Nor'easter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsallysmom

Reaction score
Well just finished going through my first three nor'easters in a row in North Carolina on the Outer Banks in a 5th wheel. The first time the park service moved us to a protected area. Second was a tiny one without issue. The third time, last night,we weren't told to move and we should have. I took bonine so as to not get sick from the shaking. 
The wind blew so hard the water was coming in between the bottom of the window and above the channel that supports the window. Strong enough to roll the boxed canopy out from under the 5er. I'm at a place washing and drying all the towels and other stuff I used to sop up.  
By the time we realized we should have left it was too windy to leave.
We certainly have learned some valuable lessons. I shall be scoping out some safe nooks when I  go out today. And of course to trust ourselves to make the decision to move to safer surroundings.

Good thing you didn't learn like others do by paying the ultimate price. The weather will always be a crap shoot. I spent many years being ridiculed because I'd play things safe when I was a truck driver.

Glad to hear you, and your rig, are ok. We can get big wind here in the sw too, but it is usually dry, outside of monsoon.

Thanks y'all. Its a big step from NM to NC. We are definitely getting an education. We are on the Outer Banks and the dunes took a tremendous hit with water washing over in multiple places. Amazing how much money is spent piling that sand back up again. I shall now hear nor'easter and think small hurricane and plan accordingly. Thanks for advice. I shall rinse the slide mechanisms with water hose. I have free rinse station at my disposal and run the truck through several times a week. Still surprised at how quick stuff is showing rust.