Non-foam Mattress Suggestions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread I have recently switched to a new bed.

It is a bed with a rope surface that I made. I'll be posting pics soon

I am trying figure how to cushion my body from the rope.

What I have tried thus far is layers of things on hand: comforter, blanket, mattress pad. But I'm still feeling the rope because these things tend to push down between the rope. If I had more things to make more layers, eventually it would work, but I've used everything I have. 

I don't want to use foam or anything else with artificial chemicals in it. I would like to use cotton or wool batting but it is too expensive.

So far I have thought of two ways to go.

1. Buy something thick and soft and merely cover it with a sheet.
2. Buy something thin and tough (but it has to be very flexible) and put my existing layers on top of it. 

A mattress topper won't work because they probably have flame retardant chemicals in them and organic ones are very expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions that would be inexpensive ?

myway_1 said:
As mentioned in another thread I have recently switched to a new bed.

It is a bed with a rope surface that I made. I'll be posting pics soon

I am trying figure how to cushion my body from the rope.

What I have tried thus far is layers of things on hand: comforter, blanket, mattress pad. But I'm still feeling the rope because these things tend to push down between the rope. If I had more things to make more layers, eventually it would work, but I've used everything I have. 

I don't want to use foam or anything else with artificial chemicals in it. I would like to use cotton or wool batting but it is too expensive.

So far I have thought of two ways to go.

1. Buy something thick and soft and merely cover it with a sheet.
2. Buy something thin and tough (but it has to be very flexible) and put my existing layers on top of it. 

A mattress topper won't work because they probably have flame retardant chemicals in them and organic ones are very expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions that would be inexpensive ?
I used to have a rope bed. I used a cotton futon on it. The mattress, not the frame like what they call futons now.

Gypsy Jane said:
I used to have a rope bed. I used a cotton futon on it. The mattress, not the frame like what they call futons now.

A cotton futon without flame retardant would be perfect but its more than I can afford.

This is a picture of the bed. I'll be posting another thread with details shortly.

WIN_20160312_090207.JPG

Attachments

• WIN_20160312_090207.JPG
    WIN_20160312_090207.JPG
    933.2 KB · Views: 29
myway_1 said:
I don't want to use foam or anything else with artificial chemicals in it.

Just FYI.  The Foam Factory:

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/latexmattress.html

Sells hypoallergenic LATEX foam mattresses and mattress toppers.  The description says that:

"Only food grade ingredients are used during the manufacturing process.  These ingredients are then filtered out with purified drinking water to yield an all-natural latex foam product."

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Just FYI.  The Foam Factory:

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/latexmattress.html

Sells hypoallergenic LATEX foam mattresses and mattress toppers.  The description says that:

"Only food grade ingredients are used during the manufacturing process.  These ingredients are then filtered out with purified drinking water to yield an all-natural latex foam product."

Regards
John
Natural latex foam would also be an excellent solution but it's more than I can afford.

Maybe try laying a large sheet of cardboard from a discarded packing box(es) on top of the ropes?  Cheap and easily replaceable later.

for wool you can go straight to the source and buy it raw. find someone with sheep, shearing season is coming up. wool is cheap raw. of course you would need to wash it yourself. highdesertranger

LeeRevell said:
Maybe try laying a large sheet of cardboard from a discarded packing box(es) on top of the ropes?  Cheap and easily replaceable later.

Good suggestion. It may not be flexible enough. It may be too hard and uncomfortable. But its cheap or free so its worth a try. Thanks!

myway_1 said:
Thanks. I did that.
Most use cotton or wool batting or latex foam. All of which are too expensive.

Straw has too many drawbacks. It pokes through and it gets moldy.

There is also buckwheat, but it is too expensive.

I know this is an old thread but hopefully you'll get this. Have you looked into rice hulls? Where I was living in southeast Missouri there are a lot of rice farmers and rice hulls are free for the most part.