Nomadic off-grid cooking choices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust of the Sun

Reaction score
I am preparing for a grid-down situation and just bought several items, including:<br><br>a Kelly Kettle<br>Stanisport Butane cooking stove with 36 butane cartridges<br>a Rocket Stove that burns wood/charcoal/twigs/leaves etc...used by NGO's in Haiti<br><br>would love to hear what cooking choices the truly mobile out there are making...aside from the typical coleman stoves and such using propane and/or white gas<br><br>Are there any other doo-dads and newfangled cooking methods I'm missing?? The Kelly Kettle is great for boiling water to use with dehydrated or freeze-dried foods...the Rocket Stove (I think $65) is great for anywhere off the beaten path when you have no store to buy propane/coleman fuel etc....the butane stove's limiting factor is the 36 butane cartridges I have from Amazon...you eventually run out.&nbsp; Other ideas??<br><br>

Dust of the Sun said:
I am preparing for a grid-down situation and just bought several items, including:<br><br>a Kelly Kettle<br>Stanisport Butane cooking stove with 36 butane cartridges<br>a Rocket Stove that burns wood/charcoal/twigs/leaves etc...used by NGO's in Haiti<br><br>would love to hear what cooking choices the truly mobile out there are making...aside from the typical coleman stoves and such using propane and/or white gas<br><br>Are there any other doo-dads and newfangled cooking methods I'm missing?? The Kelly Kettle is great for boiling water to use with dehydrated or freeze-dried foods...the Rocket Stove (I think $65) is great for anywhere off the beaten path when you have no store to buy propane/coleman fuel etc....the butane stove's limiting factor is the 36 butane cartridges I have from Amazon...you eventually run out.&nbsp; Other ideas??<br><br>
<div><br></div><div>Propane is unlikely to encounter the availability problems after TSHTF that butane, white gas, and other similarly exotic fuels will.</div>

hey vonu, I totally agree with you on the availability of fuels and fully believe my butane canisters will be unavailable at some point which is why I bought 36 to start...once they are gone (and I may buy more) then it's the kelly kettle to eat the Mountain House dehydrated &amp; freeze dried entrees...then the Rocket Stove for general cooking if it's down to twigs and leaves!!!...I should (if I'm going to be a completist (anal) get a propane stove of some sort too so all bases are covered at least in cooking. Anybody got any recommendations for small, relatively inexpensive propane stoves...one burner probably is fine...I still need to read the jetboil review.....?????? Love this site and the people on it!!!! Dust<br>

I have this guy in my van...it works extremely well, takes up little room and I have customized it so I can use the canister a bit further away from the stove. I have the stove screwed down to my cooking shelf.<br><br><b>http://tinyurl.com/3tr729c<br><br>Bri<br></b><br>