they street legal in AZ?

I just have a putt putt 500 Artic Cat. It’s top speed is 46 mph but it has never failed me and climbed everything I’ve asked it to out in the desert.

It carried a big piece of quartz back to camp the other day. It looks like it sunk in the sand but actually that pit was dug out so it would be low enough to wrestle the rock into the back.

b66faf38dc48defc3d73e89188a3f75e.jpg

You’ll have tons of fun if you bring your beast out here.

Yes sand rails can be street legal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171120-130548.png
    Screenshot_20171120-130548.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 7
The green river is likely closest, doable for a ways north of Moab, not sure about farther.

Latest posts