Noob

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae50

Reaction score
Hello...

Thought I would introduce myself.  I am from Wisconsin and currently am in the planning phase.  I would welcome anyone connecting with me on how to get myself out there faster.  Thank you and I look forward to learning as much as I can.

DaisyMae

Welcome Daisy Mae to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL forums Daisy Mae.

Everybody is different on when and how they make the jump to a nomadic lifestyle..

Good luck on the adventure..

Hello DaisyMae,
WELCOME. This is such a great place, isn't it? Just a quick note to let you know that I too am in Wisc and will be making the transition this year. Currently, I live in the Fond du Lac area. I wonder how many others there are in WI, it sure would be nice to have a little get together or coffee clutch. I'll post a Newbie "about me" soon. Today, I'm busy tie dying some t-shirts. Bless you DaisyMae!
amuseD

aMUSEd I have been sooo busy lately.  I have decided in my head anyway to make the switch.  I actually am thinking about doing this with a teardrop trailer and a Nissan Cube.  I have a home base even after I sell my house here.  I own a tiny house type cabin on an acre of land that is off grid and cheap to keep.  So, my plan is to do this part of year and the other part of the year I will be here- at least for now.  So, I have questions about how one handles the single life.  I have watched the videos saying loneliness isn\'t an issue, but I still wonder about that especially if you haven't been to the RTR or something similar.  I am worried about the health insurance, but after a little while, I am assuming that my income will be low enough for some type of Medicaid enhanced insurance.  I will also have my Cobra for the first year.  I think they pretty much force you into doing that anyway.I am 50 years young.  I had a heart attack this past August.  It made me really wonder about what the heck I am doing with the rest of my life and why I am waiting until 67 until I retire.  What does retirement mean anyway?  Well, for most folks they are getting more chronic illnesses by that time, selling their house, moving into apartments or Rv's and burying loved ones.  Well, why wait to downsize?  Why wait until one has to give up everything to focus on what matters most which is your own happiness and being happy with other people?  So, that is what I am thinking.Living in a capitalist society means most of us have an addiction to stuff.  It makes it hard to say no.  And then, if you don't share the materialist illness, they call that a little sick in the head.  It's a lot of mental stuff overcome.  I am in Western Wisconsin- almost straight across from you.  :) For others reading this, would love to hear from folks who are doing this life with a tiny car and a tiny camper.  Will hopefully get a picture of my setup as soon as the weather cooperates.  My teardrop is essentially a bed on wheels.  I have AC in it.  I need to put solar in it.  So, will need pointers on that.  I also want to use the cube's flat top to generate solar as well.  So, I have lots to think about there.I am getting ready to put my house up for sale this spring.  That's the biggest jump.  I will be living out of my vehicle and teardrop after that.  I won't be giving up my job yet.  I plan to work another year with socking away all the money I am saving from not having all the bills associated with that.  My tiny cabin is paid for and off grid and is about an hour drive from where I work.  I have friends who will let me crash with the camper during the week in their yard.  So, will see how that goes this coming spring.  That's the plan thus far.  If anyone has any pointers on sorting the belongings of one's life, let me know.  I will sure appreciate pointers.  Daisy Mae'

aMUSEd said:
Hello DaisyMae,
WELCOME. This is such a great place, isn't it? Just a quick note to let you know that I too am in Wisc and will be making the transition this year. Currently, I live in the Fond du Lac area. I wonder how many others there are in WI, it sure would be nice to have a little get together or coffee clutch. I'll post a Newbie "about me" soon. Today, I'm busy tie dying some t-shirts. Bless you DaisyMae!
amuseD

Hello amuseD,

I am not from Wisconsin, but have visited a few times.  If you have a get together or coffee clutch on a weekend this Spring 2018, I would love to join you!

Souleem

“It made me really wonder about what the heck I am doing with the rest of my life and why I am waiting until 67 until I retire.”

I am sorry about your health issues, but I’m thinking like you (Why wait until 67 to retire).

“I won't be giving up my job yet.  I plan to work another year with socking away all the money I am saving from not having all the bills associated with that."

Hmmm, that is good thinking!  Maybe I’ll buy an unused 2018 van, work another year and pay it off, thus becoming a part-time van dweller for a year before going full-time in a hopefully dependable vehicle … with zero debt.

Thanks for the great idea!

Souleem

You are most welcome!  There are always many options.  And why not try it out first?  Some have to dive in full-time because they don\'t have the choice or existential stuff is so compelling.  This way I can transition easily and also have health matters not so much up in the air.  Good luck.  Keep in touch.  Would love to see how it goes for you.'

Latest posts