Nomading in van with ALS ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie W

Reaction score
Having only found a couple threads re the challenge of ALS (Lou Gehrig's),
questions:
1. to house an electric wheelchair, hoyer-lift, & bedding, how long would such van need to be?
2. to keep temp a constant... 80 degrees, How can the van be Insulated?
3. How many Solar panels would all the needs need?
4. beyond all requisite skills to care for such an individual, how difficult is it to safely drive such a vehicle?
5. How can the ride be made as smooth (Hovercraft-like) as possible?
and any other considerations you can think of.  Thank you.

I've been using and working on vans for about 50-years and that's some tough questions Annie.

As you know any vehicle will respond to the outdoor temperature at the time. Good insulation merely slows down the process some.

The best insulation that I know of is Polyiso, but it takes time and an effort to get it cut and installed in a van properly.

No van rides real smooth... maybe an air bag suspension ($$$$$) would help a little.

Riverman said:
I've been using and working on vans for about 50-years and that's some tough questions Annie.
Yes, Riverman.

(on 1 hand - on yet two harmful drugs one could rot into the ground on more crap they dare call 'treatment', as usual.)
On the other hand,
work on Eliminating various neuro-degenerative causes, & empower the body to heal. Only nature & its means make good sense.
So for support & encouragement for some time efforts made creating a Food forest where its development, & healing can be observed
from inside a house, with momentary outside visits as possible. With enuf progress, how wonderful to be able to pluck the produce right off the plant for instant nutrient-dense nourishment. Hope springs eternal.

Thank you for caring...  to positively respond. Enjoy Spring Riverman

Annie, I have a friend who is a very high functioning paraplegic. He plays basketball and has a Honda Goldwing trike.
He could not do it. It was just too small for him to do all the things he needed to do.
A porta potti will cause pressure sores if a person is doing a bowel program.
You just cannot take an effective shower...especially if a helper is needed, inside a van.
(I bet people are going to jump all over me...but Cody does everything and he got skin issues because of it.)
He ended up getting a box van dually and had the back set up with a 3X4 foot shower and said it was a different life.
(Keep in mind, he does everything himself. ALS needs room for a helper also.)
There has to be space to do this in a healthy, clean way.
He has a 50 gallon water tank, instant hot water heater and a tripod hung from the ceiling.
Might I suggest you speak to "Enigmatic Nomadic" on Youtube and check out his short-bus builds? I am very sure he would converse with you.
For the money invested, one of those likely represents the most cost effective ways of getting a vehicle with a chair lift already installed.

PM me if you want and I will contact Cody to see if I can get some pictures for you.
While I am all for anyone going mobile, make 100% certain the individual KNOWS the consequences of giving up their brick/mortar address.
Being able to have aides come in to ones own home is a much better option than having to enter a care facility.
Cody has an "in-law" apartment in his uncles basement and has had to go there for in-home nursing care twice in the last five years or so.
They would NOT come to his camper to help him...even in a campground.
(This may be different where you are, but make certain.)
If there is any other way I can help you please let me know.

JD GUMBEE, thank you for your caring response.

1. The individual involved would first need to really want to do it;
which
2. Neither of us at this point agree on. But when/as healing is experienced,
some Trips I think would actually be beneficial.
3. I was just asking about what might be required vehicle-wise.
4. Any Caregiving is already settled.

Yeah for Cody :)

Whether you are disabled, athletic, poor, or rich, living in bricks and sticks generally sux because you cannot control your exterior (constantly changing) neighbors, from across the street usually: not to mention the fixed and inherent power grid pollution.

It's hard enough to do for anyone, and constraints make it harder. But any consciously aware person should make it a primary motivation to achieve. I hope you pool your resources and make it happen, because disabled people have incoming resources: which alone makes them a target. It's easier to rearrange your life now than endure cell-destroying activities from the nearest garage, direct into your bedroom window. The clock is ticking. Ymmv.

breeze said:
Whether you are disabled, athletic, poor, or rich, living in bricks and sticks generally sux
because you cannot control your exterior (constantly changing) neighbors, from across the street usually:
not to mention the fixed and inherent power grid pollution.

It's hard enough to do for anyone, and constraints make it harder.
But any consciously aware person should make it a primary motivation to achieve.
I hope you pool your resources and make it happen, because disabled people have incoming resources: which alone makes them a target.
It's easier to rearrange your life now than endure cell-destroying activities from the nearest garage, direct into your bedroom window. The clock is ticking. Ymmv.
Hello breeze,
What do you mean ?
Might be a culture & language-thing, as English is my 4th language of further others.
also
re "consciously aware": do you believe that is superior ?, to being subconsciously aware.

Annie W said:
Hello breeze,
What do you mean ?
Might be a culture & language-thing, as English is my 4th language of further others.
also
re "consciously aware": do you believe that is superior ?, to being subconsciously aware.

Ha ha, no. It's just on a higher level of cognition; and more likely leads to formalized action plans of behavioral change.

It's all on a continuous evolution of perceiving reality and making changes from the feedback. I have latent blast-shock traumatic brain injury, so I'd rather have all the subconscious resources possible! Even though advertisers manipulate us through our subconscious, it would be what my 88 year old mother calls 'common sense.' One can say it is probably 'more' important, but it must be investigated thoroughly to reveal it's worth; or it's existence will not be exploited and/or acted upon. I hope that makes sense. Except for Math, I could never learn a second language  :(

Hello again,
okay the TOPIC of this discussion relates to concerns re ALS.
You wrote a bunch of things that mostly do not apply, so I asked What do you mean ?

in your 2nd. post, (only responding to 1 question), you did not explain your 1st. post at all,
so now it has gone even more OFF-topic. Sigh.